Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

PROJECT V35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 04:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PROJECT V35

I have a 330ci in germany, great car, it has the M2 sportpackage, looks like a M3. I drove the AUTOBAHN, and with BMW I DROVE topspeed 250 KMH, right now I live in the USA my second home, and have the G35, I HATE M3's since I got my G, I wanna beat the USA M3 version, only 333hp hahahaha, that sucks!! I'm gonna upgrade the G-COUPE like HELL!!! FREAKING M3 gonna smoke your azzes
)

G-UNIT

Old 04-25-2003, 07:47 AM
Re: PROJECT V35

Oooooookay. Sounds like you got a lot of M3 pent up frustration there dude. [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

"Use the Forced Induction Luke!"
-Jedi
Ordered 4/03: 2003 G35C, 6MT, Blk/Blk. Loaded ETA ~ 7/03

Old 04-25-2003, 10:32 AM
IQ9

Go get'em tiger and then let us know what ya did=)

03.5 Sedan/B. Silver/Prem/Winter/Aero/Tint/Rims
69 Chevelle Hard Top BB/4.11's/Posi

Old 04-25-2003, 01:01 PM

hahahahah, that's kinda how I feel about mustangs. After years of getting picked on by them....I can actually put up a fight now....good luck...

CB G35 Coupe 6MT
19x8/20x10 Axis Se7en Mods (will be on soon...)

Old 04-25-2003, 01:15 PM

Check out the Second post in this thread....it is a ganunteed way to not only beat M3's but is a great way to have a 10 second street car.

https://g35driver.com/forums/showfla...sed&sb=5&part=

Dan O

Old 04-25-2003, 01:44 PM

DanO - I've read in your previous posts that you're into racing (which is awesome, I would love to do the same), so I'm guessing you would be doing most if not all of that work yourself that you listed in that thread. So, assuming no $ for installation, how much do you estimate all those parts/mods would cost?

BTW, I also remember reading that you were an engineer. What engineering did you major in? I'm a mechanical eng. undergrad right now

2003 G35 Coupe
Black, Willow, 6spd, Aero, Prem
On the way...due in April...hurry!! [img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Old 04-25-2003, 01:56 PM

I am also a Mechanical Engineer... i have not graduated yet i am a senior and am the Leader for our 2004 Formula SAE team.

I am also working at Eaton for the Valvetrain Division Innovation center.

Yes, i will be doing most of the work myself, a price estimate on what it would cost... well i cannot estimate because it would be one hell of alot.

Dan O

Old 04-25-2003, 02:36 PM

raj, I know how you feel. With the G35coupe it seems to really attrack mustangs for some reason. It bites though ever time one messes with me my wife and 3 year old son are in the car. Someday I'll come face to face with one and no one will be in the car but me [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img].

DanO, how much do you think that whole setup will be and how far along are you? I was about to print your list out and check off one by one, but the first thing you have on there is MOTEC, haha too much for me right there. Do you have a list to make a reliable daily driven 12second g35coupe?

BS G35C 6spd navi/aero/prem

Old 04-25-2003, 03:00 PM

For a reliable 12second daily driver, i would go with one of the kits some of these companies are coming out with. I am sure quite a bit of engineering has gone into them because designing a turbo setup is not merely bolting it on.

The only think i see seems to be Twin turbo kits, I think it is a waste of money, you only need a single turbo and it will save you some $ and provide the same power.

Dan O

Old 04-25-2003, 03:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suppose that depends on how you feel about low-end torque and lag. Don't twin turbos spool up quicker and provide less lag? Myself, personally, I'd rather have a supercharger that evenly lifts the entire torque curve.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 04-25-2003, 03:37 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

a roots-type or positive displacement blower wityh do that. A centrifugal blower will make more power though!!!

look at all the insanely fast mustangs driving on the streets....almost all of them are using centrigual blowers.

Old 04-25-2003, 05:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are different types of supercharges? Anybody know of an article explaining the differences?

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 04-25-2003, 05:20 PM

Yes, there are MANY different types of superchargers

and twin turbos will take the same amount of time to spool up because the exhaust energy is dividied up between the two smaller turbos. A single turbo will see the full amount of exhaust gas engergy.

Some good reasons for Twin turbos are division of heat between the two which is easier on the bearings and a marginally longer life span of the bearings.

A single turbo system can have nearly the same response as a twin turbo system when a ball bearing turbo is used, It will spool faster, create less frictional loss, and allow you to use a slightly larger turbo and achive more power.

However, for larger engines twin turbos are neccecary due to the amount of exhaust gas and the size turbo required and usually packaging issues of extremely large turbos.

So once again, i am a fan of using a single ball bearing turbo with a remote wastegate for a 3.5L V6.

By no means is a twin turbo bad, but the slight advantages of a single turbo are what make me choose this route.

But in the end, the main factors that contribute to power and lag are the bearing design, manifold design, wastegate location and PROPERLY SIZED TURBOS!!! A larger turbo is not always better and Turbo lag is not a measuring point of a turbo system. Dont fall into the notion that turbo lag means a bad turbo system.

The general equasion is.... More power More lag Less lag less power. It all depends on what you want. And lag can be decreased by ensuring everything in your system is efficent and properly tuned. You can have a less powerful turbo with more lag than a larger one depending on the setups of each system.

Dan O

Old 04-25-2003, 10:30 PM

thanks dano for the lesson on turbos haha really i mean it thanks that hepled a lot thanks

Old 04-25-2003, 11:44 PM

No prob, glad i could help [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Dan O

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PROJECT V35