Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Need advice on built engine break-in and tune (unique situation)?

Old 07-24-2013, 07:26 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Need advice on built engine break-in and tune (unique situation)?

Ok, let me start off by saying that the search engine on this site doesn't work properly, or I'm just not using it properly. I think I get more relevant information using Google.

Anyway, to keep things short, I have a built engine for an 04 MT coupe non-rev that is almost complete. I decided on a Vortech V-3 for a supercharger. (Not going turbos...long story). What makes my situation unique is that my compression ratio is 10:3, which is exactly the same ratio compared to stock. The only difference is that I will have forged internals.

First, question....since I have break in the engine...would it be wise to break in the engine with the supercharger as well? Should I use the standard 3.33 pulley to keep the boost low or jump to the 2.87 right away during the break-in period?

I would like to add thatI already have a map/tune and license on my ECU through Uprev. The map that is currently stored was for a plenum spacer, z-tube, and a rev-up airbox running on standard 91 Octane fuel. (I will be using 93-94 for the final tune though)

Now the idea of breaking-in the engine without the supercharger hooked up also came to mind. As far as I understand, the supercharger can still be installed without the rear cog belt connected, therefore running N/A, but please correct me if I'm wrong. This brings me to my next question.

If its a wise decision to break-in the engine N/A first, before dyno tuning my car with the supercharger, can I use the map that is currently stored on my ECU to break my engine in with the following parts installed?

Injector Dynamics 725cc injectors
CJM Stage 1 Fuel Return system
Aeromotive 340 fuel pump
Uprev MAF sensor

I would think that since I already have a tune for a plenum spacer, z-tube, and rev-up airbox, that the map/tune currently stored would work for the break-in. My concern is with the injector spray on the other parts listed above. Keep in mind, my compression ratio will be 10:3, just like stock, which leads me to believe that my current map/tune would work.

The other route would be to pull the ECU, take the ECU to the Uprev tuner for a base map (which is 2 hours away), drive back (different car of course), install the map until the engine is broken, return to tuner for completion of tune on dyno. The last part of the equation is an absolute. I'm just trying to avoid additional costs if possible.

Hopefully, someone can help me with my issue. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Tl;dr

Did you see a professional about this?

Old 08-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
my advice, if its an etune from them, dont other using it... those are junk... guy in 6mt.net had one and when he went to get it dyno tuned later, the etune had him running at 17:1!!!! dangerously lean... DYNO TUNE IS A MUST

Old 08-03-2013, 08:08 PM
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
i would drive the car to the authorized uprev tuner with the ecu set stock and have them dyno tune it... it will be fine since the compression is stock