Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Advice on Engine mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on Engine mods

Im a new g35 coupe owner and been wanting to get one for a while. i got a long list of mods i want to put into the car. (mostly the engine)

here is the list.

Injen Cold air intake, # rd1992p
heat shield, and water shield.
Air breather.
Exhaust heat shield.
Kinetix ssv manifold. #ssv manifold
Hks hi-power dual titanium exhaust system. 32009-bn002
Cobb tuning performance chip programmer.
Unorthodox racing pulley kit.
Hks fine tune V belt.
Hks camshaft kit. #22002-AN018
Brian Crower single valve spring and titanium retainer kit.
Brian Crower valves.
Brain Crower stroker kit. Valve guides.
Hks fuel injectors.
Blackworks racing radiator.
Agency power radiator hose.
Blackworks racing radiator fan.
Vortech supercharger kit.
Hks hipermax coilover system.
Circuit sports strut bar.
Eibach sway bar.
Circuit sports tie bar.
StopTech brake kit.
DW-Tech ST800 Alibaba Smart System.

What should i change, add, or subtract. i'm looking for horsepower first then later questions will be posted. im open to suggestions thanks for the advice.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:32 PM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Old 08-13-2011, 04:37 PM
care to elaborate

Old 08-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
You're best served searching in the "Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction" section.
There is a wealth of info in there.
And the FI guys can advise you on what to buy & not buy.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:29 PM
im new to the forum but i would like custom tailored answers not something somebody else wanted. secondly i am lazy and didnt wanna go through all the searching. i'm more intrested in upgrading than reading lol thanks though irishsig

Old 08-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Items

If you are going to do any force induction to you motor I would recommend building the bottom end (do NOT STROKE the motor) the cylinder walls depending on how big of a bore you do get really thin and sleeving the block can cause problems (it’s up to you in the end). You have a lot of good items on your list. I'd recommend these items but I know there are others that will agree and disagree with me. I do not know it all. If you have any questions PM Me. Also check out a few websites or even call places to see what they think you should do. My Local shops in Arizona are UMS Tuning http://www.umstuning.com/ and Intense Power http://intensepower.com/ another good shop is GTM Motorsports in Cali http://www.gtmotorsports.com/index.php. These shops are extremely knowledgeable with VQ motors. Ksport http://ksportusa.com/asp/index.asp.

Building the Bottom end:
CP or Wiseco Forged Pistons either 8:1 or 9:1 compression (with a +.20 over bore for tight fit)
Eagle Forged Rods
Arp main studs
Bigger Oil Pan
ACL Main Barring’s

Heads:
Tomei Cams (272)
ARP L19 Head Studs
HKS Head Gaskets
Vales and Valve Spring (Whatever suggested for the build you are looking for)
Mild Port Job

Other engine Items:
Rev up Oil Pump (if your car is not a rev up)
Gasket kit
Oil Cooler
Trans Cooler
Cosworth Intake Manifold (better power then the Kinetix SSV)
Aluminum Radiator

Forced induction:
Either twin turbo or supercharger whatever you prefer
If you are looking to supercharger go with Vortech as for twin turbo custom set up (depending on the power you are looking for)

Fuel system:
Fuel pump Deatschwerks or walbro (size depending on power) (CJ Motorsports if twin fuel pump is needed)
Injectors either DeatschWerks or Bosch (size depending on power)
Fuel Rails/ GTM, CJ Motorsports, Cosworth (may also need bigger furl Lines)

Exhaust:
HKS Hi-power system
Long tube headers (if your supercharging the car)

Suspension:
Ksport Kontrol pro
Stillen Sway Bars
GTSPEC 4 Point mid Chassis Brace
Front and Rear Strut bars
Ksport Rear Adjustable Camber links
Ksport Front Camber kit
Ksport Toe Kit

Brake:
Ksport Big brake kit (depending on wheel size/ clearance you can go up to 16” )

Tuning:
Cobb or uprev Osiris
Engine management system

In the end its up to you what you are looking for or what you want to do. Gook Luck

The following users liked this post:
faiz23 (08-14-2011)
Old 08-13-2011, 10:33 PM
thanks Gdirty5Az... you gave me what i needed and asked for. i dont know much about forced induction preparation but i do wanna slap a supercharger on my engine after i get all the other components. ive heard alot about the cosworth intake manifold but ive never seen it. and i saw that you said get the long tube headers so you can put headers and a intake manifold on your engine. if thats a stupid question just call me a dumbass but ive never heard anybody talking about applying both just one or the other. but ill check out the cosworth. cuz the intake manifold, air intake, and exhaust are the first things i want to get equipped. ill pm you and let you know the final verdict. i like the look of the ssv but if its something out there thats gonna perform better then screw looks. im the type of person that will give everbody's ideas a chance and not just do what i want if that was the case i wouldnt have posted lol

