Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

NWP75mm throttle body 15hp- Still not convinced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 08:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NWP75mm throttle body 15hp- Still not convinced

Hi peolple wondering if there is any updates on these kits. Its been a cpl of months since the last comments on these and still no solid answer (please no guesses or scientific stuff about why it wont work.. This will be my last breather mod before i uprev tune and wanting to know what ppl have achived. Worth it???

If they worked i dont understand why they arnt getting raved on about.

http://www.nwpengineering.com/Phenolic[/FONT][/SIZE]_Spacers.html#BBTB[/FONT][/FONT]

Old 11-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Premier Member

Received 421 Likes on 339 Posts
I too am on the fence about these. Haven't tuned a car with one in person and I have seen no definitive proof (before and after dyno sheets, etc) so I'm with you in the wait n see crowd

Old 11-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
If you're planning on tuning anyway (and you should be), upgrade the intake tube to a 3.5" unit. Changing the MAF housing will require a retune anyway, but it makes a good difference in air flow. Just opening up the TB size still limits you to how much air can get through the tube. It'll help, but it's still not "done" imo with a stock sized tube.

I don't have before and after numbers, I've changed too much and never did a before anyway, but I'm happy with mine. I'll be trying to get in on a local dyno day the next time one pops up and I will post whatever the results are, but can't help you until then.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for replies anymore solid evidence?

Old 11-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
I haven't seen enough info yet either - hoping that someone will finally post something to convince me

Old 11-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
everyone I've seen who's gotten one has "raved" about it, including me

Old 11-06-2013, 04:11 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Me too, I don't have any empirical proof it added power but it has made the car more fun to drive. Worth the $$ IMO. Now I need to upgrade my MAF and intake tube. SMH I'll never be done with this car lol.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:34 AM
Without any empirical proof I know there will always be people who will doubt it no matter what else is involved. But I've got to say that for less than the price of an MREV2 it did a lot more for the response and feel on the butt dyno. I did the spacer/mrev/z-tube combo a while back and didn't get nearly the kick in the *** that I did on the NWP and over sized intake tube.

It will always come down to more air going in making more power out. And I don't think it's mathematically possible for a 5mm increase to create too much air for the OEM style plenum volumes.

The upgraded MAF/tube size really brought it to life though. I can't recommend that highly enough. JuicinJake did some logging with and without (with a different, but also similarly sized 3.5" tube on a modified stock airbox) and noticed that just upgrading the tube size gave him 6.5% more air flow over stock. His new tube and larger throttle body (pre-NWP kit, but same size TB) netted him 10% more airflow over stock. Remember the "dynoing the myths of intake mods" thread? The reason they all performed about the same is that they're all the same size. None of them are adding air volume.

I understand the skepticism but I'm also amazed that we've gotten this bad about it. I can't think of an engine offhand that hasn't responded well to more air coming in.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
the opinions on my350z seem to be on the more opposite end of the positive spectrum. atleast that's how it seemed. I would really like to see hard data rather than "it feels faster"

Old 11-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
I have yet to install mine so I can't comment on actual experience, but I do hold the opinions from those over on my350z with more weight. And yeah, most of them say its not worth it. To see the benefits from something like this you would need the entire intake setup redone, possibly plenum modification depending on how far your willing to go, the restrictions removed from the exhaust and a tune. Essentially a full bolt-on and tuned setup.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:23 AM
Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Upgrade is more beneficial to forced induction setup.

The 15 HP gain is @ 6200 RPM which is the non rev-up power limit with stock cams. FI is still producing sufficient air flow to see greater top end HP gain.

Rev-Up would see slightly more HP gains on the upper RPM range.

Not disputing anyones butt dyno results, agree with OBsessed that other supporting mods needed.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:28 AM
Originally Posted by herrschaft
To see the benefits from something like this you would need the entire intake setup redone, possibly plenum modification depending on how far your willing to go, the restrictions removed from the exhaust and a tune. Essentially a full bolt-on and tuned setup.
EXACTLY! Why you would expect to see a 3" intake tube, feed through a larger than 3" Throttle Body making *** loads of power is beyond me. You're not opening anything up with JUST the throttle body. Feed it more air, and you're in good shape. Port and polish your plenum too, it's not expensive and will help. Removing restrictions from the exhaust should always be recommended, this is nothing new. If you run through a larger intake w/larger MAF housing, you will absolutely need a tune. If you're a non-revup guy, consider throwing cams in as well. This isn't about just "is the NWP worth it" this is "How do I get decent power out of my car." And part of that answer certainly includes a larger throttle body.

If you just throw on the larger throttle body, and do nothing else, you're just trying to suck air in through the same limited straw, it's not going to help you. It's like trying to use a funnel in reverse.

Marty @ RRydes may still have 3.5" intakes left, he was doing $265 shipped on them. Guys have logged up to a 6.5% increase in air flow with JUST a 3.5" intake (on stock throttle body). If you expect your z-tube to do too much you'll be disappointed.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,030 Likes on 947 Posts
It is just the car isn't worth that amount of mods for its base value. A full breather increase isn't as much of a value anymore!

Old 11-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The current price of the car has nothing to do with how much value a modification has. If people enjoy driving and modding their G, this may still be worthwhile. People still mod old Fox body Mustangs...

Old 11-07-2013, 05:34 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
yea wat does the urban engineer mean by "its base value"...*hint this is ur chance to back peddle lol jp

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: NWP75mm throttle body 15hp- Still not convinced