Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

AFTER putting AAM PLENUM SPACER(PROBLEM!!!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 11:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AFTER putting AAM PLENUM SPACER(PROBLEM!!!)

I just installed AAM spaver, but when I turn my car on, the idle was high at first to warm up, and it dropped low and car start to shake(like rumble). The ignition was fighting to stay on, and low RMP tries to turn the car off. after reset, it does it again.Well, I took it for drive and after about 3mile, it started to make sound. I don't know if it was from the front or exhaust(somehow, I hear from the exhaust). The sound is like phart through small hole, like Pi~~~sh~~~~~~~~. wierd-.-;
I don't know what i have done wrong. also, they supplied 3 long bolt for the middle, and 6short ones I don't know where to use(maybe for strutbar on 350Z). The stock bolt on plenum was short in my opinion after putting the spacer.
I think I am going to take it out, and stay away from the danger.-.-;;
Anyone experienced this before?

Old 03-18-2005, 11:32 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds to me like the plenum isn't properly tightened and therefore isn't sealed. That high pitched sound you're hearing is air going through a small hole somewhere around the exterior of the plenum. End result, you lose manifold pressure and the car shuts itself down. Read all the instructions very carefully! I'd take the spacer off, check all the gaskets and make sure their in place, then put the spacer back on making sure all the bolts are tight an in at the proper points. I had a similar problem with my Kinetix Plenum when I accidentally torqued one of the bolts at the front of the plenum a little too much and it snapped off. In the mean time when I was getting a replacement bolt it would drive fine but in idle you'd hear that high pitched sound and the engine would sputter and die. Replaced the bolt; now no problems.

Old 03-19-2005, 12:59 AM
Old 03-19-2005, 10:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
yes you need to order longer bolts they were a pain to find I ordered them online, read that whole thread

Old 03-21-2005, 10:45 AM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Holy Schneikies!!!

That was a massively painful read !

Sorry to hear of your troubles, Derek. Good luck on the install.

Are you sure you don't want to sell the AAM spacer and acquire a Motordyne unit? Easy install, and all of the hardware is included...... (sorry, had to rub it in... )

Old 03-21-2005, 10:46 AM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What was the deal with the VIN #'s anyway? Did you have to include them w/ your order to receive the item?

Old 03-21-2005, 05:19 PM
GSQUAD
^they needed them since they were ordering tons of plenum gaskets from nissan. I just got the vin off of some car on ebay lol

Trending Topics

Old 03-22-2005, 12:36 AM
I finally took off my spacer. I bought new bolt, but didn't seems to work out. I just turned it back to stock plenum w/K&N short ram.

Old 03-22-2005, 02:37 AM
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
What was the deal with the VIN #'s anyway? Did you have to include them w/ your order to receive the item?
I was one of the last people to get in on the group buy, I received my spacer last week .They had trouble getting gaskets through nissan in a mass order so whoever sent in their VIN # would get the gasket faster because it was a cutomer order. I never sent in my VIN. I haven't installed it yet so I haven't had any trouble (yet ). I just wanted to make sure I had all the right bolts before I did anything . I will be installing later this week.

Old 03-22-2005, 02:38 AM
Originally Posted by Wanchu83
I finally took off my spacer. I bought new bolt, but didn't seems to work out. I just turned it back to stock plenum w/K&N short ram.
What problems where you having?

Old 03-23-2005, 03:10 AM
I used some of old bolt on the back side of the plenum, and I overtorqued( I guess) and there was some residue comes off from the bottom plenum.(so little bit of the screw looking hole is now bold). I was afraid when I turn it into stock and tightend too hard, it will do that again and then I am in deep trouble(ex. bolt just keep on spining) Well, that didn't happen(Thank god). I also used longer bolt but just seems not working. I have no idea why..
Derek173, make sure you torque it right on each bolt. and don't use old bolt, they are going to be too short to use it. Measure the length of the bolt you need and custom order it or something. I might try to do it. >.<;

Old 03-23-2005, 04:46 AM
Why custom order bolts? If you had problems with anything in the kit I would contact AAM. They should be able to correct any mistakes with incorrect parts or whatever. They should provide you with everything you need to do the install properly.

Also, why didn't you order "our" plenum spacer from Hydrazine? Traitor! Hehe j/k

Old 03-24-2005, 12:30 AM
hehe I should have ordered from you^^
Well, I got a good price from local person who bought 2kinds of plenum, so I got the one he doesn't use. I should call the AAM and make them send me all the bolts. since they screwed up my bottom plenum..T.T