Hose broken - G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Hose broken

Old 11-08-2018, 10:51 AM
G35X Sedan
Hose broken

Car is 2008 G35X Sedan. 105K miles.
I was driving and the temperature on the car went really high so I'm assuming my coolant leaked. Then all of a sudden, heard a burst sound and smoke started coming out of the engine.
When I looked under the hood, I saw that one of the hose was broken. I don't know what this hose is but I see some liquid all over the area which I think is the coolant. Color was brown (assuming from rust).
Anybody know what this hose is? It was connecting into the car (maybe connecting into the AC)?
This is on the left side of the engine. I saw the same type of hose on the right side of the engine as well. Has a small number "2" written on hose that broke. The right side hose has a number "7".
Can anyone help?
Thanks

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2.pdf (111.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: pdf
1.pdf (174.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 11-08-2018, 11:50 AM
Can't say for sure about the '08s but that looks a lot like the coolant bleed valve on the heater hose for the 1st generation cars. They're known to crack just like that.
Good time to replace that (z1 has a metal version), flush out all the rusty old coolant with water, and then change your thermostat and coolant temp sensor before refilling with 50/50 coolant/DI water mixture. Hopefully the rusty coolant hasn't damaged your water pump.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator
With the number being back there, it doesn't make me think of coolant bleed location. Has a "heater core hose" feel to it.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:21 PM
G35X Sedan
Thanks for the input guys. I guess I should have it towed to a mechanic.
I'm hoping it doesn't cost me a fortune to fix.....
Was thinking of selling the car couple of months back but decided to keep it hoping I can drive it for another 2 years without a problem....so much for that....haha

Old 11-08-2018, 06:01 PM
$10 hose from NAPA, a pair of pliers to clip/unclip it, 5 minutes, plus a coolant flush should be all you need... but if you want the cooling system to continue working for years to come you should bolt on a new thermostat ($20, 5 minutes) while the coolant is all emptied out.

You can easily do all of this yourself in probably 2-3 hours if this is your first time. Use a Lilse-style funnel to bleed the cooling system (~30 on amazon) and it's not a huge pain in the butt.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:53 PM
G35X Sedan
You make it sound so simple...haha.
I took some more photos and it seems like its missing some kind of valve or cap. I took the photo of the same looking hose on the right side of the engine and that one has a cap on it.
I'm assuming the broken one had one too and maybe it completely ripped off.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:46 PM
Thermostat prolly failed to open. Pump built pressure in the system and it blew out at the weakest point.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:04 PM
Your bleeder valve broke - the plastic valve exposed to the repeated heat cycles of the coolant has either degraded over time or your thermostat is stuck closed. Both easy cheap fixes, just do them both!

https://www.z1motorsports.com/exhaus...rt-p-7634.html
That's the valve. You need to use pliers to move those metal clips, pull out the old broken bits, and pop the new valve on making sure the opening is facing straight up. I would do both sides if I were you since the right side valve is going to break soon too.

For the thermostat, make sure all the coolant is out of the car (remove drain screw on bottom of radiator w/ bucket underneath), then find the large hose going from the bottom of the radiator to the engine. That's the lower radiator hose. Take off the end of the hose attached to the engine.The assembly the hose attaches to is the thermostat. Unbolt that, put the new one on, and put the hoses and clips back on as you found them.

Then you gotta bleed the cooling system with the lilse funnel and 50/50 DI water/coolant mix, make sure the heat blows hot at idle, and then you're done. Top off the radiator every couple of days for awhile just to make sure everything went well.

I'm going to guess $350 at a mechanic, plus a tow?

