Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Crank Strong. No Start. Doesn't Run. No Injector Pulse.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crank Strong. No Start. Doesn't Run. No Injector Pulse.

I recently purchased a G35 coupe that doesn't start. I diagnose it to the fuel pump and replaced it. The pump primes well but no start still. I see that there is fuel pressure but the injectors aren't firing since I sprayed starting fluid into theI intake and it runs good off of that fluid.
I have put a noid light on them and they are not pulsing. I have put a voltmeter into injector wiring and there is 12 volts on one end, so I see that there is no ground pulse.
I have checked for codes but the only pending code was P0183.
I feel like I'm close yo getting it to start but I have no clue where to turn. My final resort would tow it to the dealer.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:33 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Clear the error code, do the ecu reset procedure then see if it starts, I don't think that error (fuel temp) can kill the ignition circuit but it might as part of an engine safety protocol. I'm surprised you're getting that error on a new fuel pump, are you sure it was installed properly?

What is the resistance of each injector?

You say there is no ground present at ANY of the injector harnesses but that you have 12vdc at all harnesses. Are you SURE you don't have ground? What does the meter say you resistance is when measured from the negative battery terminal to the negative wire on the harness. I'm pretty darned sure only the 12vdc pulses and the ground is constant, seems odd that ground is not present?

Old 07-18-2017, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Clear the error code, do the ecu reset procedure then see if it starts, I don't think that error (fuel temp) can kill the ignition circuit but it might as part of an engine safety protocol. I'm surprised you're getting that error on a new fuel pump, are you sure it was installed properly?

What is the resistance of each injector?

You say there is no ground present at ANY of the injector harnesses but that you have 12vdc at all harnesses. Are you SURE you don't have ground? What does the meter say you resistance is when measured from the negative battery terminal to the negative wire on the harness. I'm pretty darned sure only the 12vdc pulses and the ground is constant, seems odd that ground is not present?
I'll clear the error codes and ecu reset it tomorrow but I am positive that i have installed it correctly. Also the injectors resistance was reading 1244 Ohms in all 6 of them. And as for the wiring I had the key to the on position and on the positive side of the harness reads 11.89V but now pushing the probe further in the negative side I'm getting 2.48V.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:58 AM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I think the range on your meter is set wrong, should be about 15 ohms for each injector and they should all have about the same value. Check continuity (ohms) between the negative pin of the injector harnesses and the negative battery terminal. You should have ZERO ohms resistance between them.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by AceFox3
I recently purchased a G35 coupe that doesn't start. I diagnose it to the fuel pump and replaced it. The pump primes well but no start still. I see that there is fuel pressure but the injectors aren't firing since I sprayed starting fluid into theI intake and it runs good off of that fluid.
I have put a noid light on them and they are not pulsing. I have put a voltmeter into injector wiring and there is 12 volts on one end, so I see that there is no ground pulse.
I have checked for codes but the only pending code was P0183.
I feel like I'm close yo getting it to start but I have no clue where to turn. My final resort would tow it to the dealer.
Read the EC chapter for your vehicle

http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manu.../Coupe/2003/ec

See page EC-598

The ECM activates the fuel pump for several seconds after the ignition switch is turned on to improve engine
startability. If the ECM receives a engine speed signal from the camshaft position sensor (PHASE), it knows
that the engine is rotating, and causes the pump to operate. If the engine speed signal is not received when
the ignition switch is ON, the engine stalls. The ECM stops pump operation and prevents battery discharging,
thereby improving safety. The ECM does not directly drive the fuel pump. It controls the ON/OFF fuel pump
relay, which in turn controls the fuel pump

See page EC-591

INJECTOR CIRCUIT
PFP:16600
Component Description
ABS003KZ
The fuel injector is a small, precise solenoid valve. When the ECM
supplies a ground to the injector circuit, the coil in the injector is
energized. The energized coil pulls the needle valve back and allows
fuel to flow through the injector into the intake manifold. The amount
of fuel injected depends upon the injection pulse duration. Pulse
duration is the length of time the injector remains open. The ECM
controls the injection pulse duration based on engine fuel needs.

I find it amazing that so many post without reading and following FSM troubleshooting steps

Telcoman

Old 07-19-2017, 12:06 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Wow, never knew that Nissan cycles the GROUND at the injector with a constant 12v.

Edit: it does make sense though, you would need a constant 12v supply to be able to accurately read resistance for individual injector monitoring at higher rpms.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:16 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
I would check for continuity to the grounds at the ECM. The FSM lists what terminals they are or you could have a bad ECM.

How about the keys? Does the red light stay on or off when you put the car in the "ON" position?

Old 07-19-2017, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Wow, never knew that Nissan cycles the GROUND at the injector with a constant 12v.

Edit: it does make sense though, you would need a constant 12v supply to be able to accurately read resistance for individual injector monitoring at higher rpms.
That is why it is important to read the FSM

You cannot read resistance with 12v on the injector.
The FSM explains how to test the injectors

Telcoman

Old 07-19-2017, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the advice guy's. I will do all this and report back with what I got.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.