UpRev's New Osiris Program - Anyone Following this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 06:33 PM
_jb
Photographer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation UpRev's New Osiris Program - Anyone Following this?

UpRev, the company that makes the Cipher OBDII diagnostics tool, has come out with a new tool that flashes the ECU directly through the OBDII port. This new program, named Osiris, gives users the ability to update the ECU using their PC, without mailing the ECU out for a reflash.

UpRev has also found a way to store multiple ECU maps on the existing ECU. They have developed a way to switch between the multiple ECU maps using the Cruise Control on the G35. It's similar to a system that's very popular on the Subies in that regard.

UpRev's Osiris also comes with a copy of their Cipher software for monitoring the Fuel/Air, timing and other parameters. The initial plan is to purchase the Osiris software, and either describe your mods to the UpRev people, or send them your current Cipher logs. UpRev will then send you a firmware update that matches your mods and you update the ECU firmware with Osiris.

I see this as a real benefit for people that live far away from a tuner. It eliminates the need to send your ECU away to a place like UpRev or Technoflash for three days.

Here's a link to the original Osiris Thread on my350z. It's a long thread, but it has a lot of good information in it. Jared (PunKidd) is one of the main designers of Cipher/Osiris and has answered many of the questions asked.

There is one issue that I don't fully understand. The UpRev guys are saying that an ECU flash will help stabilize an ECU piggyback device like a UTEC. I didn't think an ECU could un-learn the settings saved in an UTEC. Maybe only the WOT settings can't be un-learned? Maybe someone else can help clear that up.

Note that no one here (certainly not me) is saying that the Osiris option is better than a real time tune on a dyno. That's certainly not the case. I do think the Osiris option is a great option for someone that doesn't live near a tuner or who doesn't want to send his ECU off. I think the Technoflash people will have to adopt this new feature or risk losing business. This assumes the UpRev flash is a quality product.

What do you think?

Old 07-03-2007, 02:14 PM
_jb
Photographer

Several people have asked Jared about ECU's learning "around" a UTEC. Here was his reply and also how a flash would stop that from happening.

Originally Posted by PunKidd
One thing that we can do to help w/ the ECU learning around the UTEC (or any piggy back) is we can set the AFR targets to whatever you are trying to hit w/ the UTEC. That way when the ECU does try to learn it will just get closer to the targets that you are shooting for.
Once you go FI, let me know what targets you want and I can send you an updated ROM to flash w/ the new targets.

-Jared.
I have heard that several of the big tuner shops have started flashing ECU's even when a piggy back system is installed. Looks like this is the reason.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:14 PM
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member
i'm interested in it, but I figured I would get it instead of a UTEC. I think you can also map 2 separate cars so splitting it (350 each) is an option.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds interesting

Old 07-05-2007, 04:37 PM
Interested in splitting the cost for one of licenses.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:14 PM
_jb
Photographer

Originally Posted by Daendi77
i'm interested in it, but I figured I would get it instead of a UTEC. I think you can also map 2 separate cars so splitting it (350 each) is an option.
There is an option to map two different cars, but it is more money. The $700 price is for a single ECU only. The ECU ID lock information is stored in firmware in the cable, so it would be difficult to share between two people (in different cities).

I'm not sure what benefits a UTEC offers over the Osiris option. At the current time, no one but Osiris can create the ROM code that Osiris uses to burn new firmware into the ECU. I think that some time in the future, tuners will be able to create Osiris ROM code from their dynos and burn specific tune data into your ECU from their tuning dyno runs.

I think that having an ECU programmed to your specific needs by real time dyno runs and analysis from a good Tuner will be hard to beat. It will be cheaper than buying a piggyback device and it will never get un-learned by the ECU because the ECU will be striving to learn towards the new settings. Note that I'm talking strictly NA here... FI is another deal and will have more need for piggy-back devices.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:29 PM
_jb
Photographer

Originally Posted by Marshall2K
Interested in splitting the cost for one of licenses.
Like I said above, I don't think it's too feasible to split something like this between two people, plus the price goes up for the second license. Additionally, there is a price break for people that already own UpRev's Cipher software, so it won't cost me much to upgrade.

I think Osiris is a good deal and I know the UpRev people are very knowledgeable about the Nissan ECU, and their Cipher product is tremendous... and they have successfully tuned a lot of cars... and they have a Nissan Consult-II in-house to check everything with, but... I'm not a jump-on-the-bandwagon type person.

