Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

03 G35 Fuel Pressure Damper Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 09:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
03 G35 Fuel Pressure Damper Help

Hey everyone, so i found out that i have to get my fuel damper line replaced, the dealer wanted a leg and arm so of course i want to attempt this install myself. I searched around and i cant seem to find a DIY. Can somebody lead me the right way? The part # is 22675-AM60A

Thanks

Old 02-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nobody!???

Old 03-25-2012, 01:13 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
This may be a little late for you, but it may help someone else. I just did this install a couple days ago. Someone here said it took them 20 mins, and i'm not sure how because it took me much longer than that (could have been due to colder temperatures making the removal more difficult, perhaps, but I spent a couple hours since I didn't know what I was doing). With these instructions, it should go much faster for you. Anyway, here it goes:

1. Open the hood and remove the engine cover
2. Remove the vacuum line that connects the plenum to the battery cover area. This will give you some good working space.
3. Looking down between the strut tower and engine, you'll see a bracket that holds two fuel lines to the body. Remove those two bolts (10mm- I used a ratcheting wrench). Then, unlock the clip that fastens the fuel damper line to the bracket.
4. Push the now loosened bracket toward the back of the car so that it stays out of the way. This will make your job a lot easier.
5. Use a long screwdriver to remove the green clip that holds the bottom of the fuel damper line to the connecting fuel line. I just pushed down on it and it came right off.
6. Unbolt the top of the fuel damper hose. 10mm socket w/ small extension is best. Keep a shop towel handy to catch some minor fuel leakage, but I didn't depressurize the system and I didn't have any crazy spraying or anything.
7. Jack up the passenger side of the car high enough to crawl under. I found it easier to remove the lower connection from under the car, but since i'm 5'6 I didn't do this at the beginning.
8. Push the green tabs together (top and bottom) and push the connector off. The green "lock" will stay on, but the larger black piece will slide off with some effort while holding those tabs down. Beware some fuel will drain out here as well, so keep a rag handy. This step caused me the most grief. I think I pushed both tabs, then rotated the hose so they would stay open and then pushed the hose off. Once the hose is off, pull off the green lock and replace with the new one.

Install is reverse of removal!

Last edited by keithk831; 03-25-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by keithk831
This may be a little late for you, but it may help someone else. I just did this install a couple days ago. Someone here said it took them 20 mins, and i'm not sure how because it took me much longer than that (could have been due to colder temperatures making the removal more difficult, perhaps, but I spent a couple hours since I didn't know what I was doing). With these instructions, it should go much faster for you. Anyway, here it goes:

1. Open the hood and remove the engine cover
2. Remove the vacuum line that connects the plenum to the battery cover area. This will give you some good working space.
3. Looking down between the strut tower and engine, you'll see a bracket that holds two fuel lines to the body. Remove those two bolts (10mm- I used a ratcheting wrench). Then, unlock the clip that fastens the fuel damper line to the bracket.
4. Push the now loosened bracket toward the back of the car so that it stays out of the way. This will make your job a lot easier.
5. Use a long screwdriver to remove the green clip that holds the bottom of the fuel damper line to the connecting fuel line. I just pushed down on it and it came right off.
6. Unbolt the top of the fuel damper hose. 10mm socket w/ small extension is best. Keep a shop towel handy to catch some minor fuel leakage, but I didn't depressurize the system and I didn't have any crazy spraying or anything.
7. Jack up the passenger side of the car high enough to crawl under. I found it easier to remove the lower connection from under the car, but since i'm 5'6 I didn't do this at the beginning.
8. Push the green tabs together (top and bottom) and push the connector off. The green "lock" will stay on, but the larger black piece will slide off with some effort while holding those tabs down. Beware some fuel will drain out here as well, so keep a rag handy. This step caused me the most grief. I think I pushed both tabs, then rotated the hose so they would stay open and then pushed the hose off. Once the hose is off, pull off the green lock and replace with the new one.

