Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

'06 Sedan won't idle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down '06 Sedan won't idle *RESOLVED*

**************EDIT: SOLVED, FIXED (fuel pressure regulator was bad)***************

This car just started turning into another project car, I can see it already..

I have an '06 Sedan with slightly over 120,000mi. Besides my clutch slipping prior to this unfortunate event , my car was sputtering and had a loss of power while driving home from a friends house after two hard starts earlier in the day. Once I got to my house, my car never started again no matter what I did. No SES codes.. At least from me doing the pedal dance trick, I just get the four 0s. I had already had a set of NGK Iridium IXs in my garage, so I installed those to no avail (not that I was thinking that would be the fix). I picked up both bank's cam position sensors (OEM from Nissan dealer) yesterday and replaced them... nope. New fuel pump comes in today. So that's next... Tomorrow the crankshaft position sensor comes in. I'm posting to keep track of this proccess and leave it open for helpful tips because I NEED my car. This is my daily driver.

*** On a side note, yesterday after installing the sparkplugs, it would turn over and run for a few seconds sounding like complete ****, but eventually the RPMs would fall back to 0 and it would die. Extremely rough idle. It probably needed the plugs anyway, so I'm sure that helped, but had nothing to do with the root problem.

SO FAR
* sparkplugs (no oil anywhere, so valve covers are good)
* both camshaft position sensors
* fuel pump
* crankshaft position sensor

POSSIBILITIES
* MAF
* ignition coil plugs
* fuel pressure regulator
* ???

HELPPPP :/

**************EDIT: SOLVED, FIXED (fuel pressure regulator was bad)***************

Last edited by nadjkovic; 06-22-2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: SOLVED, FIXED
Old 06-05-2012, 09:49 AM
How long do you have to have the car running like crap, and idling rough for it to throw an SES? I'll take a video later today so you guys can hear what i'm talking about.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:50 AM
Also, would my clutch going out have anything to do with this? My clutch was slipping prior for about 2 weeks. AKA if I was to give it too much gas, the RPMs would jump for a second or so before the clutch would grab.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:26 PM

Received 802 Likes on 678 Posts
G35 Sedan
crap...i have no idea good luck with this

Old 06-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by JaE35
crap...i have no idea good luck with this
Thank you for the reply..
& by the way, no mods. I had an oil catch can & thought I may have developed a vacuum leak so I took it off, which had no effect.

Last edited by nadjkovic; 06-05-2012 at 02:30 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-05-2012, 02:30 PM

Received 802 Likes on 678 Posts
G35 Sedan
Crankshaft sensor come in yet?

Old 06-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Coil packs maybe, esp if changing the plugs changed it up a bit. But the system should be registering a misfire/problem with them.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
If your RPMs are jumping when you accelerate then it might be the crankshaft sensor. I had a similar problem and the crankshaft sensor did the trick

Old 06-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by JaE35
Crankshaft sensor come in yet?
Originally Posted by onevoice
If your RPMs are jumping when you accelerate then it might be the crankshaft sensor. I had a similar problem and the crankshaft sensor did the trick
Crankshaft position sensor came in today. Replaced it, no cigar.

Originally Posted by MaDMaXX
Coil packs maybe, esp if changing the plugs changed it up a bit. But the system should be registering a misfire/problem with them.
Well to sum up today, I attempted to replace the fuel pump with a Bosch that I had ordererd, and it was completeley different. I'll post pics later. Realized I got the COUPE version. Found out that most aftermarket OEM-like replacement manufacturers don't make the pump for the sedan. & looking here @ infinitipartsusa.com....
http://www.infinitipartsusa.com/2006...how=100&page=1
..you can't just buy an all in one unit like you can with the coupe. The sedan fuel system is slightly more complicated, and you buy all the pieces separately.

*** I picked up a fuel pressure tester for rent today from autozone, and I want to check the fuel pressure when starting, etc. I know I think it's supposed to be ~41 psi I believe. Has anyone done this before? Where did you hook it up? Normally there's a bung pre-fuel rail, but there isn't from what I can see.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:15 AM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
I believe i recently saw that in the FSM, and that's about the pressure at idle. It does show where and how to connect it.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Any updates?

Did you try starting it with the MAF disconnected?

Old 06-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by onevoice
Any updates?

Did you try starting it with the MAF disconnected?
Replaced fuel pump about 30 minutes ago, ran okay for about 3 minutes before it started stumbling, misfiring, etc again. No go on the pump.

I assume starting it without the MAF will eliminate that as the problem, yes? If it goes into safe mode correctly? Please help, forum ):

EDIT: Wouldn't start with MAF unplugged. Won't start either way. HELPPP

Last edited by nadjkovic; 06-15-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:55 PM
I'm about to bring it to the service department in the nearest dealer.. I've never done that before, and have never wanted to stoop this low..

Old 06-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
id check wires on the coils, if some are frayed or not plugged in all the way or grounded to somehting else... thats my first guess

Old 06-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by nadjkovic
I'm about to bring it to the service department in the nearest dealer.. I've never done that before, and have never wanted to stoop this low..
Get a hold of yourself man and have some self respect!

Know anyone else with a G that you can use parts off of to test? Like MAF

Also have you checked for vacuum leaks? Must be a big one if you car stumbles like this.

OR could it be that you just have really bad gas?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '06 Sedan won't idle