Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Spacer installation question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spacer installation question

I also sent this to Tony, but wanted to see if I get a response here in the mean while

Just got the spacer, will install tomorrow.

I had a hard time finding torque wrenches, most of them are heavy duty
wrenches startign at 10 ft lbs andhigher. I found one that is 0-800
inch lbs, with 50 inch increments, so I'm hoping this works. However
I'm a bit skeptical about the lower number inch readings as far as
accuracy is concerned...

1. What do you think, should I spend the big bucks (a digital
inch/lbs torque wrench is about 200$) or take my chances with this
kind of wrench. What wrench do you recommend?

I guess anything is better than nothing, but what would happen lets
say if I overshot it by another 50 inch lbs?

2. Am i measuring this on all 18 bolts, or the central 6 bolts?

Thanks

Also thanks again Tony, can't wait to install this baby

Old 04-25-2005, 11:24 PM
if you goto Sears, they have a beam style (cheap) torque wrench that reads 0-75 ft lbs... it cost me like $20

found the link for ya... Craftsman Beam Torque Wrench, 3/8 in. Drive

and when i did mine, i torqued all the bolts with it

Old 04-25-2005, 11:41 PM
is that accurate enough though, since the 5th ft is the very first number and Im not sure if the wrench shows accurate numbers till atleast 15ish number... Does that make any sense??

Old 04-26-2005, 12:49 AM
autozone and similar sell 'click' style inch lbs wrenches for 20 - 25 bucks

This is not a hard thing to do without a torque wrench IF you are very familar with doing this kinda work. If not - I stronly suggest getting a wrench.

Using a standard wrench which has it's first mark at 5Foot Lbs is not a problem, just be careful (i.e. pay attention)

Old 04-26-2005, 01:37 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Craftsman sells good torque wrenches for cheap...

Old 04-26-2005, 10:54 AM
Harbor Freight has one for under $20.

Torque Wrench

I bought one and it works well for this application

Old 04-26-2005, 02:03 PM
I used the cheap craftsman (beam) wrench also...worked perfect for me and less than $30.

Old 04-26-2005, 07:22 PM
Well, just got finished installing the spacer. The installation went pretty ineventful, great instructions, and good job Tony on packaging so well.. The whole thing took about 1 - 1.5 hours, and I was going WAY TOO SLOW just to be sure

I used a 0-800 inch torque wrench and stopped around 50 inch lbs. I will check again in 2 days to see if the bolts are still at that force.

After the install, took it for a ride. The sound (combined with my z-tube/k&N filter) is unbelievable. WOW, thats all I can say. Great grrrrrrr, just like what G35 should have sounded to begin with.

As far as butt dyno, I dunno, maybe feels that same, maybe a bit better, not sure. II was too pre-occupied with the nice sound of the car to get a good feel for the butt dyno I will take it for a longer ride later on and see.

I think I might have to do an ECU reset to get the full effects, any comments on that?

Old 04-26-2005, 11:44 PM
Do a ECU reset.

Can't hurt to see if any more gains come from it.

Old 04-28-2005, 06:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
A tip for those who are going to install the spacer. When you unbolt the upper plenum and tilt it back, you can get a piece of string and loop it through one of the bolt holes on the plenum. Then tie it to the middle of one of the bolt studs and stick it into the hole in rearward part of the hood. It will keep the plenum propped up while you install the plenum.

Old 04-28-2005, 11:32 PM
Ah, good tip pdiddy, i should have done that...

Well, 3 days later and all the bolts are still around 5-6 ft-lb. Maybe I'll check again in a month or somehting... Still liking the mod

Old 04-30-2005, 12:15 AM
I Love the sound!! I have a question maybe someone can help.

After I install the spacer and took a short drive, i noticed that there was a whistling sound when I turn off my engine. Is that normal? I don't know why i heard it this time but for some reason i turned of my car from the passenger side after letting it idle for a little bit.

Thanks in advance

Old 04-30-2005, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by P_Diddy
A tip for those who are going to install the spacer. When you unbolt the upper plenum and tilt it back, you can get a piece of string and loop it through one of the bolt holes on the plenum. Then tie it to the middle of one of the bolt studs and stick it into the hole in rearward part of the hood. It will keep the plenum propped up while you install the plenum.
Good idea, I was thinking about a way to keep the upper plenum propped up as well. THANKS!

QUESTION: anyone use or think that anti-sieze lube on those bolts would be a bad idea?

And finally, I'm thinking that the 40-61 in-lbs of torque may not be right. Looking at the Infiniti shop manual and a Stillen install guide this AM, they both reference 9-10 ft-lbs. That's about 2x what's being recommended.
Since I'm not sure I guess it still may be best to try the lighter torque, and then check them after a few good runs.

Dealing with aluminum, a correct (in-lbs) torque wrench should be used and not the "hand dyno." That's why I'll use the lower torque first, and will be able to verify after some vibration has a chance to test this out.

Spacer arrived yesterday will probably install tmmow.

Anyone???

Last edited by lgangi; 04-30-2005 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Added Sig
Old 05-02-2005, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by P_Diddy
P_Diddy: I am trying to visualize what you are describing here.....are you suggesting to tie a string between the hood and the upper plenum to hold the plenum up? I understand the point about attaching the string to the plenum but got confused when you mentioned sticking the string into a hole on the hood......

Old 05-02-2005, 01:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
On the underside of the hood, you will see that there is a hole towards the cabin-end of the hood. When you tie the string onto the middle of the stud, you have a "T" (string is the |, stud is the --). Slide the stud into the hood hole and center it so that it is supported by the sides of the hole. I hope that clarifies things a little.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Spacer installation question