Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Crawford Cast + Unichip Dyno

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 09:06 PM
Super G-nius
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crawford Cast + Unichip Dyno

Finally got the new plenum and Unichip installed today. Aside from bringing it home from the shop, I haven't had a chance to drive it yet. So, I can't remark on whether I really feel a difference.

They forgot to run a dyno immediately after installing the plenum! But, since there will be several G's running the Dyno this Saturday, I might be able to stop by and have them do a run with the Unichip disabled. If so, I'll post so everyone can see the difference of the individual mods.

Final note, the baseline run is with an Injen CAI that was previously installed.

2003 G35c 5AT w/Injen CAI, Crawford cast plenum, and Unichip ECU

Last edited by gumbee; 04-25-2005 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:17 PM
It's not the critic......
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
gumbee.......whats the diff. in the 2 runs? just the time, temp and humidity? and 13 hp gain!

Old 03-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Super G-nius
Originally Posted by shooter
gumbee.......whats the diff. in the 2 runs? just the time, temp and humidity? and 13 hp gain!
1) Stock + Injen CAI
2) + Crawford Cast Plenum + Unichip ECU

Old 03-17-2005, 09:47 PM
It's not the critic......
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ah.......i get it now, got confused when you said they forgot to run the dyno after the plenum install.

Old 03-17-2005, 09:56 PM
Super G-nius
Ideally, I wanted 3 runs. That way I could determine exactly how each mod made an improvement. Hopefully I be able to get down there on Saturday with the rest of the G's (depends on when the new baby comes).

Old 03-18-2005, 12:26 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Can you elaborate on the Unichip for the G? I'm not familiar with it's application on these cars. Is it a plug and play, complete reprogram, etc?

Old 03-18-2005, 06:56 AM
Exactly what I expected to see... The Crawford Plenum is giving you the gains and the Unichip doesn't appear to be doing squat!

The Unichip website claims that their chip will yield 5-9% gains and it says that the chip provides an increase at all rpm.
(click Mr. Happy Face and scroll down for their quote... ) This 5-9% gain at peak alone would give you the 13rwhp increase you're seeing. We all know that the Crawford Plenum gives good gains by itself, so what's the Unichip doing for you???

Crawford Plenum - 1
Unichip - 0

Several other things to consider.
1. The SAE correction factors are .99 and .98 so that compensates for the ~11 degree temp difference between pulls.
2. All of the gains are really in the upper rpm range which is EXACTLY where Crawford claims they'll be with their plenum.
3. You are a good man for getting the Unichip installed and testing it for the rest of us. Sounds like a mod that I called right (with a little help of course ) a few months back.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to post this data. If you're ever in Central Florida, I owe you lunch!

Old 03-18-2005, 09:22 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Neff,

Do you attempt to pay everyone back with beer and food?

You are a very, very smart man!

haha.

Oh, and for the record, my Unichip is on the way.... Oh the irony.....

Old 03-18-2005, 12:52 PM
Super G-nius
Originally Posted by neffster
Exactly what I expected to see... The Crawford Plenum is giving you the gains and the Unichip doesn't appear to be doing squat!
I think you're jumping the gun a bit here. Although this is still a definite possibility, until I can run the Dyno with the Crawford alone it is impossible to tell where the improvements are coming from.

Last edited by gumbee; 03-18-2005 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:05 PM
Not impossible when you do a search on my350z.com and compare your gains to the Crawford Plenum dynos over there. I've been around for a while now and hang out on both boards. I've seen 4 or more dynos of the Crawford Plenum alone. They look almost identical to the one you posted. Only difference is the final hp/tq depending on the type of dyno.

I still owe you lunch, and you're welcome to do more dynos to prove my theory one way or the other. Heck, even if you gained 5rwhp at redline with the Unichip, that doesn't make it worth $800+ IMO and we both know that your car is making gains with the plenum.

Old 03-18-2005, 01:33 PM
Super G-nius
Heck, even if you gained 5rwhp at redline with the Unichip, that doesn't make it worth $800+ IMO and we both know that your car is making gains with the plenum.
I definitely agree that the price : performance ratio makes the Crawford plenum a *much* better buy!!!!

Oh, and per your suggestion, Crawford cats in the next month or so.

Old 03-18-2005, 01:40 PM
Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
2. All of the gains are really in the upper rpm range which is EXACTLY where Crawford claims they'll be with their plenum.

The majority of the horsepower gains are in the upper RPM band. However, the torque gains are consistent and pretty much even throughout the band.

A 10 lb-ft torque gain throughout the band will give more horsepower in the higher rpms, because horsepower is torque multiplied by RPMs and divided by 5252, in other words directly related.

So, the consistent torque gains throughout the band are why people are saying they can feel the Crawford plenum giving them a strong low RPM boost. Or, at least that is my opinion.

Dave

Old 03-18-2005, 01:59 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by gumbee
I definitely agree that the price : performance ratio makes the Crawford plenum a *much* better buy!!!!

Oh, and per your suggestion, Crawford cats in the next month or so.

And, the Crawford plenum is as tunable as the Unichip to the end user!

Old 03-18-2005, 02:08 PM
Super G-nius
Originally Posted by KPierson
And, the Crawford plenum is as tunable as the Unichip to the end user!
Aren't all ECU upgrades "as tunable as the Unichip to the end user!". For me, the difference between the UniChip and the TS, is a matter of driving down the street to my local shop vs. driving 6 hours to LA.

It sure would be nice if there was an end user interface like that of the Power Commander for bikes, where the end user could truly make their own changes.

Old 03-18-2005, 05:08 PM
Banned
With the Split Second box and with the Greddy Emanage you can use a laptop to make changes. The Procharger is supplied with a user changable FMU, also.

The Greddy and the Split Second boxes are both considerably cheaper then the Unichip, but both lack the ability to increase timing. However, an increase in timing on our high compression motors isn't a very good idea.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Crawford Cast + Unichip Dyno