G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction (https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction-19/)
-   -   Why Fram Oil Filters Suck (https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction/367122-why-fram-oil-filters-suck.html)

sillyoldtayo 02-16-2011 02:42 PM

This GC looks like good stuff. From what I know about oil (very little) this stuff has less cold start protection than 5w-30 correct? Its been rather chilly here in the NW, would it be ok to use this in the winter or would it be better for the engine if I switched to GC in the summer?

2slickg35 02-16-2011 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by gary c (Post 5680493)
I wish I could walk into a store and buy AMSOIL synthetic off the shelf rather than ordering it. I can guarantee if it was widely available they'd quadrupole their sales. :NOD: I'll stick with my K&N HP 1010 oil filters for my coupe!
Gary

That's another reason I stick with GC. Amsoil is kind of a hassle to get. Not readily available in stores. I always wait for the GC deals with the K&N filters and stock up.:D

2slickg35 02-16-2011 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se (Post 5680525)
I can get Amsoil locally. It's REALLY expensive to buy it that way too.

No joke about Amsoil. It's almost $10 a quart! I like Autozone's deal where you can get 5 qts of GC and a K&N filter for $30. Only happens once in a while though.

2slickg35 02-16-2011 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by sillyoldtayo (Post 5680632)
This GC looks like good stuff. From what I know about oil (very little) this stuff has less cold start protection than 5w-30 correct? Its been rather chilly here in the NW, would it be ok to use this in the winter or would it be better for the engine if I switched to GC in the summer?

Actually, since it's a 0W-30, it flows better than a 5W-30 in cold weather. With GC rated as a 0W-30 oil, it's thickness is almost that of a 40 weight oil. Basically, it's a thick 30 weight oil with decent cold flow properties while having excellent protection at higher temps. It's so good that Mercedes and BMW approve it for use in their automobiles. You can use GC all year round.

MM_G3520 02-17-2011 01:38 PM

Why are the Fram filters bad? Ive fed my car a steady diet of Amsoil 5w-30 and NAPA filters since I've had it. Unfortunately, I had to change the oil (it was up to like 6500 miles), and I had no choice but to buy Mobil 1 synth. and a Fram Tough Guard, or whatever the "good" one is.

Funny, I guess it really needed an oil change, my has mileage is back to normal, if not slightly better than normal.

express705 02-17-2011 01:39 PM

i have always used fram when i had my boosted G and never noticed any trouble.

msommers 02-18-2011 12:30 PM

Cardboard parts, fewer perforations in the filter, back-flow valve control and just overall construction is very poor. 10 bucks for a quality filter really isn't that much. Worry more about your oil quality than your tint! :thewave:

2slickg35 02-22-2011 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by 03BaseSedan (Post 5683301)
Why are the Fram filters bad? Ive fed my car a steady diet of Amsoil 5w-30 and NAPA filters since I've had it. Unfortunately, I had to change the oil (it was up to like 6500 miles), and I had no choice but to buy Mobil 1 synth. and a Fram Tough Guard, or whatever the "good" one is.

Funny, I guess it really needed an oil change, my has mileage is back to normal, if not slightly better than normal.

Well, if you have the money to buy a nice car, then you should obviously have the money to buy a decent oil filter. I mean, judging from the pictures, you can tell that the Fram oil filter will not filter due to poor quality of components and as a result, your oil pressure may drop.

2slickg35 02-22-2011 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by express705 (Post 5683308)
i have always used fram when i had my boosted G and never noticed any trouble.

Man, I feel pity for that boosted G. Money for a turbo, but no money for a good oil filter which is only $10!

MM_G3520 02-22-2011 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by msommers (Post 5685946)
Cardboard parts, fewer perforations in the filter, back-flow valve control and just overall construction is very poor. 10 bucks for a quality filter really isn't that much. Worry more about your oil quality than your tint! :thewave:

I appreciate the explanation, but did you neglect to read my original post? A steady and expensive diet of Amsoil and NAPA filters. I was in a bind and HAD to buy Mobil 1 and a Fram Tough Guard. The car needed an oil change before a 1200 mile trip, and I didn't have time to track down Amsoil or go anywhere except for Wal-Mart. Btw, I don't have tints :biggthumpup:

Originally Posted by 2slickg35 (Post 5693461)
Well, if you have the money to buy a nice car, then you should obviously have the money to buy a decent oil filter. I mean, judging from the pictures, you can tell that the Fram oil filter will not filter due to poor quality of components and as a result, your oil pressure may drop.

Yes, I agree, but I did not have the time to drive to a NAPA store or order Amsoil. This filter will be fine for a few more weeks until I flush out that Mobil 1 garbage and throw in something better.