Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

2003 G35 Sedan Overheating

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:19 AM
Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by darren1219
the thing about getting the thermostat changed, the mechanic lets the car run for about 1-2 hrs and its ok. Its only when i started driving, and driving it for a couple of days does the needle start to move. I haven't driven the car aggressively either. Good luck with your car, i'm going to keep an eye on your updates. Thanks
Very tired at the moment, I left my camera at my condo

But so far I've removed 80% of the entire front end including the front timing chain cover.

Have to remove the headers, cams/sprockets, and yank the heads out inspect a bit and then drop the 350z heads in.

We'll see if indeed it was the headgaskets or cracked block tomorrow.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:43 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by AltimanGxe
ps, by 230 the temp needle starts to move, at 250 your heads ae warped. By the time you notice the needle 75%up its passsed the 242.00 part and well on its way to kabooom status
Where are you getting this information?

I'ver never heard this. In fact, I've had several Infiniti mechanics tell me that as long as it doesn't get 2 notches from the top you should be ok.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
Where are you getting this information?

I'ver never heard this. In fact, I've had several Infiniti mechanics tell me that as long as it doesn't get 2 notches from the top you should be ok.
DaveO or DaveB posted it once, and I too can attest to that.

I have plugged in the consult2 and my actron obd2 scanner/cipher and it tells me to the degree what the temperature is... at 220degrees the gauge has not moved at all from normal.

by 230 it begins to move, by 240 it's climbing slowly about 65% up...

Old 09-25-2010, 04:05 AM
Update:

Heads were warped.

I removed everything and did a upper cylinder overhaul.

NO MORE PROBLEMS!!

Old 04-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
How much did that cost you to do the overhaul?

I think the continued overheating is what caused yoru heads to warp. I wonder what the initial cause was...although it could have been an minor issue with the head as well i guess.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:22 PM
Less than 800 doing it all myself.

Local head shop milled the heads for less than 100 both. The rest was buying new timing guides, seals, o-rings, head gaskets, and plenty of tissue paper for the crying involved with putting the timing together.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
hows your timing with milled heads? cuz infiniti doesnt recommend any shaving if warpage is present........but if it works, it works.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by the_coupe
hows your timing with milled heads? cuz infiniti doesnt recommend any shaving if warpage is present........but if it works, it works.
Timing is great, if anything the car gained some seriously much needed power. No problems with idle or redline timing issues.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really interesting. I have a similar problem like yours. I purchased a g35 2003 sedan a few months ago no problems at all. Then I did my first oil change so I purchased a 5 liter mobil 1 syntetic oil and a FRAM oil filter than brought to a small ARAB garage and paid 15$ for the labor( too lazy to do it on my own ). Since it is my first Infiniti, I didn't know much about it and he told me that the coolant level was low so he added some, he didn't notice the max level so he pourred alot in. Then I drove home, realised that the coolant pourred to the floor all on the way one. I saw that the radiator cap popped and there was a huge mess on my engine. I removed some coolant then started the car back up and drove it. The coolant started bubbling and engine heating. The next day I called a tow which brought me to the infiniti dealer and they did a coolant flush and checked everything. It was ok for about 2 days then it the thermometer started to go high again so I had to park on the side and wait for it to cool down. I went back to the dealer after a few days and now my car is there. Is it because the garage messed it and did some damage or was it going to happen anyways?

Old 04-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Overfilling the coolant won't cause any problems other than the mess when it starts overflowing.

I would guess the Infiniti checked the easiest causes to determine, like checking that the fans come on. If they have not already, they should do a pressure test. Then thermostat (simple fix) and water pump (expensive fix).

Old 04-12-2011, 04:12 PM
Do you have a fan clutch?

Where are you experiencing the overheating? (Highway/City)

Old 04-12-2011, 04:31 PM
They did a pressure test and everything was fine then they made a coolant flush because there was maybe 3-4 mixes of coolant. Drove it for about 1 day then the next day in city and on highway it overheats. I also opened the fan to the max 34 degree and it blows cold air...They told me it was maybe the thermostat...

Old 04-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Finally received a call from dealership, they told me around 600$ tax in for thermostat+gasket+sealant+ seal an oil pan+ bolts because something broke+labor+full inspection of the car...if it continues like this I might switch back to lexus....

Old 04-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Find a less expensive but good shop or learn to DIY.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:39 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by gebebe
Finally received a call from dealership, they told me around 600$ tax in for thermostat+gasket+sealant+ seal an oil pan+ bolts because something broke+labor+full inspection of the car...if it continues like this I might switch back to lexus....
just expensive mechanic

Originally Posted by Eric@TCGMiami
Local head shop milled the heads for less than 100 both. The rest was buying new timing guides, seals, o-rings, head gaskets, and plenty of tissue paper for the crying involved with putting the timing together.
I've heard the timing is a intricate and time consuming part.

How much did you mill off the heads?

I still wonder if your heads were warped to begin with or if that was caused later on from excessive heat buildup on several concurrent occasions.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2003 G35 Sedan Overheating