Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

please HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please HELP!

Ok, i got the turbo rebuilt and it still is smoking like crazy after boosting even a little. i checked the return line and it looks fine. I dont have a feed line restrictor. should i get one? I then went to Mikes turbo i miami and one of the guys there said that it may be one of two things.

1) compressor surge from buld up of boost causing the shaft to move slightly forward and allowing oil to pass through. he says it may be that the BOV is not good or to small.

2) he sugguested that i need a oil catch can to collect the excess oil and relieve the engine of being pressurized. he said that because the engine is under higher pressure the oil cannot return fast enough and is burning off in the turbo hence the smoke. he said that i can make one but he mentioned something about connecting it to the valve cover and pcv valve.

personally i think it is number 2. but can someone please help clarify what he is saying and what is the correct way to assemble a catch can so the "pressure" will be relieved. Basically where do hook up and route a catch can so i dont smoke anymore. is it the same idea of the DIY posted on here? I noticed that DIY didnt have anything to do with the valve cover, so will it serve the same purpose? THANKS!!!!!!!!

Also is it a good idea to put a resrictor on?

Old 02-18-2011, 12:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you check the other parts of your engine? I heard a very similar story today, and it was either an issue with a piston or oil pooling, or something unrelated to his turbo. He had his turbo rebuilt too, but his engine blew because he didn't correct the actual issue

Old 02-18-2011, 09:11 AM
What should I check? I am going to do a compression test tomorrow that should tell me I'd something is up with the motor

Old 02-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PM GreenGoblin & ask about what went wrong with his neighbors SC300... he would be able to better explain it than me

Old 03-01-2011, 09:41 PM
here is the latest. did a compression test and here is what came up
cyl1 180 psi
cyl2 180psi
cyl3 120psi
cyl4 180psi
cyl5 110psi
cyl6 180 psi

Motor is gone. what to do... what to do.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
its not gone yet. try not to stay in boost alot and start gathering parts for the build

Old 03-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Well I think it's bad enough to not even drive it. It smokes like crazy even at idle. I don't want to risk hurtin the motor worse than it is. I'll be having to build a shirt block now. Any suggestions on parts for the build. I was thinking. Eagle rods, Weisco pistons 8.5:1 compression, new bearings, l19 head studs, new head gasket. Sound right?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.