This Osiris code actually remaps the ECU to use new data from new locations. It also re-writes the ECU firmware code and updates it to the latest version. All good things when it works properly. I'd like to see a few more happy customers before I consider zapping my G with it.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:10 PM
FGC President
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
john if you get this and you have to get a new cable
can i have your old cable?

Old 07-05-2007, 07:42 PM
Im was almost sure from reading UpRev's posts on my350z.com, that for $700 you could do two per cable with the Osiris package.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:52 PM
_jb
Photographer

Originally Posted by SFLG35
john if you get this and you have to get a new cable
can i have your old cable?
Part of the upgrade deal is that you have to send the original Cipher cable back to UpRev before they'll send you the new Osiris+Cipher cable.

The new cable will do one Osiris connection (or two if you pay for a second) and multiple (unlimited) Cipher connections.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:56 PM
_jb
Photographer

Originally Posted by Marshall2K
Im was almost sure from reading UpRev's posts on my350z.com, that for $700 you could do two per cable with the Osiris package.
I'll go back and look again, but I know the Jax-Chick had trouble registering for the second option and Jared said she'd need to talk to UpRev directly.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:27 PM
FGC President
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
damn guess i wont get gettin the cable then

Old 07-11-2007, 02:53 PM
_jb
Photographer

It looks like UpRev's Osiris software has good value for NA VQ35 engines. In all honesty, it's a tremendous value for me as an existing Cipher owner. UpRev is currently being very generous on their upgrade pricing.

I think an Osiris firmware upload could be all you need for an NA G35, but I'm also enthused about using it with a ECU piggy-back (UTEC). AFAIK, Osiris does everything a UTEC can do (for a NA VQ) and maybe a little bit more. Osiris will update the rev limit on RevUp motors and set the throttle to open 100%. I don't think a UTEC will do either of those operations.

There is only one drawback that I can see with Osiris by itself. In its current form, upload ROMs are created from UpRev's library of in-house tunes they have done on their dyno in Texas. I'm sure they do a good job tuning cars on their dyno, Jared is a very respected Tuner... However, there is no guarantee that two G35s with the same mods will respond to the same tune. UpRev's counter to this is that their library ROM is probably much better than leaving the ECU in its OEM state.

I can see two options to get a personalized tune.

1. UpRev is working on a tuner kit for Osiris. The tuner kit will enable Tuners to dyno your car and then tune it through the Osiris interface. This sounds great, provided that there is some incentive to lure Tuners to use/learn Osiris. The ECU wouldn't learn around the new performance settings because they would be the settings the ECU was programmed with.

2. The second option is to install a UTEC and the Osiris software together. The UTEC would be tuned as usual and then the settings would be given to the UpRev guys (or the Tuner) and they would be burned into the ECU with Osiris. This sounds like double effort/cost, but it has advantages. The ECU would no longer try to un-learn the UTEC settings because the UTEC settings would be the primary settings in the ECU (via Osiris upload).

The second option would be much more expensive for the owner because it would include the purchase of a UTEC. I guess the viability of option one will be determined by individual Tuner's interest in offering Osiris ECU upgrades as a product.

Thoughts?

Old 07-15-2007, 02:28 AM
_jb
Photographer

Originally Posted by __jb
I'm interested in the not-yet-released Osiris Tuner Module that will allow Tuners to tune NA cars with Osiris and eliminate the UTEC. That should be the best of all worlds.
Originally Posted by PunKidd
FYI, there are a couple of pro tuners that are already using the Osiris tuning suite. Sam @ GTM has it and Mark @ SGP has it. This is the beta version that will not be released to end users. It's just not user friendly enough. The redesign is in the works. I don't want to set any dates, but I will say I want to get it out ASAP because I'm getting overwhelmed w/ eTunes already. The sooner we can get it released the sooner we can start sending people to their local tuners .
Jared@UpRev.com
This is one of Jared's replies to one of my posts where we were talking about pro tuners using UpRev's Osiris flash program. I thought that some of you might find it interesting that several pro tuners are starting to use Osiris. It appears that they are beta testing it actually.

Old 07-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't see hpw the Target A;F is going to for an FI car. does the Osirus have a wideband O2 input? I'm pretty sure the stock wideband sensors areen't accurate into the 11s.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: UpRev's New Osiris Program - Anyone Following this?