Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Recipe for too lean Air/Fuel ratio?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 10:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Recipe for too lean Air/Fuel ratio?

I have all of these parts ready to install and have just been waiting to get a few more miles on the car. But after reading about how some of these mods will result in a lean condition (when combined), I'm left wondering if my combo will result in a dangerously lean condition as well.

Parts are: G-tube ( ) and hi-flow panel filter, MREV, Headers, Cats, Y-pipe and (the main difference among others) the OEM exhaust rear section with a reducer flange between it and the Y-pipe.

My hope is that the OEM rear section, having pretty good flow, will also keep just enough back-pressure to reduce low/mid-range TQ losses from the other breathing mods.

So what do you think? Will this combo have me running too lean?

The closest possible dyno is perhaps 4-6 hours away, so getting it tuned that way is pretty much out of the question. I do have a local shop that could probably use the UTEC to tune it, but that's a bit more intense than I planned to go. Likewise, I don't want it tuned for maximum power but would rather realize the benefit of the new parts while still remaining safe for daily driving... ...especially during our 100+ degree months.

Is it likely going to run like **** without addressing the lean condition or, worst yet, will I be riding around in a ticking time-bomb?

The last thing I want to do is turn this into a fickle, poorly-running performance car. Been there...

Old 12-29-2005, 11:10 AM
Anybody?

Old 12-29-2005, 11:21 AM
What type of FI are you running with those bolt ons? Kind of loss track after you listed your bolt on mods

Old 12-29-2005, 11:40 AM
Obsessive Owner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im pretty sure he is running no FI at all. He is asking about just the bolt ons. I would be very interested to know this as well since I installed the MREV and will be installing headers and high flow cats, along with G tube and K&N filter. Anyone know how lean this will be?

Old 12-29-2005, 01:55 PM
Right on, staying NA. And this will be the extent of my modifications.

On a previous car a fuel-pressure riser/regulator was a common mod to increase fuel as needed. This was on a turbo so the fuel-pressure increase may have been dictated by reaching/exceeding certain boost levels.

But couldn't something similar be used in order to address a slightly lean situation that results from these simple bolt-ons? And TS ECU flash seems a bit inconvenient for such small, NA improvements and something like the UTEC just seems way over the top for such minor mods. There has to be an easier solution that won't result in an excessively rich condition either.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:39 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
u'll be running a little lean in higher RPMs.. i dont have a A&F graph with me but that is with mREV alone

Old 12-30-2005, 04:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't really heard anybody that is running too lean to the point that its actually given them problems yet. If you know can you tell me, ill be very interested in reading their thread and what kinda problems they have. Also im pretty sure there are quite a few ppl that has installed the mods or similiar mods to what you have listed without a reflash and has had no problems. I think if you correct your A/F it'll just give you more power. Im not saying running lean is good for the engine or anything, Im sure given a choice not running lean would be better, but i just haven't heard anybody complain about any problems because of running too lean. ( atleast in our cars or 350z for that matter)