Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Coolant leak..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lexi35
If your car is overheating and you want to bring the temperature down fast turn the heater on. But you should definitely turn the car off as soon as that happens. And if you have animals be careful because dogs and cats are attracted to the sweet smell of the coolant. They have a anti serum for cats but not for dogs
my car was overheating, but the overheating didn't went into red zone. slightly above the normal range and there was coolant leak on the day happened.

Next day, I checked with mechanic to see if leaks there. They pressure tested and don't find any leaks.

After they returned the car, again everything seems normal(driven for 4 days).
seems thermostat is sticky. I bought a thermostat just in case if problem repeats.

Background:
First time I observed, I was on highway and it's cold (40 F)outside and my a/c is in auto mode. In a/c auto mode, a/c is still throwing cold air. I switched to a/c econ mode, switched on leather seat heat buttons(both driver & passenger). After few mins, I observed overheating problem(though it didn't went into red zone). I turned off leather seat buttons and a/c. then it came to normal.

Second time I observed, the following day after few miles driven with a/c/heaters all off.

After mechanic returned car, no issue observed.

I'm wondering, is the problem just with thermostat or anything else?

Thanks

Old 12-02-2014, 11:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same thing happened to my 04 coupe. Radiator started leaking massive amounts of fluid EVERYWHERE ( the fan would spray it over engine compartment and belts) so i couldnt find the problem, after getting a new radiator everything was perfectly normal, no leaks, no overheating. Installed it myself and was good to go that same day! Perfect chance for a coolant flush lol