Install is reverse of removal!
I noticed thumping noise in the passenger compartment. At first, I thought it was the fuel pump. Did more research, I think it's the fuel damper. Thank you for the instruction!

Old 04-29-2012, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I can hear a rumbling noise at idle so I changed out the fuel damper and whaalaa, the noise is gone. It makes sense since the fuel damper's main function is to "dampen" the fuel pressure (which is the rumbling noise) from the injectors..

The installation with wasn't so bad and the hardest part is the un-clipping the connector under the car. A good trick is to use a big flat head tip, stick it to where you have to push down on the green part and turn the flat head (letting the screw driver force the hose down from the green clip). It unclips it much faster than trying to squeeze it with your hands while trying to push down. If you do that, the installation is about 25-35 minutes.

I had to change out the valve cover with new grommets (extended warranty denied my power train warranty), new fan belts, Camshaft position sensor bank 2 anyways... so what a hell of a "tune up" weekend for me lol

Btw, my part number for the fuel damper is 22675-AM60B. This is the one that's not behind the intake manifold. It's the damper that comes with a hose attached to the valve, to the right side of the manifold if you're facing the engine.

Last edited by richard0ne; 04-30-2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:57 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
You should post a pic of the part if you can...it would be helpful for others

Old 05-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Tolboothwilley™
You should post a pic of the part if you can...it would be helpful for others
Yeah, I really should have. It was in the heat of the moment and I was time pressed.

But if anyone needs help please pm me or whatever.. I'll be glad to help

Old 05-08-2012, 08:36 PM
was it making a ticking sound that was related to engine RPM that was louder in the cabin than outside? Mines doing that and I'm think its my damper also.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:42 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Braunschweiger
was it making a ticking sound that was related to engine RPM that was louder in the cabin than outside? Mines doing that and I'm think its my damper also.
I only noticed mine at idle.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by keithk831
I only noticed mine at idle.
Yeah, you can only hear mines at idle as well.

It sounds like a rumbling noise, like a small diesel engine. But you can't hear it on the outside.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
^^ post up a pic to help out

Old 04-11-2013, 07:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is the fuel damper the same thing as a fuel pressure regulator?

Old 04-11-2013, 04:49 PM
To RichardOne,
I need to replace my fuel damper. Can you please tell me in detail how you exactly to remove the bottom connection with a screw driver? I am afraid to break the plastics with a screw driver. Thanks!

Old 04-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by =CPV35=
is the fuel damper the same thing as a fuel pressure regulator?
I am pretty sure they are the same. I need to replace my damper so I have done some research and have read about the fuel pressure regulator. Other make of cars call them fuel pressure regulator.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fuel Pressure Damper Pictures

Originally Posted by Tolboothwilley™
^^ post up a pic to help out

I know this is an old thread, but there was an unanswered request for pics, so I'm adding pics.

I recommend removing the small rock-bounce blocking guard under the car -- the small one behind the big one you have to remove to to change the oil. Makes getting to the junction between the fuel damper line and the line from the back of the car much easier.

It was surprisingly difficult to separate the fuel lines underneath the car. (Green clip.) I ended up using a twisting motion and didn't worry about why it worked. A pretty good little splurt of gasoline spilled over the rag and on my sleeve. My eyes were over under the tranny, so no real concern. I wouldn't have my head underneath the clip when popping it open. The elongated light green part (in picture under car) just pulls straight down to come off, then the bright green clips that also exist on the replacement part are the tricky part.

I had one small problem getting the new one on -- the part comes with a short tube (shown in pic sitting on driveway) inserted in the bottom end to keep dust and other potentially engine-fouling debris out. It pulls out effortlessly, and if you don't remove it, it makes installation impossible. Once removed, the damper line popped on super easy.

Now the idle is quiet. The dull rumble from the glove box I had before is gone. As is ~$90.

Attached Thumbnails 03 G35 Fuel Pressure Damper Help-damperincar.jpg   03 G35 Fuel Pressure Damper Help-part-removed.jpg   03 G35 Fuel Pressure Damper Help-underneath.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
G35fromPA (01-05-2015)