Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Blown head gasket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Blown head gasket

So I've been reading threads and doing some research on symptoms of a blown head gasket, and I think I'm going to be unhappy here. I have a 2004 g35 coupe 6mt with around 121k on the engine. I did an oil change at the 117k point and everything was good then at around 120k It was almost bone dry with no oil. I do check my fluids rather frequently and that stupid designed dip stick is very deceptive along with no oil lamp coming on but I digress. I once again did an oil change thinking that it was the common oil consumption problem. However my car is burning oil I can see white smoke coming from the rear and since there isn't going to be a new pope anytime soon that doesn't make me happy.

Coolant level is still good along with all other fluids except the oil obviously. Also now replacing the before cat o2 sensors. So my question is, is this a blown head gasket problem or could it be something else?

If it is the head gasket I would like to do it myself and avoid the majority of the mechanics labor cost since I'm stationed in Germany ATM and they love to f*ck Americans with car repairs.

Has anyone done it themselves before and could you provide any advice or DIY guides for me to follow.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide. I just want to enjoy my car again

Old 08-27-2015, 11:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you drained the oil to see if you have any coolant in your oil? Oil in your coolant?
Does the white smoke smell like antifreeze? Kind of a sweet smell.
How hot is the engine running?

Old 08-27-2015, 11:12 PM
Also Is the smoke slightly blueish? Is it a lot of smoke coming out the exhaust? Any power loss issues?
How fast is it losing oil?

Old 08-28-2015, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by knightro g35
Also Is the smoke slightly blueish? Is it a lot of smoke coming out the exhaust? Any power loss issues?
How fast is it losing oil?

I've drained the oil previously didn't appear that any coolant was in it nor any oil in the coolant. As far as the smell goes it does smell a bit sweet but coolant levels aren't any lower than the last time I checked not is the engine running hot. I've never had the engine overheat on me or anything like that. To me the smoke just looks white. Quite of bit of smoke to where it's alarming. Power loss isn't really an issue it still likes to get up and go since I changed the spark plugs with the new iridium ones. I'd say I'm loosing quite a bit more and more quickly this go around. I can't necessarily say how much at a time but with the amount of smoke pouring out id say probably a quart and a half already.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:02 AM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
do a compression check and a leak down test.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by andrewvk
do a compression check and a leak down test.
agreed