Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

DIY : eBay Catch Can Mod *PIC HEAVY*

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 12:10 PM
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by chasracer
Yes there will be some oil residue around the vent filter - oh well the engine gets dust, dirt and whatever else on it every time I drive it. That's why from time to time I shoot it with some spray cleaner and hose it off. I'm good on this subject.

From both valve covers to a vented catch can is where this residual oil is going on mine. No PCV in the deal and all of the "oil entrances" to the intake plenum will be sealed off. I just haven't decided if the cover plate over the oil galley is going to be retained or not.

I can actually believe your fuel mileage increase although that is a hefty one. If you think about it, you are no longer contaminating the fuel/air mix with an oil byproduct. Combustion is going to be better, more even and output better power therefore you do not need quite as much throttle to maintain a certain RPM or MPH.
It's easier to clean dirt out of the engine bay than it is to clean oil saturated dirt. In the video below, he ran a breather can from the pass side valve cover and blocked off both sides of the PCV on the driver side. Both the valve cover and the intake holes are plugged and the can simply interrupts the passenger side PCV that leads to the plenum. I can't seem to find the link to the thread where someone detailed the issues with blocking them off, but this video shows why you shouldn't.

NOTE : I will go back and watch his other video where he installed the can, but I'm fairly certain that what I detailed above is how he did it.

SKIP TO 4:23

Last edited by Conissah; 03-14-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:26 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, I watched the video and blocking off the valve cover and not providing a vent for the air pressure inside the engine is just kind of dumb. I hope everyone understands that for every bit of pressure you are developing in the cylinders of an engine, the same amount of pressure is being created in the internal portion of the engine. We started off with road draft tubes back in the day to handle the problem, then graduated to PCV units. Again, I am not blocking off the valve covers, they are simply being piped to the catch can which is vented. I am blocking off any air intake that was previously connected to the PCV system.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:37 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
for anyone who doesnt want to go through all that these baffled cans on ebay are great. i had one

Old 03-15-2018, 09:57 PM
Looks pretty good. Do you know if the threaded ports are SAE or Metric?

Old 03-15-2018, 09:59 PM
dont recall. info might be on ebay

Old 03-16-2018, 10:38 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,457 Likes on 2,151 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
As long as there is a fine screen mesh in that and not just the hex cut metal. The atomized oil vapor needs to collide with obstructions (or simply sit in the can for long enough) to "condensate" and turn back into droplets.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by saywat?
dont recall. info might be on ebay
Nothing in the ads about it but not a huge concern either. Ordered one of these although it does not have the printing on it. I do like the fact that it has the dipstick to allow you to check the amount of oil in it without having to take the bottom off. Right now thinking a length of vacuum hose or maybe a length of brake line and something to siphon with to remove the oil would work.

I have decided after working on the lower plenum some that leaving the blocking plate in place makes sense, although I do wish that area was a bit smoother for air flow. I removed the PCV port tube from the front, threaded the hole and put an Allen plug in place. I am still doing some porting work but hope to have that completed this week too.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:03 PM
Actually they company does have a website with more info. Sae I believe when I was on it. Try google it

Old 03-23-2018, 01:58 PM
Okay - just received the catch can. Pretty decent machining on it, totally black with no lettering is what I got and expected. There is a double punched hole type of debris filter but nothing else. I cured this with a package of Chore Boy copper mesh, box comes with two wads of mesh but only one is needed. That will break up the oil mist and it will not rust from any moisture. This will fit darn near anywhere you want it to, it's only a couple of inches longer than an oil filter and about the same diameter. I would say that it needs to be mounted as close to vertically as you can to allow full use of the oil catch area. There is a convenient threaded dipstick to allow you to check the oil level - even has notches in it. The hole is big enough that a small piece of brake tubing could be used to extract the oil without having to remove the cup if you wanted. I paid $22.95 for this, the Chore Boy pads were $3.00 at the grocery store. Although it comes with a variety of different sized hose fittings, I am going with AN fittings and those will run me about $12 for the pair. Lastly, this can be used as a vented can or a non-vented arrangement. For the vented, it comes with a small air filter that mounts to the top of the can.
Overall, I am pleased with this item.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:00 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,457 Likes on 2,151 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I'm a little jealous that these low end cans come with a dipstick when my baffled mishimoto one didn't...

Old 03-23-2018, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by chasracer
Okay - just received the catch can. Pretty decent machining on it, totally black with no lettering is what I got and expected. There is a double punched hole type of debris filter but nothing else. I cured this with a package of Chore Boy copper mesh, box comes with two wads of mesh but only one is needed. That will break up the oil mist and it will not rust from any moisture. This will fit darn near anywhere you want it to, it's only a couple of inches longer than an oil filter and about the same diameter. I would say that it needs to be mounted as close to vertically as you can to allow full use of the oil catch area. There is a convenient threaded dipstick to allow you to check the oil level - even has notches in it. The hole is big enough that a small piece of brake tubing could be used to extract the oil without having to remove the cup if you wanted. I paid $22.95 for this, the Chore Boy pads were $3.00 at the grocery store. Although it comes with a variety of different sized hose fittings, I am going with AN fittings and those will run me about $12 for the pair. Lastly, this can be used as a vented can or a non-vented arrangement. For the vented, it comes with a small air filter that mounts to the top of the can.
Overall, I am pleased with this item.
I'm in for some pictures if you feel like uploading. The generic ones on eBay don't tell me a whole lot. I'd love to see your setup with it.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:19 PM
when i went on their site i saw they have a v3 version which looks like it has multiple points on the top of the can for the bracket to be mounted instead of just being mounted one way.

and i just discoverd theres a ver 3.3 that wasnt on their site that has 2 inlets and 1 out perfect for the g37. i may look into this sucka

Old 03-25-2018, 07:48 PM
Update. Made a spontaneous decision to go to Atlanta for Import Alliance Friday at 10pm, and prettu much put 1000 miles of oil through the can. I would say it was a hard 4-500 miles since the group I was rolling with made a 200 mile trip in under 2 hours. Didn't catch as much oil as I thought, or maybe my PCV is functioning better than I thought. Either way it's oil that wasn't sucked through the intake.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:21 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
200 under 2 hours? That's not rolling that's flying low.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Good to hear. Thanks for sharing yet again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY : eBay Catch Can Mod *PIC HEAVY*