Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

NISSAN oil filter??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NISSAN oil filter??

Hey guys,

Normally I take the car to the dealer to have it serviced (3 years FREE oil changes!). However since getting my new wheels...I dont trust the technicians driving and scuffing up my nice labia's and so I decided to do my own oil change. Instead of driving 30 minutes out of the way to the nearest Infiniti Dealer, I drove to the much closer Nissan Dealer and asked for a 2004 Nissan 350Z oil filter. It is a genuine Nissan part - part No. 15208-65F00 and was about $6.50 total. Application chart on the side of the filter box indicates the filter WILL fit - Infiniti G35 - Model V35 - Engine VQ35DE...has anyone used this filter on a G before?? I am curious if Infiniti's use their own filter's or use this exact (Nissan filter??). Also if for some reason Infinti's use their own 'Infiniti Genuine parts' will this cause any problems if I later return to the dealer as far as the warranty since its NOT an Infiniti Filter?? (yes I know I dont need to worry about warranty unless this part/piece is cause of the problem as proven by the dealer!!). I also want to run Mobil 1 synthetic, what are peoples thoughts on synthetic??

Filter seems veeery small for a V6 engine.....

Old 04-08-2005, 04:04 PM
I bought my filter @ everything G35 and the part number you listed is correct. It also say it fits the QR25DE as well. I wonder if it would be cheaper if we say we want the filter for the Sentra SE-R instead since it's basically the same filter. I got mine for a little under $5. I agree w/ you, the filter is TINY. It's much smaller than my Integra filter. Just doesn't look right to me.

Old 04-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm sorry... couldn't help but laugh... labia? hahah... reminds me of... well never mind ]

as for oil filters... sure it's small but you know they say size isn't everything (well... we all know what kind of people say that!)

Old 04-08-2005, 04:37 PM
cool, so this filter should work then...now im real curious to see if Infiniti has its own filters or if it use's 'Nissan' filters...all those debadging to Nissan/skyline's should perhaps update their filters to 'nissan' filters also!!

gotta love the labia!! Nothing like a nice clean, polished labia!!

Old 04-08-2005, 04:51 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
The filter you bought will fit, but I would use the longer filter (15208-9E000). It's built a lot better (uses metal end caps instead of cardboard) and has larger capacity. You can also get that filter from Nissan or online:

http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...roducts_id=262

Or you could go with the Mobil 1 or Purolator filters as well. Very well made filters.

Here's a copy of a report from a Maxima website about good filters/oil to use for the VQ:
---------------------------------------------
Nissan OEM 15208-9E000 (metal cap)
Nissan OEM 15208-65F00 (cardboard...AVOID)

I use the M1-110 filter over the M1-108 direct replacement for its larger size. We can debate size and filtration and back pressure...it boils down to personal preference. Forget the cost...just get a good filter.

I would recommend, based on what I've read, to not switch to synthetic until after 10,000 miles. I switched to synthetic (Mobil 5W-30 after my first oil change @ 3000 mi) submitted it for analysis and evrything looks good. to be safe, just stick to dino until 10,000 miles.

Vinh

"Recommended oils for all Maxima engines, ranked in order of preference based upon my own observations:
Dino and "Blend" oils:

Castrol GTX 5W/30
Chevron Supreme 5W/30
Mobil 1 Drive Clean 5W/30
Mobil 1 Drive Clean Plus 5W/30
Pennzoil PureBase 5W/30
ULX-110 5W/30

Drain Interval: Up to 5k

Synthetic oil:

Amsoil TSO Series 2000 0W/30 Synthetic
Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W/30
Amsoil ASF 5W/30 Synthetic
Redline 5W/30

Drain interval: Up to 10k with oil filter change halfway through chosen interval (i.e. 8k drain interval -> 4k oil filter change)

NOTE: For hot climates (i.e. south), 10W/30 can be substituted and in colder climates (i.e. north), 0W/30 can be substituted.

Oils to stay away from IF going over 3,000 mile intervals:
Any Valvoline Oil (consistent sub-par analysis results, all tend to shear down real quickly; additive packages are inferior to other brands)

Castrol Syntec Blend Castrol Syntec Full Synthetic Oil [NOT GTX] (consistent so-so to sup-part analyses results and shady marketing practices)

Royal Purple Oil (thins in viscosity relatively quickly and too expensive considering there are other synthetic oils that do not thin as fast that are less expensive)

NOTE: These oils will protect fine up to 3,000 miles, they just don't represent a good value based upon their additive package and/or their oil analysis reports for Maxima-specific engines. It does not mean they "suck".

