Why do you do it? (jason's question of the week)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 08:29 AM
Man with green rock in Vortech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do you do it? (jason's question of the week)

Well I will just keep on throwing these random (loaded) questions out there, figure it gives me something to do monday morning and keeps some fresh content in this forum to mix it up

The question of the week this week is:

Would you modify your car as much without this forum?

Here is my take on this, coming from a forum of over 100,000 members (maxima.org) and being one of the "top dogs" it was a good feeling to do something to the car, post pictures and get about 8-10 pages of compliments. Now don't get me wrong, I am not looking to inflate my ego via the internet, but it was a nice feeling to get a lot of appreciation when I would put in some hard work, a good chunk of money and a little ingenuity. A lot of people don't post pictures of their car or modifications they have done because they think people will copy them and the modification will lose it's flavor, but for me, that is the ultimate compliment. If I do some original modification, or just something a little different and people start doing it that's a cool feeling.

I think it is a little different on this forum (g35driver) because there are a lot more people with a lot more money. It is a little different coming from a car that every 17 year old kid could buy, to one that moves into a different market. I honestly didn't plan to do a lot to the g35 when I bought it because of all the money I dumped, er wasted, into my maxima; but coming on this forum and seeing other people have heavily modded cars kind of peaked my interest. There is a golden rule when it comes to trying to keep up with the biggest and baddest and that is that there will always be somebody else with a lot more money and at the end of the day you have to do what makes you happy. I can tell you right now, without this forum, I would never have bought the vortech sc'er. I would have never had to deal with 350forums and the worst replica body kit I have ever seen, but you live and you learn.

Let's be honest, everyone enjoys a little praise now and again, especially when you are doing all the hard work yourself.

-jason

<begin bragging>ps - just want to make sure everyone knows i was the first person to import a real ings+1 kit to the US, the first person to buy a set of JIC coilovers for a g35 (and blow a strut), the first set of 20" DPE's ever made and ever on a g35, the first person to try out the adjustable kinetix control arms, i might be pioneering a little brake project and probably a couple other things are pretty unique </bragging>

Old 10-03-2005, 08:50 AM
no way!

Old 10-03-2005, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by neffster
no way!
your wife would love for you to all of the sudden get banned from g35driver, haha.

Old 10-03-2005, 10:04 AM
FGC Central Florida BOD
Its a catch 22...
Would you modify your car as much without this forum?
but
Would you join this forum without the intent of modding?

So since the forum is the outlet for research in modding, it attracts those that are susceptible to catch the near fatal modding bug. Therefore the results of this bias poll must be thrown out...NEXT!

Old 10-03-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by turbomaxima
your wife would love for you to all of the sudden get banned from g35driver, haha.
It's too late. I know all of the secrets about being banned, working around the system, etc...

Come on man, a junkie needs his fix at all costs!!!

Old 10-03-2005, 11:31 AM
THE BATMOBILE
nope

Old 10-03-2005, 11:36 AM
FGC's official flip flopper
I got into this forum just to learn about the car before I bought it. I was into roadfly with the X5 and knew how valuable info can be on a good board.

I intended to keep her stock b/c I am not one who thorws money into a car....BUT...this forum keeps you up to date on many cool ideas to make your car personal. With that said....I thought I would stick to just z-tube and clear corners. Well...I had to go off and venture into the FI forums and we all know what happened. I venture into the Audio/Video forum...and...look at my sig. Its never ending...but....it keeps me active and having fun.

Like Jason said in an earlier post. If I die, at least I went down having fun without regrets.

With that said again....I could have saved a ton of money by never visting this board but I wouldn't have formed some of the friendships along the way...

Old 10-03-2005, 01:10 PM
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
I have some bragging rights, too. I was the first G35 with the DPE R05 Variant S wheels...but i cannot brag as much as Jason. O, and I may be the highest mileage G in the FGC, too.

Old 10-03-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by g8tor20
I got into this forum just to learn about the car before I bought it. I was into roadfly with the X5 and knew how valuable info can be on a good board.

I intended to keep her stock b/c I am not one who thorws money into a car....BUT...this forum keeps you up to date on many cool ideas to make your car personal. With that said....I thought I would stick to just z-tube and clear corners. Well...I had to go off and venture into the FI forums and we all know what happened. I venture into the Audio/Video forum...and...look at my sig. Its never ending...but....it keeps me active and having fun.

Like Jason said in an earlier post. If I die, at least I went down having fun without regrets.

With that said again....I could have saved a ton of money by never visting this board but I wouldn't have formed some of the friendships along the way...

Don't forget, it was this forum that gave you LR envy.

Old 10-03-2005, 03:54 PM
_jb
Photographer

I think my mods have been directly influenced by these forums. I have modded cars in the past, but probably would not have modded my G in the way that I have without these forums.

I found a post showing how to retrofit the Premium mirror on a non-premium G35. I ended up buying a mirror on eBay and Lokey installed it, but I probably wouldn't have thought of it if it were not for a few posts about it. And I have to say that the Premium mirror rocks!

I bought a Valentine hard wire mount specifically created to hang from the G35 Premium mirror. I found a post about it and tracked down the guy that makes them on my350z.com. Very useful. Reasonable price. No suction cups... easy to put up a window reflector... doesn't fall off all the time... looks great!

My next mod is replacing my head unit with a DD Nav unit. I probably would have never guessed that a DD HU would fit in an Infiniti G35 using Nissan Skyline dashboard parts available from a Japanese exporter (Yoshi). The Nissan dash parts make the installation look factory installed. Very cool. I'm still gathering parts and information for this project.

Old 10-05-2005, 03:32 PM
Abra Kadabra... this thread shall not die!

Old 10-05-2005, 03:36 PM
bwahaahahahahahaahahahahaha

Old 10-05-2005, 03:42 PM
FGC's official flip flopper
Allright...we're back!

Old 10-05-2005, 04:56 PM
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Without seeing pictures of Jason's car, I probably would have neevr bought my DPEs. Without hearing reviews about the sound of a Z-Tube, I would have never bought that.
Basically, without these boards...I would be driving a stock G35 and have no G35 friends...

Old 10-05-2005, 05:28 PM
And you wouldn't have to worry about one of us stealing your upstairs neighbor out from under you... hahaha!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why do you do it? (jason's question of the week)