Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

doing some work on the G, need some advice...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
doing some work on the G, need some advice...

Thanks in advance for any help and info people want to give.

I started tearing into my G over a year ago because of a loud tap. As you rev the engine the tap would get louder and faster. With this info and just putting my ear down near the valve covers, I figured it is probably in the head. So I got in under the valve covers and found that one of my valve clearances was way off, so I'm pretty sure I have at least isolated where it is coming from. Probably will need to get in under that lifter and see what caused it to sink in. If you want to give your opinions on any of this first part of information, I'm down to hear it all.

Now after getting into it, I moved to Miami and the car stayed in North Carolina, as is for over a year. I know that wasn't a great decision, but I thought I was going to get back and fix it before too long, but work traveling inhibited me from doing so. The car is now in Miami and I'm going to work on it, but I now need to know a couple of things as I am working on it.

My main questions are these though.

1.) ...because I left it in a garage in NC in its torn down condition for over a year (i.e. oil pan not sealed, valve cover removed on one side) what sort of things should I be worried about and what due diligence should I do to avoid problems because of leaving it in that form for so long? There doesn't appear to be any rust or anything, but better safe than sorry right?

2.) ...because I found that one of my valve clearances was so off, I am sort of worried about oil starvation having caused the lifter to wear or some other result so I would like to install an oil pressure guage so as to know that I am getting good pressure when I get it back together and try starting it up. What route should I go?

Any other information would be awesome. I know this was a "novel" of a post, but this forum has always seemed to be pretty helpful and tolerant. Thanks again. Look forward to hearing your opinions and advice.

-Cameron

Old 08-23-2010, 06:21 AM
Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
1. The issue would be if any debris entered the engine with valve cover off. If your confident its clean than reinstall valve cover. Change oil.

2. Oil starvation will cause cam follower failure and camshaft wear. If your valve lash clearences are excessive than the camshaft/cam follower will need to be replaced. It will only get worse if you continue driving. The oil pressure will still be normal, thiers not enough bleed off unless you have excessive cam bearing clearences.

Stepping up to straight 50w oil may help quiet motor down. I use 50w oil in my car because of the piston wall clearences.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:43 PM
HotRodG35 - ...thanks for the response...only other piece of info I'd give, is that all of my other clearances are good, just that one, which is why I was thinking a lifter "wear and tear" problem or something broken underneath it?

Old 08-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
If you only have that one lifter clearance you can change follower size. This is assuming no excessive wear on follower.

You can pull camshaft out and measure thickness of cam follower. The size is stamped on underside of follower. Than determine how much you need to add and order from dealer. Thiers guidance in service manual for this.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:19 PM
...great...thanks for the info HotRod..