Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Hydrolock recovery help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I don't think a code will help that much in finding out what's wrong internally. It's mostly a result of something else. ie... if the cylider's rings/valve is bad, it might be screwing with the 02 sensors, or making it idle below spec, or 2-3 other things. There's no sensor for a bent rod, broken rings or a bent valve.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Codes are ALWAYS helpful in diangosing issues. If there is a spun bearing, bent rod, etc there will be a code.

All codes help to diagnose.

My buddy had a piston break and it was throwing random multiple misfire as well as other codes.

To the OP - you should consider changing the oil again in a relatively short period of time if the motor is ok. Its better to make sure there is no water in there.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Red Card Crew

My old maxima didn't throw a code when it gave up the ghost. It was obd1 though.

On internal problems, codes aren't directly related to the problem. slightly related.

If you buddy was running on a completely broken piston, I'd think the racket of broken piston pieces would clue you in more than a multiple misfire (which could be the coil pack, broken plug etc.)

Old 09-26-2011, 07:29 PM
OBD 1 and OBDII are very different

Of course we heard the knock, and from using a long metal piece we were able to ascertain the problem was in the bottom end. It wasn't completely busted up, just one side of the top of the piston had broken off.

I'm just stating a way to get the ECU fault codes. If you don't start with getting the fault codes you may end up chasing the wrong problem. It would be foolish to rule them out as a viable option for checking problems.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:34 PM
Red Card Crew

obd1 and obd2 aren't that different in this discussion. None of them really give you great clues as to what is broken internally. The biggest diff inbetween obd1 and 2 is the common protocalls that the Gov't required. And CanBus in 2007 or so.

I'm not ruling out codes, just saying they play a small part to finding the problem. A better clue is oil consumption. A spun bearing or a broken ring will start making the motor use ALOT of oil before it finally gives up.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:38 PM
OBDI and OBDII are very different.

Your OBDI experience and the OBDII on the G35 are very different and could very well be pertinent to the discussion.

Why are you being an @$$ about me helping him with a way to get his DTC?

Old 09-26-2011, 07:45 PM
Red Card Crew

Tell me, in what ways as it pertains to this is obd1 and obd2 different?

I'm not being an azz, it's you that's putting a higher priority on the codes than I think is due. I didn't say codes don't count, I say they wouldn't help as much as you think.

What codes usually show up for a spun bearing or a bent rod?

Old 09-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by Vegas4DR
For reference: When you do the gas pedal procedure, the blinking lights will tell you the fault code that is being kicked.

Turn Ignition on: wait 3 seconds
Fully depress and release gas pedal 5 times within 5 seconds.
Wait 7 seconds: then hold gas pedal down for 10 seconds

At this time the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light will begin blinking. The first series of blinks will be 1 second apart. 10 = 0.

The subsequent 3 series of blinks will be .5 sec apart

Count them and write them down as you go. It will repeat the blinks over and over until you turn off the ignition. If you have more than 1 code stored it will cylce through them 1 at a time. The first digit is always denoted by the 1 second interval blinks(slow) and the following 3 digits are 1/2 second long(fast).

Hope this helps in the even that you cant get to Checker/Autozone/Etc right away.

As always, using a stopwatch/clock to keep track of the time is the best way to be successful at entering the ECU diagnostics.

Side Note: If after counting/writing down the stored fault codes you want to reset the ECU, do not turn the ignition off just yet. Press the gas pedal down and hold it for 10 seconds. Then turn it off. The ECU will be reset.
I've done this numerous times, it just blinks 5 times slowly then stays on. I used the same procedure to get the codes from my wife's car when it had issues, and got them fairly easily.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:54 PM
Red Card Crew

Is your car drivable? Much easier just to have somone pull the codes. Or rent an obdII scanner from an auto store.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

I'm going to find out how drivable it is soon, taking it to the shop to drop it off tonight.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:51 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Update for the evening:

Got a code reader - cylinder 4 misfire & random multiple cylinder misfire.

Change the oil two more times, looks like good synthetic oil going through it now, and I've got about 15 quarts of 5w30 chocolate milk to dispose of now.

Drove the car about 5 miles to the shop doing the repairs, felt practically normal, but I never got on it at all, very gentle driving, but again - it felt fine at 45mph, not lacking in power or anything. Water continued to come out of the exhaust, as reported by my trail vehicle, and when stopped I could see vapor coming out of the exhaust. I cannot tell whether this was just water in the exhaust evaporating or if it was coolant. It didn't smell sweet to me, but I've never had a good nose for coolant.

The noise definitely sounded like it was coming from the upper half of the engine, but I couldn't find my auto stethoscope or long screwdriver to really check, and as I was taking it to a shop regardless, I felt I'd let them do the diagnosis.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:23 AM
Red Card Crew

If your oil continues to milkshake, then you have a blown headgasket. Hell, if that's the actual problem you might be in luck. You could pull the #4 plug and see if it' wet. Then try to see down that cylinder and look for pieces of piston ring etc..

Old 09-27-2011, 08:14 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
If your oil continues to milkshake, then you have a blown headgasket. Hell, if that's the actual problem you might be in luck. You could pull the #4 plug and see if it' wet. Then try to see down that cylinder and look for pieces of piston ring etc..
It hadn't milkshake'd after the 3rd change, it was nice and clear after about 5min of running.

I'm hoping the shop can give me a diagnosis today. They are an authorized Jasper remanufactured engine seller, so I might consider doing that method, as they come with a 3 year/100,000 mile warranty. Not sure on price, but it easily looks like $4k+ installed. I might be able to get a stronger rebuild for that price, but wouldn't have a warranty.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:30 AM
used engine swap/install would probably be about half that price

Keep an eye on the oil. Sounds like you may have got the water out of it but it could be a few days to be completely gone.

How did the spark plugs look when you pulled them? Try pulling them again.

Did you reset the ECU? Did the codes come right back?

Old 09-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

I honestly didn't pay much attention to the plugs other than they were wet, but they were at 61,000 miles and ready for replacement, so worn, but not visibly damaged.

Yes, I reset the ECU (and deleted the codes with my new code reader) and the codes came back after a few minutes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hydrolock recovery help