Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

My engine took a dump WTF!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down My engine took a dump WTF!!!!

Here is the story. Was setting P0420 code, cat ineffecient. I thought screw it, I'm going to buy test pipes. I took my old cats off, Crawford HFC BTW, and what did I see?? Absolutely nothing, the right side cat was an empty shell.

Where did the chunks go? I removed the muffler and shook out a lttle less than half the guts. Where did the other half go?? Figure 1/4 went out the tail pipe. That leaves me with a sizable chunk of cat missing.

Back to the story. Two days later my wife was following me. She said everytime I stepped on the gas from a stop it woukd puff smoke. I blew it off thinking "a" she's a girl what does she know and "b" it's probably gas that was getting eaten by the cats. It gets better.

A week after putting on the test pipes I was leaving a stop light and what did I see in my rearview? A huge cloud of white oil smoke. I got home, pulled into the garage, let it idle for 1 minute then revved it to 1500-1800 rpm. A massive cloud of smoke filled the air.

It's getting worse. I have heard stories of cat being sucked back into the engine because of the variable valve timing. I'm not blaming Crawford or Megan for this. It just pisses me off that I sing the praises of G35 and Nissan for the past 5 years and bull**** like this happens. I can't afford a motor or heads or whatever it is and I can't afford a replacement car at this time. It just sucks hard...

Old 09-19-2010, 08:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your problem is probably whatever destroyed the catalytic converters to begin with. The pieces of the cat. converter will only exit the exhaust so don't worry about that. The reason WHY you cat. converter blew to begin with is what you should be worried about.
Your car only had ONE fault code? How about oil consumption, how bad was it before the smoking?

Old 09-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sounds like head gasket..

Old 09-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rlwjr1
Here is the story. Was setting P0420 code, cat ineffecient. I thought screw it, I'm going to buy test pipes. I took my old cats off, Crawford HFC BTW, and what did I see?? Absolutely nothing, the right side cat was an empty shell.

Where did the chunks go? I removed the muffler and shook out a lttle less than half the guts. Where did the other half go?? Figure 1/4 went out the tail pipe. That leaves me with a sizable chunk of cat missing.

Back to the story. Two days later my wife was following me. She said everytime I stepped on the gas from a stop it woukd puff smoke. I blew it off thinking "a" she's a girl what does she know and "b" it's probably gas that was getting eaten by the cats. It gets better.

A week after putting on the test pipes I was leaving a stop light and what did I see in my rearview? A huge cloud of white oil smoke. I got home, pulled into the garage, let it idle for 1 minute then revved it to 1500-1800 rpm. A massive cloud of smoke filled the air.

It's getting worse. I have heard stories of cat being sucked back into the engine because of the variable valve timing. I'm not blaming Crawford or Megan for this. It just pisses me off that I sing the praises of G35 and Nissan for the past 5 years and bull**** like this happens. I can't afford a motor or heads or whatever it is and I can't afford a replacement car at this time. It just sucks hard...
So you blew off a problem for a few weeks as serious as that and figured everything would be ok and now your complaining about it? lol

Old 09-19-2010, 09:06 PM
you blame nissan/infiniti for a small issue that you blew off in later turning into a big one?

Old 09-20-2010, 12:42 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
FYI white smoke is not oil, it is coolant burning as far as I know. Blue smoke = oil burning.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:18 PM
SIETESG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
in for updates

Old 09-20-2010, 01:25 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Not sure how you blame Infiniti for a broken aftermarket cat from Crawford?

Check your oil level and water level. Check to see if you have a bunch of chocolate milka shake in your coolant.

Report back

I suspect an oil consumption issue that lead to an overheat. Result is a blown HG

Old 09-20-2010, 01:34 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Wow, frustrations of people being lazy.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by GT-ER
Your problem is probably whatever destroyed the catalytic converters to begin with. The pieces of the cat. converter will only exit the exhaust so don't worry about that. The reason WHY you cat. converter blew to begin with is what you should be worried about.
Your car only had ONE fault code? How about oil consumption, how bad was it before the smoking?
+1

I bet the OP has it backwards... OC or HG issue leading to blown cat, not the other way around.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Canadian
FYI white smoke is not oil, it is coolant burning as far as I know. Blue smoke = oil burning.
I'd say 90% of people can't tell the difference...they both look very similar in color. What is not similar is how they burn. Oil smoke will stay MUCH longer lingering around and will smell AWFUL while coolant smoke will dissipate much quicker and will not smell quite as bad.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:24 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
I've heard of the cats falling apart and being sucked into engines from Infiniti technicians. This is why they don't like HFC. However, I don't listen to them much since they normally just go by the book about everything and just want to make money.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:34 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The altima has this problem on both the 2.5 and 3.5 motors, but mostly only on the 2.5 I4 does the cat get sucked up into the engine. Happened to my ex gf's 02 altima. At 100k miles the cat material got sucked into the motor and marred the cylinder walls causing it to burn 4 qts of oil per 1000 miles.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:37 PM
In for updates!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My engine took a dump WTF!!!!