Recommended Oil Filters for VQ engines, ranked in order of preference based upon my own observations:
Mobil 1 M1-105 (fits VQ35DE only)

Nissan OEM 15208-9E000 ONLY (for all VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines)

Mobil 1 M1-110 (fits both VQ engines, but bypass valve isn't as good as M1-105 filter)

Amsoil SDF-20 (fits both VQ engines)

Oil Filters to avoid:
Nissan OEM 15208-65F00 (specified for VQ35DE by Nissan dealer; refuse to purchase this filter as it has cardboard endcaps like low quality Fram filters; insist on the dealer using the 15208-9E000 oil filter as it has a better overall construction quality)

STP S6941 (Production change in mid-2003 to Mexico has created inferior quality; Some fitment issues on VQ35DE engines, so only VQ30DE engines should use this one)

Bosch 3323 (Production change in mid-2003 to Mexico has created inferior quality; for all VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines)

Any SuperTech filter (Due to production change in mid-2003 to Mexico that has resulted in inferior quality)

Any filter made by Fram (consistently poor construction quality)

Amsoil SDF-13 (pricier than SDF-20 and smaller)

Mobil 1 M1-108 (pricier than M1-110 and smaller)

Old 04-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by G35fromPA
The filter you bought will fit, but I would use the longer filter (15208-9E000). It's built a lot better (uses metal end caps instead of cardboard) and has larger capacity. You can also get that filter from Nissan or online:

Or you could go with the Mobil 1 or Purolator filters as well. Very well made filters.

Recommended Oil Filters for VQ engines, ranked in order of preference based upon my own observations:

Mobil 1 M1-110 (fits both VQ engines, but bypass valve isn't as good as M1-105 filter)

Oil Filters to avoid:
Nissan OEM 15208-65F00 (specified for VQ35DE by Nissan dealer; refuse to purchase this filter as it has cardboard endcaps like low quality Fram filters; insist on the dealer using the 15208-9E000 oil filter as it has a better overall construction quality)
Based on this I will return this filter and go for the Mobil 1!! Thanks buddy...too bad i didnt know this b4 i went to the dealership...Id order online...but I wanted to change the oil this weekend as im over 3k by about 100 miles now... im at 11130 miles...so i should be good to switch to synthetic!!

Old 04-08-2005, 11:22 PM
There are no infiniti parts. All parts you get at any nissan dealer will be the same ones going to the infiniti dealer. All parts come in a nissan box.

The 9E and the 65 are exactly the same, except the 9E is longer. The can on each filter is metal, the cardboard you see looking into the filter is part of the filter. The only difference is that the 65 is used in places where clearence is an issue. Like on the altima/maxima/sentra SER where its right next to the passanger side wheel. You guys dont trust me? Ill cut one apart for you guys, the 65 is all metal.

There are only 4 different oil filters that nissan makes. One is the "55" that is all blue. The other is the "53J" that is white with blue writing, this is used on the SR20 motors made for vehicles in japan and the G20, the sentra 2.0's dont use this oil filter. The other two filters are the "9E" and the "65", as said above the only difference is length.

Old 04-09-2005, 12:21 AM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Since there are no clearance issues on the G35, why did Infiniti choose to go with the 65 as opposed to the 9E? I've always wondered.

Old 04-09-2005, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by G35Mechanic
The 9E and the 65 are exactly the same, except the 9E is longer. The can on each filter is metal, the cardboard you see looking into the filter is part of the filter. The only difference is that the 65 is used in places where clearence is an issue. Like on the altima/maxima/sentra SER where its right next to the passanger side wheel. You guys dont trust me? Ill cut one apart for you guys, the 65 is all metal.
Actually, it would be great to see the two side by side. Was that note outdated - i.e. has Nissan changed the construction of the 65? From what I've read (as above), it's the endcaps that are cardboard, not the can. The filter I would expect to be some sort of paper-based material, but not the end-caps.

Old 04-09-2005, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by G35fromPA

http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...roducts_id=262

Here's a copy of a report from a Maxima website about good filters/oil to use for the VQ:
---------------------------------------------
Nissan OEM 15208-9E000 (metal cap)
Nissan OEM 15208-65F00 (cardboard...AVOID)

I use the M1-110 filter over the M1-108 direct replacement for its larger size. We can debate size and filtration and back pressure...it boils down to personal preference. Forget the cost...just get a good filter.

I would recommend, based on what I've read, to not switch to synthetic until after 10,000 miles. I switched to synthetic (Mobil 5W-30 after my first oil change @ 3000 mi) submitted it for analysis and evrything looks good. to be safe, just stick to dino until 10,000 miles.

Vinh

"Recommended oils for all Maxima engines, ranked in order of preference based upon my own observations:
Dino and "Blend" oils:

Castrol GTX 5W/30
Chevron Supreme 5W/30
Mobil 1 Drive Clean 5W/30
Mobil 1 Drive Clean Plus 5W/30
Pennzoil PureBase 5W/30
ULX-110 5W/30

Drain Interval: Up to 5k

Synthetic oil:

Amsoil TSO Series 2000 0W/30 Synthetic
Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W/30
Amsoil ASF 5W/30 Synthetic
Redline 5W/30

Drain interval: Up to 10k with oil filter change halfway through chosen interval (i.e. 8k drain interval -> 4k oil filter change)

NOTE: For hot climates (i.e. south), 10W/30 can be substituted and in colder climates (i.e. north), 0W/30 can be substituted.

