Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Loud noise when turning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Loud noise when turning

Hello, I hope I am posting this in the right place. I have a 2005 G35 coupe. When I get to speeds higher than about 30mph there is a loud humming noise which seems to coming from the rear of the car. The noise gets louder when I turn left and quieter when I turn right. I thought the obvious cause was a wheel bearing. After replacing both wheel bearings on the right side, the noise is still there. Any ideas??? Differential problems maybe?

Old 05-05-2017, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
How do the tires look?

Old 05-05-2017, 09:55 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
How do the tires look?
Funny! Prior to installing the Camber kit my Bridgestones were very worn on the inside, I had such a loud hummm I couldn't turn up the radio loud enough to drowned it out!
Sound you're hearing could easily be worn tires...Gary

Old 05-05-2017, 10:03 PM
Tires are good. They're pretty new and it was making the noise before and after they were replaced.
​​​​

Old 05-05-2017, 10:12 PM
Let's quit guessing what might be causing the noise you describe! Find an independent brake/alignment shop in your area, everyone has at least one! All they do is suspensions, you've wasted enough $$ replacing the wheel bearing!
Gary

Old 05-05-2017, 10:41 PM
Well the bearing was only about 30 bucks. I was hoping to avoid the shop because I haven't had good experiences. I thought the point of the forum was to avoid the shop. Oh well, guess I'll suck it up.
​​​​​​

Old 05-06-2017, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by tdjames
Well the bearing was only about 30 bucks. I was hoping to avoid the shop because I haven't had good experiences. I thought the point of the forum was to avoid the shop. Oh well, guess I'll suck it up.
​​​​​​
Most of us would rather eat dirt than bother with a Infiniti stealership! However, it never hurts to ask for professional help from an "Independent brake/alignment shop" when you have difficult suspension issues! Having issues with one shop, ask around and find one that gets the job done!
Gary

Old 05-08-2017, 05:39 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by tdjames
​​​​​​
I wouldn't give up on the forum yet. It could be a number of things but in a way Gary's right, without being there in person all we can do is guess but they will mostly be educated guesses. One thing it might be is an issue with your rear differential as you mentioned. How many miles are on the car? It could be an issue with one of your rear half shafts, when they start to age they have been known to whine but it's a fairly rare issue.

Use Google and the search function here to see if you can find out some other possible causes before you head over to the shop.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:06 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Can you do a video or capture it in some way?

Old 05-08-2017, 01:37 PM
The car has a little over 130K. I've done some searching and I can't find anything useful. It seems like every time this problem is described, it's the wheel bearing. I can see if I can make a video that captures the noise. Oh, and some background; when I replaced the front passenger bearing it fixed a loud thrumming sound, so I can be pretty certain that wasn't a waste of time. However, the noise I'm experiencing now has been there through both bearing changes and tire changes. Also the humming or whining noise occurs between about 30-75mph, gets a little quieter after 75. Again, it gets louder on left turns. Accelerating and coasting doesn't seem to have an impact. To me it seems it can only be in the differential or that half shaft. But guessing on those could be expensive...

Old 05-08-2017, 05:49 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
What's scary is the sound is coming from the rear but it's affected by turning left & not right, I'm stumped

Old 05-10-2017, 07:18 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
You can get remanufactured half shafts from RockAuto online for about $70 and they are a pretty straightforward install. On the diff I'd change the fluid with a quality 75-90 gear oil and see if that changes anything. If you do it yourself you'll need to buy 2 quarts and won't use all of it. Don't be concerned if you think it stinks, it smells like azz normally.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.