Last edited by cswlightning; 11-09-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:15 AM
G35X Sedan
I saw a flush kit that had a part that looked exactly like it so I bought and connected it.
However, something is leaking from the car so I brought it to a mechanic. It was either the coolant or the transmission fluid. It was brownish color.
Least I was able to drive it to the shop after fixing the broken hose so I saved myself the tow money.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:10 PM
Awesome, good job! However I can guarantee the fitting you used wasn't designed to be used in a cooling system with repeated extreme temperature cycles and was probably designed as inexpensively as possible given its intended application. Might want to buy an actual coolant bleed valve and keep it in the glovebox just in case.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:08 PM
G35X Sedan
^ Didn't think about that. I guess I will purchase the right part and exchange it.
Do you know if anything (I'm assuming thats where the coolant flows through) will leak out if I take it out to exchange it?
Also, mechanic texted me and said the transmission fluid is mixed with the coolant. Still waiting on details of exactly what the problem is.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:45 PM
You assume correctly, that hose sends hot coolant to your heater core where it gets used in the car's HVAC system to keep you warm, and the matching hose on the other side is exiting the heater core going back into the cooling system. If you take it off it'll leak coolant and then you'll have to bleed (not flush) the system again to get the air you introduced out.

If I'm reading this right your car overheated, and the additional pressure and heat caused the valve to blow which is when you turned the car off. I'm assuming you didn't have any fluid leaks before, so it sounds like your overheat also caused some internal cracking in your radiator which is causing the transmission fluid (which is cooled inside the radiator) to mix with coolant. I don't know why it would be going on the ground though, I'd love to know exactly where it's leaking from.

You'll definitely want to flush and refill your transmission, coolant getting in there is bad news if you keep driving on it.

This sounds like a very good time for a full cooling system refresh: radiator, upper/lower rad hoses, thermostat, coolant temp sensor.. After all that everything in the cooling system but the water pump (which doesn't generally fail on VQs) is brand new.

Last edited by cswlightning; 11-12-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:42 AM
G35X Sedan
Spoke to the mechanic. He said the radiator broke and all these fluids mixed together. He said I need to replace the radiator, but also need a really good flush, but he doesn't have the flush system to do it.
Even if he replaces the radiator, the transmission fluid and coolant got into places they shouldn't have so there's no point unless I get a good flush too.
Other thing he said is that, even if I get a good flush and replace the radiator, the fluids already damaged the hoses (he said the fluids make the hoses soft and he doesn't know how long this has been going on).
He suggested I just get rid of the car.
What do you think? Worth it to find some place to do a good flush and replace the radiator or just get rid of the car?
I went to a dealer about 4 months back and they were only offer me $3,500 for trade in. I thought it was too little so I decided to keep it hoping to drive it for another 2-3 years without a problem. Now this happens....

Old 11-13-2018, 01:21 PM
Replace the radiator and get the coolant and transmission fluid flushed out. There are YouTube videos that go over the entire process if he tries to charge you $600. Have the guy doing the flush take a look at your old transmission fluid and have him rate the condition on a scale of 1-10. If the coolant was in there for long enough to cause damage the fluid would be black (from burned clutches) and have a horrible sickly sweet smell, or it would be some disgusting slurry.

If your old transmission fluid looked okay, no need to worry, you've avoided the damage. That said, going another 3 years with zero maintenance on a 10 year old car might not be realistic.
If it was disgusting, the transmission has been damaged, and I would try to sell it ASAP without driving it too much...

A average/good condition 100k mile '08 G35x sells in my area for around $7000 private party... trade-ins are a total ripoff.

Last edited by cswlightning; 11-13-2018 at 01:28 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to cswlightning For This Useful Post:
jjfreak (11-14-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 01:33 PM
G35X Sedan
^FYI, there was a leak before all this happened. It was leaking brownish color so I have no idea if that was the coolant or the transmission fluid or both.
The mechanic called me back and said, luckily, my transmission fluid system was not compromised so I dont need to flush that out. However, there is oil in my cooling system so I need a good flush on that and then replace it with a new radiator.
I called one shop and they said they can replace my radiator for $450. Called another and they were charging $650.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hose broken

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: