Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

ECU monitors how I drive?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ECU monitors how I drive?

When I bought my G35s, the sales dood said that the ECU would
observe the way I drove, and after my key was inserted into the ignition 4 times, it would modify the way it switched gears to accomodate my own driving style. First question, is this true? Second question, if this is true, does the ECU *continually* monitor my driving and adjust over time, or do I need to reset it.

I'm asking because I know I drove very differently for the first 1000
miles than I do now and I can't tell whether the ECU has noticed
this or not...

Old 11-04-2002, 10:43 PM
Re: ECU monitors how I drive?

Yes, the car (sedan at least) has a "learning" algorythm for the transmission. It monitors the way you drive, and from what I've learned about it so far, it changes as time goes by.

What nobody can tell me (dealers or techies for that matter) is WHEN and HOW does it learn. I've never heard of the 4-time thing you've mentioned. It is suppose to start its "learning session" every time the car is started, using the previous stored setting to start learning from.

I spent a week experimenting with this by driving differently each morning to work. One day I'll take the highway and the other the inner streets until I get close to work where it is city driving and it is the same for about 6 miles. I also varied the amount of acceleration I used to start from a stop and to pass someone. I have noticed the tranny will shift at different RPMs during stop and go traffic from the lights - depending on if the morning started on the highway or inner streets. The biggest change I saw was going from 1st to 3rd. I've still got more testing to do to figure out how this "feature" really works.

What I find fustrating is that the brouchure talks about it very little, the dealer knows even less, and the manual doesn't even mention it. I wish Infiniti would release a technical paper about it. In fact, I'm going to send them an email right now to see if I get a response.

Hope that helps!

- JC

Old 11-05-2002, 09:59 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't even think the techs know how it works, for it is not even in the Service Manual.

Merlin.

Old 11-05-2002, 12:39 PM

Please post any reply you get from Infiniti on this topic. It would
be really helpful to know how this works.

Old 11-06-2002, 02:37 AM

I'm not convinced the learning algorithm is a good thing. There are threads here about people experiencing different performance and varying fuel economy from their g's. Some guys have taken it by the dealer and they mysteriously improved the performance.( set or reset the computer? ).
I would be happy with a 2 mode tranny, sport and cruise mode, then I could decide when I wanted to have the trans shift agressively. Not enough info.

The Red Aero

Old 11-10-2002, 05:31 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting subject, and like Merlin said there's no mention in the service manual. I personally don't like this 'learning algorithm'. It seems to be an attempt to please everyone that drives the car. For me I like firm crisp shifts every time whether driving hard or not. With this damn learning algo. you have to drive hard all the time to get the firmer shifts all the time. Not acceptable IMO. The only source of info on the subject might be from the guys that have had service and have 'mysteriosly' gotten better performance. The techs at these shops perhaps could shed some light on this, but judgeing by the info available now on the subject these techs would have to be very sophisticated on the subject.(UNLESS THERE IS ANOTHER SERVICE MANUAL THAT ANSWERS THESE MORE SOPHISTICATED ISSUES) Just some food for thought>>>>>>>>>>>> Gsedanman- Garnet Fire Sedan

Old 11-10-2002, 09:35 PM

I had sent my email to Infiniti requesting more information several days ago. Still waiting...and as soon as hear something I'll let everyone know.

Old 11-11-2002, 12:28 AM

Many auto tranny cars use a similar setup. You can 'reset' it by disconnecting the battery for about 10-15 minutes I'm guessing. But don't try to re teach it by driving at WOT constantly or it will get stuck in closed loop mode (or is that open loop?). Either way, it's bad. Drive hard if you wish, not WOT.

Dan Parmelee
2003 G35 Sedan
Stock

Old 11-11-2002, 01:24 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the tip. No I don't drive WOT much but it sounds like you shouldn't anyway. Would be nice to have a 2 position switch to choose 'firm or cruise'. It's a mystery to me why this system is the way it is, and even more so why nobody knows much about it. Pity my so called 'shop manual' doesn't address the issue at all. That's what made me think there's another manual. Thanks for the incite, Later
Gsedanman- Garnet Fire Sedan