Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

HKS Ignition Booster Install - Misfiring and Lean

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS Ignition Booster Install - Misfiring and Lean

Today I got my HKS DLII Ignition Booster installed and needless to say, it didn't quite work out how I had planned.

Everything seemed to go in fine, got it grounded properly and when we turned the car on the red light on the box signifying it was powered up and good to go. When I looked at my gauges I was idling a bit low (550) , and my A/F was 15-16.5. I also had a thumping noise from the exhaust and a shake in the car.

Two codes came up:
P1065 - Electronic Control Module Backup Circuit
Multiple Cylinder Misfires

Went back, checked all the connections. Re-grounded it and also re-mouted the box off of the chassis just in case it was some type of electrical issue. Everything checked out, but got it turned back on and still set off the codes and ran like ****. I thought then maybe it was a vaccuum leak. Checked everything out that I had touched, and I couldn't find one.

We pulled the booster out of the car; everything back to normal. So, any ideas?

One other thing to note. I heard a hiss, but i think it's just the operation of the passenger side, front injector? I'm running RC Engineering's 550cc... If it's not the injector, its a vaccuum leak, but with all attempts (smoke/carb spary methods) we couldnt find a leak anywhere.. Thanks

Old 12-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts
Check to make sure you didn't mix up 2 of the Spark plug harnesses

Old 12-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Our car has a great ignition system and no gains will be seen with the HKS unit. XKR had one on his 1000whp G and it made no difference with or with out so he removed it. I also had one with similar issues to your experience so it has been sitting in a box in my garage for the last 2 years now.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Banned
Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
To run my car on stock ECU past 600rwhp I had to install one of these, it does in fact work. The more boost we have it before the amp the sooner in the rpm it would break up, other people have had the same issue running the stock ECU, installed the HKS ign amp and haven't had an issue since.

We have 3-4 other cars in the shop running them with no issues, and the harness is not position specific, its possible you just received a defective box, does the light on the box come on while the car is running?

-Rob

Old 12-28-2011, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by ilovez33
Check to make sure you didn't mix up 2 of the Spark plug harnesses
We took each plug off and added the harness 1 at a time, so nope.

Originally Posted by Z1Motorsports
To run my car on stock ECU past 600rwhp I had to install one of these, it does in fact work. The more boost we have it before the amp the sooner in the rpm it would break up, other people have had the same issue running the stock ECU, installed the HKS ign amp and haven't had an issue since.

We have 3-4 other cars in the shop running them with no issues, and the harness is not position specific, its possible you just received a defective box, does the light on the box come on while the car is running?

-Rob
Yes, the red lite comes on. It's not a steady bright light, it flutters a bit with the sound of the engine, but its constant....

Old 12-29-2011, 08:29 AM
Banned
Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by josh.irvine.6
Yes, the red lite comes on. It's not a steady bright light, it flutters a bit with the sound of the engine, but its constant....
I'm not 100% sure it will work, but the only other thing I know to try is to hook up the ign amp to one cylinder at a time, so leave the other 5 engine harness connections directly on the coil and put the amp on each cylinder looking for any changes, if that doesn't help then try isolating each connector of the amp harness. Like I said im not sure that the amp will work at all without all 6 being hooked up, but its worth a try, maybe you can isolate where the problem is, whether it be a weak coil that the ign amp is exploiting or an issue with the amp harness.

-Rob

Old 11-21-2014, 03:22 AM
Originally Posted by Z1Motorsports
I'm not 100% sure it will work, but the only other thing I know to try is to hook up the ign amp to one cylinder at a time, so leave the other 5 engine harness connections directly on the coil and put the amp on each cylinder looking for any changes, if that doesn't help then try isolating each connector of the amp harness. Like I said im not sure that the amp will work at all without all 6 being hooked up, but its worth a try, maybe you can isolate where the problem is, whether it be a weak coil that the ign amp is exploiting or an issue with the amp harness.

-Rob
I found out what it was, my haltech Ecu is not compatible with the booster. Simple fix, big headache. Sold to another user and he had no issues.