Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

DIY engine removal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DIY engine removal?

Hello,
I recently picked up an 05 coupe that is in need of some repairs that require removal of the engine. Is there a DIY guide for pulling the engine on this site?
I searched but wasn't able to find anything. I don't have access to a lift so I'll be using an engine hoist. Does anyone have any tips/tricks as to the best way to do this using a hoist? Such as, is it easier to remove the engine with the tranny still attached or not. Also, what are the best places to attach the chains from the hoist to the engine? (I've only pulled one engine before, on a different vehicle, and that engine had brackets already attached to it)

Any help or info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Through the front is relatively painless. I have pulled my engine 4 or 5 times that way usually takes me an evening to get it out.

Name:  IMG_3336.jpg
Views: 22853
Size:  172.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3337.jpg
Views: 14135
Size:  204.5 KB

Old 01-02-2012, 12:35 PM
I have done it with and with the tranny attached, it is a little easier with out it attached just easier to balance everything. But if you don't have a lift it might be hard to get the tranny out after? I hate installing the tranny by itself for some reason I struggle with it every time so I like to install engine/tranny together.

Look on my350z.com they might have a DIY over there?

Old 01-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had posted recently on recommendations from people and have had no luck..guess not many people have done much engine work on their vehicles.

I like Sylvans idea about removing the front. However I am going to try not to take the front off if possible... I dont have a lift just like the first person. I plan on removing the transmission from the engine and hoisting it out on the top (i know the top bolt is a biatch on the tranny (i have replaced my throwout bearing before))..so Jburna I will be posting a how we did our motor swap when we complete. We just received the swapping motor today and heating up garage now. Let me know if you find any good tips, feel free to message me if you want quicker updates. Thanks for your post!

Nicole
CentexVQ Austin Chapter

The following users liked this post:
jomamahama (01-10-2012)
Old 01-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Take the whole front off. Its easier in the end. I just put mine back in with the tranny attached. It cleared without dropping the front crossmember but put some type of padding over the lines so they dont get crushed. As far as the bolts try and get the bracket that adjusts it will be able to be bolted to the heads with a little time and effort. Just make sure you dont crush the valve covers since they are plastic.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Received 350 Likes on 232 Posts
how hard is it to take the front off without taking off the front front cross member. that's how I was planning to swap my timing cover

Old 01-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone. I was originally going to try and bring it out the top without the tranny like the way Ratio1to5/Nicole is planning to do it but my radiator support is busted and needs to be replaced anyway so I guess I'll be bringing it out the front.

Project, when you were talking about bolts and brackets are you referring to my question about what/how to attach my engine hoist chains to the engine? If so, where can I get an adjustable bracket like that?

Old 01-06-2012, 12:47 PM
We had purchased an engine hoist that came with the adjutable brakets and leveler, might check into that' try northern tools, maybe they have it?

Old 01-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Yeah, I just have a hoist with no leveller. I still need to purchase one. I'll be sure to try and find one that comes with adjustable brackets. Thanks.

Got your engine out yet?

Old 01-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by redpearl99
how hard is it to take the front off without taking off the front front cross member. that's how I was planning to swap my timing cover
The cross member is under the rear of the engine it has nothing to do with the front rad support. I think you asked me this before but you do have to take the lower oil pan off to get at the timing cover and you will need a gear puller to get the crank pulley off. The timing cover is a PITA in my opinion, i have taken it off a few times with the engine in the car and I curse every time I even think about it.

The people trying to lift the engine out the top i dont think it is possible. There is not enough room the way the battery box and the fluids box on the other side are. Try it but i have never heard of anyone getting it out that way. Usually through the front or drop the cross member and drop it through the bottom. For the amount of time to take the front end off it will be quicker and easier to get at all of the accessories and wiring on the front.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by J_Burna
Yeah, I just have a hoist with no leveller. I still need to purchase one. I'll be sure to try and find one that comes with adjustable brackets. Thanks.

Got your engine out yet?
We have been working on it today. We are doing some intense labeling on the way and taking notes to help those who have to do this in the future since there is no DIY engine swap helping guide...we have decided to take the front end off to remove the engine, however we are going to try to keep the transmission connected as we pull it from the vehicle..and separate the transmission from the motor outside of the vehicle

We will post the journey when we finish so keep checking back.!

- Ed and Nicole

The following users liked this post:
redpearl99 (01-13-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 02:54 AM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
sounds great, appreciate the work you are doing. Take more pictures than you ever think possible!!!

Old 01-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by Ratio1to5
We have been working on it today. We are doing some intense labeling on the way and taking notes to help those who have to do this in the future since there is no DIY engine swap helping guide...we have decided to take the front end off to remove the engine, however we are going to try to keep the transmission connected as we pull it from the vehicle..and separate the transmission from the motor outside of the vehicle

We will post the journey when we finish so keep checking back.!

- Ed and Nicole
This is great. I'm sure it will help a lot of people including myself. The service manual is good but a lot of times it tells you to remove things that don't really need to be removed. And there's always those little issues that you need to watch out for that they don't mention. And it can also be a little vague on the locations of connectors, hidden bolts, etc.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A DIY would be a fantastic help. I've also searched but haven't turned up anything. If I still own my g I plan on removing the engine in the spring to replace my headgaskets

Old 01-26-2012, 11:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We did it w/out removing the radiator support - we didnt want to recharge the AC system. We have done this 2 times and been successful both times. Its really not too bad. Once you get the bell housing bolts out and the wire harness off, all you need to do is make sure the trans seperates from the engine and pull it up. Go nice and slow. An extra pair of hand to help keep it all steady is good.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY engine removal?