Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

UpRev Cipher: anybody try theirs yet?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this ECU going nuts? It cut the fuel at ~3475 RPM during perfect AFR (for me) while at same time it kept timing (no knock?). And why did cams angles separated?

Old 04-16-2006, 12:43 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
I can't tell you how many times I've seen this crap on the dyno or street.

The simplest way to say it is "Our ECU's suck."

People talk about some engines being factory freaks, but all of our ECU's are certifiable fatory freaks. Your data is so typical. It buged me for a while but there is nothing that can be done about it untill a comprehensive engine management system comes out.

I have no idea why it does that garbage. Including the big step shift at ~3500.

I needed a Greddy EU on my sedan to dial some of it out.

Not only its not good for performance, running lean like that can't be good for the engine.

One thing you can probably take from it is that each step shift in the RPM spectrum represents a different level or phase of a continually shifting fuel map.

If that truely is the case, it shows poor continuity in the maps. And I won't even start on the cam angle.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 04-16-2006 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:38 AM
MechEE, please post chart or your injectors (INJ PULSE-B1 & B2) at WOT from 2K to 5K RPM. I wonder if ’06 ECU is also trimming pulse or trying to have stoic. AFR while in open loop. Thanks

Old 05-02-2006, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by MechEE
I've written a RoadDyno application used by the WRX crowd that I'll soon be expanding to support the Cipher, so those of you with Ciphers will soon have a free dyno on tap. Here's a sample "dyno" output from a tuned STI (the program accepts RPM versus time datalog along with vehicle parameters like mass / gear ratios / drag coefficient / etc to calculate power versus RPM):
Any word on this?

Also any new updates on the issues with bank 1 and 2?

Old 06-03-2006, 10:52 AM
Any progress???

Old 06-03-2006, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by PunKidd
Any progress???
We all are waiting on you. Any new updates or features?

Old 06-03-2006, 02:54 PM
Me? What for? I didn't know Cipher was lacking something for this experament. I'm open to suggestion

We're working on a new release right now, but I'm not sure how any of the new features are going to help w/ this experament.

Old 06-03-2006, 03:55 PM
For progress
Which experiment?

If you’re asking about B2 being leaner than B1 then I am guessing this is because of how Nissan designed it, without fuel return system and were fuel is coming to B1 and then via siphon tube to B2. So one closer to source …

If you’re asking about MechEE RoadDyno application, I don’t know. It looks like he decided to ignore us

If you’re asking about my cams (angle separation), I have no clue. But it looks scary to me.

Old 06-04-2006, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by dovla
For progress
Which experiment?

If you’re asking about B2 being leaner than B1 then I am guessing this is because of how Nissan designed it, without fuel return system and were fuel is coming to B1 and then via siphon tube to B2. So one closer to source …

If you’re asking about MechEE RoadDyno application, I don’t know. It looks like he decided to ignore us

If you’re asking about my cams (angle separation), I have no clue. But it looks scary to me.
Hey guys, I've just been very busy lately and playing with cars has taken a back seat. I'll take some new logs later tonight and post them up.

Regarding the RoadDyno application, I haven't had a chance to tweak it. I just have too many side projects going on in parallel!

Old 06-04-2006, 03:44 AM
Old 06-05-2006, 10:45 PM
You guys throw that big stink and then no comments?

Old 06-06-2006, 12:35 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Well... Unfortunatly I don't see a clear correlation between the cam timing and A/F. I wish there was because it would be simple. Some parts fit and some dont.

I also doubt the fuel rail is the reason because pressure drop would increase exponentially with increasing RPM... And the change in A/F doesn't appear to be following a continuously divergent exponential trend.

...Even with your good data analysis, I still don't know for sure why its doing that.

Could there be low level issues with the repeatability of the cam solenoids or the cam position sensors?... I hate to ask this question because we will never have anything more than speculation to run on.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 06-06-2006 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:03 PM
G Kreuzer
A very interesting discussion yall brewing here!

How come this Cipher thingie wasn't around when I was sooo heavily involved in R&D of the G/Z ECU (more than a year)??? What a nifty little toy!!! I may consider getting one for myself to play with.

I haven't had a chance to read through the entire thread, but the funny AF bump at around 3750 is programmed into the ECU injector map and can be addressed. I have also noticed the variance between bank 1/2. It looks like a fuel trim thing. If you reset your ECU (via battery discon) ... then immediately log some WOT pull soon after ... you'll see the variance is nearly zero.

... still at work here; can't chat much right now (busy).

Hey Tony ... good seeing you here!

Old 07-28-2006, 03:01 AM
Me too just read this discussion... have been missing out on some good info.

Tony, you and I discussed this a few tiems. this totally validates what I am seeing with my car. IN my case. the bank difference certainly appears electronic. Nor sure why. If I had (when i have) the cipher, i will do some major logging to see what the deal is. It's interesting, because at certain lighter-yet-open-loop loads, i get a perfectly balanced AFR (say, 12.8:1); increaseing this load ever sligtly upsets teh afr in a major way...goes 0.5-0.8 AFR units leaner on B2 (p-side). I have verifyied this many times. Could be a trim issue... this is why i need the cypher to verify... but part of me doubts it, since, a) i have logged all 6 inj duty cycles (right on), b) swapped the injectors side to side (still no change, B2 leaner), and it only occurs in certain open loop load points, NOT all open loop load points or at closed loop loads. It's gotta be the cam, or just inequality of air distribution. Latter les likely, since i have the MREV2+ setup (super stuff).

Old 07-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Actually bank 2 is the drivers side .
-Jared.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: UpRev Cipher: anybody try theirs yet?