Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Dyno Gains with Borla Dual Exhaust???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dyno Gains with Borla Dual Exhaust???

I am about to buy the Borla True-Dual exhaust for the Coupe. They claim an 18.9 horsepower increae over stock but one review I saw on the net said they got only a 3 hp gain.

Is this possible? Is Borla lying that much or was the testers dyno way off? I hope I didn't just spend alot of money for 3 hp.

Has anyone dynoed this exhaust before and after? Will I notice a big power difference after it is installed? Please help.

Thanks.

Jason

Old 10-23-2004, 11:18 AM
Omega Enthusiast
Re: Dyno Gains with Borla Dual Exhaust???

I agree with TheDude. Usually any exhaust will net you anywhere from 5 to 10 max HP. I wouldn't believe the Borla marketing for that much of a HP gain. If you want that much gain, you'd definitely have to get more than just an exhaust.

Old 10-25-2004, 03:25 AM

I love my Borla system. I've seen a lot of Borla ads, but never any claim as high as you have quoted. Stillen yes, but not Borla.

Of interest, there was an exhaust shoot-out in San Jose in July '03 with five exhausts carefully dynoed. The results were in this order: Borla 8.2HP, Injen 7.6 HP, Stillen 7.1HP, Nismo 6.3HP, and last Szigen 3.4HP.

I've had no problems with the Borla install dating back to '03.

03G35c/C_Blue/Willow/5AT/Prem/Splash/ SteetPilot 2610/V1/SAT/XM/Borla True Dual Exhaust/Gialla Grille/Z Intake/Dynamat Door Kit.

372837-Borla Cap Thumb.jpg

Old 11-22-2004, 01:53 AM

I would expect 5-10 to be on the safe side. Maybe even less without an ECU upgrade.

The car will FEEL faster, most likely a placebo but it's one everyone reports. I LOVE the tone of my Borla, always have. Even now, when the car is downright loud (headers, cats, borla, intake, plenum) I still love that tone.

I can tell the difference between a JDM pipe and my Borla from a half a block. If the Borla ever gets crushed, I would replace with a Fujitsubo, but only because I would like the 3" pipes and the flanged ends instead of Borla's 2.5" pipe and pipe clamps.

All said and done, I think you need to hear one more than you need to worry about true HP gains. You are buying a lot more sound than HP with any exhaust.

My Team Transport Profile