Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Oil Additives

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 03:00 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Oil Additives

So I currently have about 121k miles on my 2006 G35x sedan, and have been thinking about putting in an oil additive to reduce some of the oil consumption as well as restore some power.

I bought a bottle of Restore Engine Treatment but read on here that multiple people have had engine trouble after using it. So I think I'm not going to put that in.

Any other suggestions? I'm looking at some Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer instead but would like some more opinions.

I currently run Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 oil and I'm losing about a quart every 1-2k miles. No drivability issues aside from that.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I doubt any additive will do any good. Have you tried switching to conventional oil or blended. I have heard that full synthetics are made of smaller molecules and are more prone to being consumed. If you’re adding a quart every 1-2k it shouldn’t take long to see if it helps.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by G35sedan6speed
I doubt any additive will do any good. Have you tried switching to conventional oil or blended. I have heard that full synthetics are made of smaller molecules and are more prone to being consumed. If you’re adding a quart every 1-2k it shouldn’t take long to see if it helps.
I just put in the last of my Mobil 1 the other day, and I bought a quart of Valvoline High Mileage Synthetic Blend to use next.

Any other opinions on improving oil consumption, compression, etc? Aside from replacing a valve cover gasket, which is pretty expensive AFAIK.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're consuming oil you have engine oil making it's way past the rings and into the combustion chamber. I would try a thicker oil, say, 5W-40. Synthetic or not shouldn't matter as much as a heavier weight. Run that heavier oil for 3000-5000 miles and check it frequently and I bet that reduces it. Keep in mind that your gas mileage will decrease slightly.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:24 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Try the 10W40 weight Mobil1 synthetic, adding those "Magic Fix Alls" may only hurt since you're running synthetic. Maybe it's time to trade this car in for one with lower mileage...Gary

Old 04-15-2014, 12:28 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
Try the 10W40 weight Mobil1 synthetic, adding those "Magic Fix Alls" may only hurt since you're running synthetic. Maybe it's time to trade this car in for one with lower mileage...Gary
Think this is a better alternative to using a 5W30 synthetic blend?

Old 04-16-2014, 01:00 AM
Well, rather than do something drastic all at once, I think i'm going to use some seafoam in the oil until Saturday, then get an oil change with 5W-30 synthetic blend (instead of 5W-30 Mobil 1) and see if that helps at all. Then look at going to a heavier weight oil or straight up conventional down the road. Going to 10W-40 makes me a little nervous with 121k miles on the motor.

Trending Topics

Old 04-18-2014, 09:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
1. There is no such thing as "Mechanic in a can". If you have problems with oil consumption, nothing in a can is going to help.

2. Industry norm is about 800 miles be quart before it's called bad. Stop using synthetic oils and switch to conventional and 3k oil changes. You'll add way less oil between changes.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by shoult
1. There is no such thing as "Mechanic in a can". If you have problems with oil consumption, nothing in a can is going to help.

2. Industry norm is about 800 miles be quart before it's called bad. Stop using synthetic oils and switch to conventional and 3k oil changes. You'll add way less oil between changes.
I dunno...i'm a firm believer in Sea Foam. But that doesn't really help with OC.

I'm switching to synthetic blend on Saturday. Hoping that will help.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by keithk831
I dunno...i'm a firm believer in Sea Foam. But that doesn't really help with OC.

I'm switching to synthetic blend on Saturday. Hoping that will help.
If anything, synthetics will make exacerbate the problem.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:25 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Infiniti suggests mineral oil in our cars, and most people just believe the synthetic hype. All the rubber seals and rings swell and are lubricated by the oil you put in your engine. I feel like there's a reason they suggest mineral.

Infact I wonder how many people have oil consumption problems* vs how many use synthetic. May be a good survey.

*other than the known revup oil consumption

Old 04-18-2014, 11:35 PM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts

Stop being brain washed

The following users liked this post:
Urbanengineer (04-19-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by JKL1031
Stop being brain washed
By what? The synthetic hype? There are really great reasons to use it and good reasons not to. An engine that is consuming oil is a good reason not to.

And I've been through the rigamarole with another manufacturer about what is "acceptable" amount of usage.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:05 AM
By what? The synthetic hype? There are really great reasons to use it and good reasons not to. An engine that is consuming oil is a good reason not to.

And I've been through the rigamarole with another manufacturer about what is "acceptable" amount of usage.
He is right. Synthetic has a great place in a lot of applications, but is not the be all to end all. Infiniti recommends mineral (as I said a few posts up) and I'm wondering if its due to how the gaskets/rings were designed. I know a lot of people use synthetic because they wanna "baby" their nice car, but I'm wondering if it does more harm than good. Reminds me of the way people use gasoline. People use "super" to baby their vehicle, when in reality its completely unnecessary to put 91 octane in your '97 Toyota Tercel. Different applications for differently designed products.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by keithk831
Well, rather than do something drastic all at once, I think i'm going to use some seafoam in the oil until Saturday, then get an oil change with 5W-30 synthetic blend (instead of 5W-30 Mobil 1) and see if that helps at all. Then look at going to a heavier weight oil or straight up conventional down the road. Going to 10W-40 makes me a little nervous with 121k miles on the motor.
Why does 10/40 conventional make you nervous? The weight of the oil you should use is directly connected to the environment in which you live. I ran 20/50 conventional for about 2.5 years before I switched to a 5/30 synthetic blend to try to get the best of both worlds. It's worked out well for me, but the only difference it made was a slight bit of mpg.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil Additives