Oils to stay away from IF going over 3,000 mile intervals:
Any Valvoline Oil (consistent sub-par analysis results, all tend to shear down real quickly; additive packages are inferior to other brands)

Castrol Syntec Blend Castrol Syntec Full Synthetic Oil [NOT GTX] (consistent so-so to sup-part analyses results and shady marketing practices)

Royal Purple Oil (thins in viscosity relatively quickly and too expensive considering there are other synthetic oils that do not thin as fast that are less expensive)

NOTE: These oils will protect fine up to 3,000 miles, they just don't represent a good value based upon their additive package and/or their oil analysis reports for Maxima-specific engines. It does not mean they "suck".

Oil Filters to avoid:

STP S6941 (Production change in mid-2003 to Mexico has created inferior quality; Some fitment issues on VQ35DE engines, so only VQ30DE engines should use this one)

Bosch 3323 (Production change in mid-2003 to Mexico has created inferior quality; for all VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines)

Any SuperTech filter (Due to production change in mid-2003 to Mexico that has resulted in inferior quality)

Any filter made by Fram (consistently poor construction quality)

Amsoil SDF-13 (pricier than SDF-20 and smaller)

Mobil 1 M1-108 (pricier than M1-110 and smaller)
Hmmm I don't see Baldwin filters on the list. They have the 3 different sizes for the VQ. I thought they were highly recommended. I believe I read the recommendation on "Bob's the oil guy" site. But without spending the time on the forum, looking for the info, I'm going by memory ....... and we know how good that is some days

I use them specifically on the truck, all the time, and are the filters of choice on "The Diesel Page" forum

I'm just curious to what your opinion is on Baldwin filters for the VQ.

Old 04-09-2005, 11:19 AM
I've been using this http://ecat.arvinmeritor.com/smartlink/?partnum=PL14610

It seems to be doing the job. My oil analysis was good.

Attached Thumbnails NISSAN oil filter??-g35oil1.jpg  
Old 04-09-2005, 11:56 PM
Either or...it dosent matter which you use. They are both the same in construction, one is just longer than the other. Maybe its cheaper to produce the 65? I really dont know why they use the 65 when there really is no apparent clearence issue. All im gonna say about it is: Those really smart guys in japan get paid a lot of money to decide which filter to use.

The new 5.6L V8 also uses the 65 when there is no real clearence issue. The clearence issue is what I was told for the smaller filter on the new altimas/maximas. As far as infiniti's go, the ones that use the 65 are the g35's, fx 35's, I35, 2000+ QX4, and QX56. All of the 4.5L engine cars use the 9E oil filter as well as the I 30's, some of the G20's, and older QX4. It only seems logical that there is somthing special about the 65 that makes it better for the VQ35, but then the new M35 comes out and guess which filter it has...the 9E.

Use either or, it dosent matter.

Attached Thumbnails NISSAN oil filter??-nissanfilters-001.jpg   NISSAN oil filter??-nissanfilters-002.jpg   NISSAN oil filter??-nissanfilters-003.jpg  
Old 04-10-2005, 08:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It makes sense to me that NIssan will elliminate the 9E; that could yield some cost savings from not carrying 2 itmes for the same thing. Is it possible that the smaller filter may actually be better (less time to fill/build pressure)? Honda has reduced filter size as well; they also recommend filter changes every other oil change. That makes for filter change every 10 or 20K miles (normal vs extreme conditions, mineral oil). Are the concerns that people have about the filter not being able to keep up with the increased life of the synthetic oil somewhat exagurated?

Old 04-10-2005, 09:08 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I've been using the '9E' filter (instead of the '65F') on both the Sedan and Coupe. It was recommended by the techs at my dealership due to bigger size and no clearance issues.
It's still small, but bigger than what is listed for the G's VQ's.

Now with my M-45's VK, guess what filter is recommended?-- yes the '9E'.

I thought it was small for the VQ, but now it looks positively puny on the VK.
I can only assume that Nissan knows what is best, and that it is sufficient for both engines.
I'd like to use something more substantial, but so as not to upset any possible warranty claims, I'm not going any further 'afield'.

As far as long term oil and corresponding long term filter use: I personally would be a little leery about that. To my mind, Nissan may feel that altho the filters are small, they may not give much good filtration after normal 3-5k mile use. If I were going that route, I'd have to get my dealer's/Nissan's opinion.

My .02
C.

Old 04-10-2005, 09:27 AM
G35Mechanic - thanks a bunch for showing us the two filters. Really interesting. I wonder (if and) at what point they changed the construction of the 65, because I had seen that caution on several Nissan boards. Good to know that both will do the job, although I still think I'd use the 9E due to the larger capacity.

The following users liked this post:
aurum0duck (04-28-2014)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: NISSAN oil filter??