Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Mrev+Oil???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mrev+Oil???

does anybody know if by installing the mrev+ w/ the machined lower plenum and spacer, do i need to add more oil??? just wondering because about a month or two ago my car was making a weird noise so i took it to the dealer and they told me i had no oil in my car , so they chaged my oil or i should say added oil, and now i just installed the mrev+ bout two weeks ago and it just started making that same noise?? please help me out, thanks in advance. sorry for the long story

Old 05-04-2006, 12:19 AM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
one has nothing to do with the other

Old 05-04-2006, 12:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^+1 on that E.... i think your just drivng your car too harsh

Old 05-04-2006, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
After the oil was refilled . . . Do you remember how many miles had elapsed before the noise had started? How many miles on your car?
Do you normally check your oil on a regular basis? How often do you change your oil? Does this noise occur when you start the car? If so, how long does it last or does it continue on?

After all that, you appear to be running low on oil.

Old 05-05-2006, 06:57 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
If your car is under warranty, get the dealer to find out where your oil is going to...

Old 05-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by rcdash
If your car is under warranty, get the dealer to find out where your oil is going to...
Don't leave the mrev on if you go for warranty work. Just another reason for them not to pay for it.

You might pop the upper plenum off ans see if the lower is full of oil. I don't mean just a little in the bottom, full. If it is, check your PCV valve, you may have a positive crankcase pressure that is pushing the oil up the vent tube.

Old 05-05-2006, 08:12 PM
workin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there have been many documented cases of vq's that just drink oil. it's a problem. ask your dealer to do the oil consumption test. i believe it is for 1000 miles. they'll mark the oil level prior to starting the test, then test you after 1000 miles. if you're engine is going through too much oil, they'll replace it.

i agree with the comment above, take off MREV and go to the dealer STOCK.

Old 05-06-2006, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am not clear on your situation with regard to the dealer's involement here. However, if your G is consuming an excessive amounts of engine oil the dealer should have ordered an engine oil consumption test already. Based on your comments . . . The sound, which you are hearing may definitely be an engine valve train noise.

I had such an issue with excessive engine oil consumption during my G's breakin period. It was quite disheartening, as the car was brand new. An engine oil consumption test was performed by the dealer over a period of some 4 months. The test consisted of alternating 1k and 1.5k mileage intervals. As the test progressed the car was consuming less and less oil. In the end the total consumption was 1/2 pint over 1500 miles, which I was quite pleased with. The test data was sent to Infiniti/Nissan and they determined everything to be fine. After all of that, I installed the MREV+, which had been sitting in the garage for quite awhile. No oil consumption issues to report to date. I have the dealer change the engine oil every 2.5k miles.

There is one member here on these boards that I know, whom had his engine swapped out due to similiar issues at some 20k miles. Good luck.

Old 05-06-2006, 09:35 AM
In ANY event, you MUST check your oil DAILY!!! I know that stick is a pain, but your engine is at stake.

There's an old rule of thumb that I have found to be quite true in my 35+ years of driving/maintaining cars: if you let the oil get down 4 quarts, EVEN ONCE, you are doomed with an oil burner and you will need to check it DAILY for now on.

Old 05-06-2006, 09:47 AM
Doh! Double tap...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.