Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Camshaft Positioning Sensor issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camshaft Positioning Sensor issues

I have a 2005 G35 coupe with a little over 100k miles on it and it runs great.

The other day I stopped for gas and when I went to start the car, it did not want to start for a few tries; finally it did start. The VDC and SLIP lights were now on as well as the Service Engine light. The car did seem down a little on power. When I got home I put the computer on it and got a P0345 error and the message "Camshaft Positioning Sensor "A".

From what I could find on youtube, they stated CPS 1 was on the passenger side so I guess "A" is also known as "1" so I went to O'reily's and bout a new sensor. I installed the new sensor and the VDC and SLIP lights were off and the car stated much easier so I cleared the error codes and took off for a test drive.

The power was back and maybe a little more.Drove about 20 miles and had to stop for gas (drove a lot the day before) but not at the same station. When I went to start the car, the stupid VDC, SLIP, and Service Engine lights were back on and the car was hard to start again. Power does not seem to be down as much as before though.

What are the chances that I was sold a defective CPS? Did I replace the correct one? Any other suggestions?

The car does have headers but otherwise is stock. No tuning done (yet).

Thank you in advance and Merry Christmas!

---Michael

Old 12-23-2015, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,031 Likes on 948 Posts
Read the code again.

I would replace these sensors in pairs. The O'reily part should be good, may not last as long as OEM.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've swapped them out before as well... didn't do the pair (as advised), the second one went about two weeks later. Oh well... I bought from Advanced auto, cannot remember what brand. I was also advised to not get those, but its been two years, all is good.