Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Clutch system will not bleed. Need help.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Aku
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Clutch system will not bleed. Need help.

This whole thing started when randomly when I started the car one day and pushed the clutch in and realized that the clutch was not fully disengaging as it was hard to get into gear and once I to gear the pedal had no free play before the friction point hit. I pumped the pedal a few times and heard a pop sound and the pedal immediately went super limp and flopped around. I assumed that if the slave had gone bad there would be fluid leaking from it everywhere. There were 0 fluid leaks anywhere in the system.. The fluid in the resevoir did not drain and stayed level... My first thought was clutch master cylinder seal as the plunger would move but fluid just flowed past it and didn't push slave:

Bought new cmc and got it installed today. I know for sure t works because I loosened the high pressure hard line a bit and pushed the pedal and was able to leak a little fluid between hard line and cmc. Tightened that back up and went to bleed but after the 5 pumps and hold then crack the bleeder valve absolutely 0 fluid would come out the bleeder valve. I spend 3 hours with my roommate trying the pump and hold technique and using the power bleeder at 5-15psi. Nothing works. Did a bunch of forum searches and found the mess with the plunger / pedal adjustment thingy and I tried that in the middle and both extremes. Still no fluid.

Gave up for tonight. Tomorrow I plan to disconnect the banjo from the slave to verify if I can even get fluid through all the hard lines as maybe it's the slave that's the problem.

Just wondering if anybody else had this issue and/or anybody has any suggestions.

Thanks

Last edited by Aku; 04-11-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
try bench bleeding the CMC first - I had similar troubles on a few 08 G37 coupes - what model is yours?

Old 04-18-2012, 04:42 PM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
If the pedal isn't adjusted right and the master cylinder is not allowed to come all the way up/out when the pedal is up bleeding will never succeed. Make sure there is some play in the adjustment pin when the pedal is all the way up. Not sure if that's your issue.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:25 PM
Aku
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Problem has been solved.

After replacing the CMC it wouldn't bleed, turned out the Slave was clogged or bad. Replaced the Slave and system bled fine... until I found out the original issue was probably the most annoying and the clutch fork pivot ball had sheared off. We dropped the trans over the weekend and put in a new pivot ball and the Z1 motor sport cast iron clutch fork and tossed it all back together last night.

She runs like a champ now.