Headers or Plenum spacer + MREV 2 ??????????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2007 | 07:56 PM
|
Headers or Plenum spacer + MREV 2 ??????????

Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need your help!!!!!!!!!!! Especially from you guys, who have a lot of MODs!!!!!
I have a 2006 6MT coupe with a Stillen dual cat back exhaust and a K&N CAI. I am so NOT sure if my next upgrade should be the Stillen headers or MREV2 + plenum spacer.
I've spoken to a lot of people here, and most of them have advised me to go with MREV 2 + plenum spacer. However, I called Everythingg35.com and spoke to Mike. He said that the headers will give me better performance and more HP, but it's way harder to install than the MREV 2 and spacer.
Please,,,,,,,,,,,,, what do you guys REALLY think I should do??? I'm planning to do this next February!!!
Any comments will be HIGLHY appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you!!!

Old 01-16-2007 | 08:10 PM
Easy decision, MREV2 + spacer.

I've got headers, but the gains are not as significant as the MREV. Furthermore, it's cost a lot more for headers to be installed.

If you do get headers, DO NOT get Borla headers.

Old 01-16-2007 | 08:20 PM
I would skip the spacer and go with the crawford Plenum IMHO. Headers are hard to intall and may not be worht the Gains it gives if you are looking for most HP to dollar ratio.

Old 01-16-2007 | 08:34 PM
_jb
Photographer
Premier Member
Originally Posted by Ramon
I've spoken to a lot of people here, and most of them have advised me to go with MREV 2 + plenum spacer. However, I called Everythingg35.com and spoke to Mike. He said that the headers will give me better performance and more HP, but it's way harder to install than the MREV 2 and spacer.
That probably means that they don't sell Motordyne stuff, but they do sell Stillen...

I personally don't like to install anything that knowingly reduces horsepower. The Motordyne stuff supposedly improves torque at the expense of horsepower... that's not cool for me. At our last Dyno meet the cars with MRev stuff dyno'd poorly.

If I was going to add headers and things that help upper RPM horsepower, I wouldn't put on things that reduce upper RPM horsepower... thus, I have a Crawford plenum and am very happy with it.

My thoughts have nothing to do with what you or others will think is best. Do a search on MRev and you'll get a few messages with other opinions.

Old 01-16-2007 | 08:35 PM
MREV 2 and plenum spacer imo. I faced the same decision and picked the MREV 2 and spacer and have not had any regrets. Car feels great and sounds great too.

Old 01-16-2007 | 08:40 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Get Headers do the research and decide which one u want, change your cats, and then Utec sp? get it tuned at PerformanceFactory.com

Oh and join the FG35 club pm Demonteverde

Old 01-16-2007 | 08:41 PM
fgc moderator
crawford plenum has my vote. (see mod list below)

Old 01-16-2007 | 09:06 PM
I'm going to say get the plenum spacer at minimum. It was the most noticable bolt on mod that I did on both my G's. I don't have the MREV though, so I can't say what gains you will make. I disagree that they sacrifice horspower. Sport Z magazine tested all the popular plenum spacers and plenums and the Motordyne 5/16 fared the best by a very small hp marging. In other words, not enough that you'll notice.

Headers will give you some improvement, but are more expensive to install, assuming you don't do it yourself. High flow cats (Crawford) will give you about the same increase from what I understand and are easier to install and are cheaper.

Old 01-16-2007 | 09:08 PM
Banned
welllll if you decide to go spacer and mrev... I have a 1/2" MD spacer for sale

pm me or check out my thread and then pm me

Old 01-16-2007 | 10:06 PM
I have no exhaust and have the spacer whereas w0ady has the full plenum. We are making the roughly the same power. Gilley also notes the test wherein the spacer had comparable gains to the full plemum...

I have headers and I picked up like 4hp/tq--and, you are talking almost $1,000 with the part and install costs...you'll get 3 times that with the plenum spacer and at 1/4 of the price...

Old 01-16-2007 | 10:21 PM
I have the crawford plenum and MREV 2 on my 06 G and haven't had any loss in power as jb mentioned. This combo, for my car, increased both the torque and horsepower, I also have the HKS exhaust.

What I've noticed in person is that when the crawford plenum is paired with the MREV 2 on a rev-up motor, it produces significant gains in horsepower and torque, but no so much with the spacer and MREV 2, but that's just me .

Old 01-16-2007 | 10:27 PM
DUDE JUST F it and go TT.

Old 01-16-2007 | 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by WILD121
DUDE JUST F it and go TT.
+1
but, plenums still help out for FI

Old 01-16-2007 | 10:51 PM
Headers..........not!

The best bang for your buck is the MotorDyne MREV2 and 1/2" Spacer.........
If for some reason we haven't convinced you call Tony at MotorDyne
661-993-5111 He'll lead you down the right path + headers won't offer
a tenth of the HP that MotorDyne will give you!!

Old 01-16-2007 | 11:54 PM
_jb
Photographer
Premier Member
Originally Posted by MD_V35
I have the crawford plenum and MREV 2 on my 06 G and haven't had any loss in power as jb mentioned. This combo, for my car, increased both the torque and horsepower, I also have the HKS exhaust.

What I've noticed in person is that when the crawford plenum is paired with the MREV 2 on a rev-up motor, it produces significant gains in horsepower and torque, but no so much with the spacer and MREV 2, but that's just me .
I have to say that your car seems to be the exception. I almost mentioned your car in my post, but didn't want to speak for you.

It isn't just me that noticed the slight loss of top end power with an MRev2... Tony himself has mentioned it several times in his posts. It's not a secret, it's part of the deal. MRev2 is a modified 287hp lower plenum. It makes sense that it would have more mid-range torque and less high rpm power than a 298hp revup lower plenum.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Headers or Plenum spacer + MREV 2 ??????????