Old 08-14-2011, 03:29 AM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Do you have $10,000-$15,000 on tap and a secondary vehicle

Old 08-14-2011, 06:34 AM
@ faiz23 actually thats cheaper than what i was thinking and yes im in the process of buying a 240sx as we speak. So again why would i be blowing my money? i got the car ive always wanted and im wanting to upgrade whats wrong with that? is it something i dont know?

Old 08-14-2011, 10:27 PM
Everything I listed was off the top of my head at the time. I have a few mods and am planning on getting another car so I can continue the build.
I have a built bottom end with:
Cp forged piston 111 compression with a +.20 over bore (went high compression due to not being able to boost the car for awhile, I’ll be keeping the compression but tuning it on E85 to pull some more timing which will then lower the compression a bit)
Eagle forged rods.
Oil pan spacer (which will soon have a bigger oil pan so ill be able to run almost 8 quarts)
I got the arp main and head studs atm.
I got the injen cold air with megan long tub headers with the hks exhaust.
All of that got me to 270 whp and 265 torq. I know its not much but for just that little build I was not expecting much.
I am also running ksport kontrol pros which is a nice set up since I daily drive the car right now. I did upgrade the spring rating on the coils so I’m running 12k in the front and 14k in the rear, nice stiff ride without going overboard. I have the stillen sways which made a huge difference around turns/bends. It rides stiff and responds fast.
I have big plans for the car in the future but times are a bit tough atm. Im going to be building the heads, AT trans with paddle shifters, bigger injectors to run E85 so I am able to Supercharge it. Im still not sure if Im going to make it a drag car or a track car yet. Depending on what I do ill have to make changes to my suspension. It’s a work in progress but Im having fun with it.
The coswroth manifold is up there in price and I would recommend spending the extra 200 for it to be polished. (looks 10 time better). If you don’t want to get the manifold right away id look into the powerlab (intencemotorsports) plenum spacer (believe it or not that will give you some power).
If you have questions just ask I might be able to give you an answer.
Where are you located?

Old 08-14-2011, 11:29 PM
thank you so much... i stay in indianapolis. im thinking about stealing your whole bottom end setup lol never got a more thorough description and list before. i gotta quick question though. with the set-up you is the whp the total or just what those mods have added. so in example the 280 stock horses plus the 270 after the mods? and how much did your set-up run you. parts and labor

Old 08-15-2011, 12:11 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Krack
So again why would i be blowing my money? i got the car ive always wanted and im wanting to upgrade whats wrong with that? is it something i dont know?
Actually, the pictures faiz23 posted are pretty accurate...

If you plan on building the block for FI, scrap the supercharger and go with a turbo or two. I don't know much about the specifics but there's a lot of good information regarding builds in the FI sections of here and My350Z.com

*UR pulleys aren't worth it
*The SSV was discontinued due to bad design
*If your going FI, you won't need a CAI
*Osiris is better then Cobb

Last edited by herrschaft; 08-15-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:09 AM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
If you have the cash now go buy "Silver G" motor $13k
That thing is a beast and all cosworth parts. It can do 700whp easy

Old 08-16-2011, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by herrschaft
Actually, the pictures faiz23 posted are pretty accurate...

If you plan on building the block for FI, scrap the supercharger and go with a turbo or two. I don't know much about the specifics but there's a lot of good information regarding builds in the FI sections of here and My350Z.com

*UR pulleys aren't worth it
*The SSV was discontinued due to bad design
*If your going FI, you won't need a CAI
*Osiris is better then Cobb
Thanks man for the things i need to change. i didnt know the ssv was discontinued. i know i wouldnt need the CAI if i was gonna FI the engine but i was planning on doing that last so i wanted to put a CAI on just until i can save up for the supercharger/turbo kit. the little hp the CAI would get me would be better than the stock intake box for the time being. and sorry if the items on the list are crappy brands. i just knew what i needed to change and was using a specific website to base the pricing for everything. so for some parts they only had one brand UnothrodoxRacing and Cobb for instance which is why i posted this question to see if there are better brands for the parts i need.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:42 PM
I would wait to build the motor until you have the cash to FI it. Supercharge or Twin Turbo. I wouldn't do single unless you dont mind the turbo lag.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Advice on Engine mods