Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

oil cooler and/or high capacity pan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 04:48 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
oil cooler and/or high capacity pan

hi, i have some questions to ask.
right now, i have Stillen high capacity oil pan on my 350z. i noticed that at drifting events, oil pressure drops about 15 psi after couple sliding. The psi continues to drop if i continue. i was drifting for 6 hours, taking little cool down after each run.
Which one does better job in cooling and/or protecting the engine from high heat, .5qt/1qt oil cooler or 1 qt high capacity pan?
i'd love to have both but 7 qts every oil change is too much for mostly daily driven car.

My other question is, since now i put 6 qts, can i change the oil more later than when i used to put 5 qts?

Old 07-11-2011, 11:17 PM
Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
WOW, old thread saddened to see no one has chimed in.

Well, here are some notions to go by:

Chances are that your pressure is going down because of temperature. The higher the temp the thinner the oil. Adding more oil to your engine in the means of expanding the capacity does assist in cooling and oil change intervals but not by much. A physical oil cooler would provide better results.

Some dumb simple math and DO NOT HOLD ME TO THIS, but it's just an estimated guess.

The normal interval for oil changes is 3000 miles. We have a total of 5 quarts. If you divide 3000 / 5 = 600 miles. So for every quart it'll be safe to say the oil should be advanced 600 miles.

3000 / 5 = 600

So if you add an additional quart I would change it no later than 3,600 miles. 7 quarts 4,200.00. Some people change it later, some sooner. I for one change my oil every 2,000 miles.

It's totally on you.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by Eric@TCGMiami
WOW, old thread saddened to see no one has chimed in.

Well, here are some notions to go by:

Chances are that your pressure is going down because of temperature. The higher the temp the thinner the oil. Adding more oil to your engine in the means of expanding the capacity does assist in cooling and oil change intervals but not by much. A physical oil cooler would provide better results.

Some dumb simple math and DO NOT HOLD ME TO THIS, but it's just an estimated guess.

The normal interval for oil changes is 3000 miles. We have a total of 5 quarts. If you divide 3000 / 5 = 600 miles. So for every quart it'll be safe to say the oil should be advanced 600 miles.

3000 / 5 = 600

So if you add an additional quart I would change it no later than 3,600 miles. 7 quarts 4,200.00. Some people change it later, some sooner. I for one change my oil every 2,000 miles.

It's totally on you.
thanks for your reply.
It would be more beneficial to go back to stock pan and add an oil cooler that can hold extra 1 qt, right?

Do you know anything about oil temperature gauge? i'm thinking about adding one but don't know where to get the oil temperature sensor and everything. i never found a DIY. Also, not sure if i should put the sensor in the oil filter spacer or into the oil pan itself.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by whoisthis
thanks for your reply.
It would be more beneficial to go back to stock pan and add an oil cooler that can hold extra 1 qt, right?

Do you know anything about oil temperature gauge? i'm thinking about adding one but don't know where to get the oil temperature sensor and everything. i never found a DIY. Also, not sure if i should put the sensor in the oil filter spacer or into the oil pan itself.
Since you have the spacer, just keep it. It'll add an additional .5 to 1 quart of oil in the system. I actually found this thread as I am searching for oil coolers. So my reply to this is yes it will help by adding a cooler.

You may say/ask why add another quart it'll be more expensive every oil change. my simple reply to that is what is 1 quart of oil $8 - 10.00 ? .... How much is a rod bearing replacement?

As for the oil temperature sensor. You'd have to give me a few minutes to locate the manual to find the pin out for the ECU which you can rob the signal from.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Check out this thread

https://g35driver.com/forums/tuner-d...technical.html

Post 3 has all the pin outs for the ECU's

Old 07-12-2011, 12:05 AM
instead of this way, i'd rather have a sensor dip into the engine oil to be more accurate.
So this can be done by putting a sensor through the pan or into the oil filter spacer (i have to get this spacer anyways if i go w engine oil cooler)

still not decided if i want to keep the stillen oil pan. i don't think an extra qt of oil on top of an extra qt help that much...hmm

Old 04-09-2013, 08:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if im gonna buy an oil cooler, i have to buy also an oil filter spacer???

Old 04-09-2013, 09:02 AM
Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by AhmadH
if im gonna buy an oil cooler, i have to buy also an oil filter spacer???
If your referring to oil sandwich plate/adapter than yes, or can purchase complete kit that has the fittings, hoses and adapter plate included for cooler.

Its cheaper to purchase adapters, fittings seperately and assemble hoses yourself.