Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

1st Set of Pro-1 Headers installed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Set of Pro-1 Headers installed!

Ok, so I finally decided to splurge and get the Pro-1 Headers that Moog (a member here) has been trying to sell for a while - as far as I know, I'm the first person to have installed these headers on a Z/G... First off, I got a great deal from Moog on these headers, and since he can get you any Pro-1 part you need, contact him for pricing (I don't know if I want to post how much I paid for them) - what I do know is that installation is a bitch with headers... it took my mechanic about 9 hrs to install these so it cost a pretty penny ($420) - SGP in Houston quoted me $560, so it was still cheaper - the only downside is that I was without the G for a day and a half (if I would have known it was going to be that long, I would have sent my ECU off to TS) - Patrick, my mechanic, said that the headers fit like a dream when he finally got to putting them on (lots of stuff that has to be removed in order to get to them) - you can barely see them from the engine bay, but if you look really hard, they do look nice...

On to my impressions:

When I first started the car up, it was slightly louder, and it seems that the tone of the exhaust at idle is slightly deeper as well - revving it in neutral is a dream... it sounds even meaner than before... cruising around town, they are not much louder than before, which is a good thing... however, when you get on it they really open up and let out a roar above 3500 rpms that is pure bliss... the power band seems to be somewhat wider, with the power "jolt" I used to feel only above 4000 rpms now kicking in about 5-600 rpms sooner...I really think the reflash will further enhance the gains of these... the only downside is that a slight rasp has popped it's head up again around 2500 rpms, but it is much less noticible than ever before - it actually kinda blends in with the new sound... so for the total investment I have in these, I don't think there is a better header on the market - I will go to dyno these in probably two to three weeks to see what gains are made, but I'm guessing around 10 whp and around the same amount of torque - the power coming on sooner in the rev range is worth it alone... so I would recommend these headers over any other header out there right now besides the Crawford's and maybe the Xerd's (but not 100% comparable)...

hopefully this will influence some people to give these a try, I really think they were worth the investment...

2003.5 BS coupe 5AT
Clear Corners, Alum. Pedals, Pro-1 Intake, Resonated Test Pipes, UR Pulley, CF Engine Cover, GReddy EVO II, Kinetix Plenum, Hotchkis Sways, Pro-1 Headers

349211-Header04.jpg

Old 09-22-2004, 03:25 PM
Re: 1st Set of Pro-1 Headers installed!

BTW those are William's (Moog) sweet-a$$ wheels in the pic - Thanks again for the hook-up William!

2003.5 BS coupe 5AT
Clear Corners, Alum. Pedals, Pro-1 Intake, Resonated Test Pipes, UR Pulley, CF Engine Cover, GReddy EVO II, Kinetix Plenum, Hotchkis Sways, Pro-1 Headers

Old 09-22-2004, 04:12 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Can you use all the stock exhaust with them or do you need to replace everything from the collector back? Would be nice if the headers bolted to the stock stuff.

2003 BLK/BLK 6MT Injen, clear corners, Eibach sways and springs, tint
My G on a photo shoot. More to come!

Old 09-22-2004, 06:09 PM
i.love.gold
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

those are sweet wheels...hehe

Yes these headers can be a direct replacment for stock headers.

My pics

Old 09-23-2004, 03:48 PM

These headers, just like all others on the market, can be bolted up to the stock cats and the stock exhaust - but the most gains are going to be discovered by swapping out the entire exhaust system from the cats-back... I have just about every exhaust/intake mod you can have, and the headers were really just icing on the cake - great mod to bring everything together...

Now if I could just spare a couple days to get my ECU reflashed...

2003.5 BS coupe 5AT

Old 09-24-2004, 03:59 AM

So, where can we get these headers? How do we get a hold of Moog? Let me know so I can check it out.

Thanks!

Old 09-24-2004, 04:13 PM

Moog? look a few posts up ^ ^ ^ ^

By the way, these will not be for sale to the public for at least another month as they are currently waiting on the first batch to arrive... but that doesn't mean you can't place an order now and make sure you get one of the first sets...

2003.5 BS coupe 5AT

Old 09-25-2004, 11:04 AM

Hi bzabodyn,
I just bought a set of used DC headers but it did not came with installation manual or anything. I am planning on installing the headers myself. I do have the basic mechanic tools and knowledge. But I afraid I might need specials tools like tools only the dealers have and you can't buy them at a autoshop. You said, "your mechanic had to remove a lot of stuffs in order to get to the headers". Can you be a little specific or you don't know exactly. Do you have to remove any suspension arms, brackets, or??? Also, I would like to ask if any one of you out there that has install headers yourself or have any knowledge of installing these headers, I would really appreciate it if you could fill me in on some advice or tips. Thanks

03 G35 Sedan/5AT/Ivory Pearl/Willow/Navi/Premium/Aero/Body Kit&Spoiler/Greddy Cat-back Exhaust/Injen CAI/Ground Wires Kit/Clear Corner

Old 09-25-2004, 12:03 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

FunkeeGee, here's the how to you need. Some have claimed to do the install in a few hours, seeing what's involved, it's going to take longer then that.

www.350zforum.com/tech/NISMORtuneheaders/NISMORtuneheaders.aspx

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 09-26-2004, 12:20 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Was very helpful.

03 G35 Sedan/5AT/Ivory Pearl/Willow/Navi/Premium/Aero/Body Kit&Spoiler/Greddy Cat-back Exhaust/Injen CAI/Ground Wires Kit/Clear Corner

Old 10-08-2004, 03:06 PM
i.love.gold

Just got a big shipment in of the headers for anyone interested. =)

My pics

Old 10-12-2004, 05:23 PM

People out there - JUMP ON THESE!!!

They are an awesome set of headers (and even better when you factor in the price) - I've had this set for a good three weeks now and I have to say I'm very pleased with the performance they've added - I didn't think I would notice that big of a change since I have just about every other bolt-on imaginable, but I did... Thanks again William, hopefully many more will be satisfied customers!

2003.5 BS coupe 5AT

Old 10-16-2004, 01:55 AM

Moog,

How much do these headers cost?

TK

Old 10-16-2004, 01:55 AM

moog,
how much for the headers shipped? thanks

Old 10-16-2004, 11:39 AM
i.love.gold

PMs sent

My pics