Improper U-Turn=Lame Ticket, Advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 10:46 AM
G's Up, Ho's Down
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Improper U-Turn=Lame Ticket, Advice?

Last night I was kinda lost so I needed to turn around. I ended up making a U and/or K turn and had the Boynton Police flying up behind me. Basically I explained my situation and they were like "great, here is a ticket."

Supposedly this a 3-point violation, but my New York License will not be affected since they do not accept violations from other states.

Should I:

a) pay the ticket
b) traffic school
c) hire a "ticket clinic"
d) fight it myself in court

The main thing I'm concerned with is my insurance premimum rising as a result. I do not want this on any record.

Old 10-21-2005, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd just pay it. If it won't impact your NY license, then your insurace company won't really have any way of knowing about it. I had a similar issue with a ticket in FL on my NY license. When I finally switched to a FL license, there was no record of any violations.

Old 10-21-2005, 10:57 AM
G's Up, Ho's Down
Are you sure? I thought they could do a national search of DMV records. Also, even if my NY license is intact could they "suspend my FL driving privledge" or some crap?

Last edited by BocaCoupe; 10-21-2005 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:08 AM
Was there a sign right where you turned around that said no U-turn?

If so, pay the ticket and move on...

Old 10-21-2005, 11:14 AM
G's Up, Ho's Down
no sign, was middle of a big street.

Old 10-21-2005, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by BocaCoupe
Are you sure? I thought they could do a national search of DMV records. Also, even if my NY license is intact could they "suspend my FL driving privledge" or some crap?
Nobody is going to suspend your driving privledge for an improper U-turn. But, I wouldn't do like 5 more U-turns if I were you.

Old 10-21-2005, 11:42 AM
THE BATMOBILE
i would fight it........sorry to hear.......i hate the cops

Old 10-21-2005, 12:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
heres the # you were asking bout:
Jason A. Diamond, PA
(954)967-9888

Old 10-21-2005, 01:25 PM
You do get points for out of state tickets. I think its two even if its a three pointone. I had gotten a ticket in NY and I live in NJ. Two points were put on my license and a insurance increase.

Old 10-21-2005, 03:00 PM
G's Up, Ho's Down
Originally Posted by madabs
You do get points for out of state tickets. I think its two even if its a three pointone. I had gotten a ticket in NY and I live in NJ. Two points were put on my license and a insurance increase.
Do you have a NY license or NJ. I'm talking NY State does not reconize tickets outside its jurisdiction.

http://www.nysdmv.com/dmvfaqs.htm#tickets

If I get a ticket for a moving violation in another state, do I receive points on my NYS driver license?

The NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions. The exceptions are alcohol-related violations, drug-related violations, and moving violations committed in Quebec or Ontario. Under special agreements, traffic convictions in Quebec or Ontario are recorded on NYS driver license records and carry points. Except for violations in Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS record for out-of-state violations.

If you do not respond to a ticket or fail to pay a fine for a moving violation that you committed in any state except Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon or Wisconsin, the DMV suspends your NYS driver license until you respond to the ticket or pay the fine. If a driver from a state except these six states fails to respond to a traffic ticket issued in NYS, their driver license will be suspended until the driver responds to the traffic ticket in NYS.

Drivers from other states must contact the DMV in their home state to get information about the effect of a traffic violation conviction that occurs in NYS.

If you receive a conviction for an alcohol-related or drug-related driving violation in any state, your NYS driver license is revoked for at least six months.

Old 10-21-2005, 03:10 PM
FGC Central Florida BOD
yeah NJ does take out of state tickets, NY does not.

Tennessee also does not and my insurance never went up when I got missouri tickets...but my insurance hasnt gone up since iv gotten tickets with Missouri license and Florida license and gotten tickets in the respective state. I have State Farm but my agent is in TN.

I wouldnt be too worried...if you have a NY license...the FL ticket will never make it out of Florida if you pay it. Thats one reason its illegal to drive with an out of state license when you live in the state!!!

Old 10-21-2005, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by BocaCoupe
no sign, was middle of a big street.
FLorida law states that you can do a u-turn anyway as long as there is no posted sign saying you can't. I would just hire ticket clinic. It cost the same and sometimes less than actually paying the ticket, plus you don't have to go to court and you guaranteed no points on your license.

Old 11-18-2005, 08:58 AM
G's Up, Ho's Down
I'm about to pay this ticket. I'm not worried about the points (they will NOT get transfered). At this point i'm only concerned that I will have a "Florida" record even though I do not have a FL license and this will affect my INSURANCE somehow.

Will it get back to my insurance company?

Old 11-18-2005, 10:04 AM
FGC Central Florida BOD
I dont think so. Mine never went up, but I wont promise you anything because my family has been with statefarm for over 25yrs and it takes a little more for them to jack up rates. My parent's have been there so long they have a no drop clause, no matter what.

Old 11-18-2005, 10:36 PM
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member
Location: Universe.Milkyway.Solarsystem.Earth.NorthAmerica.USA.FL.Tampa
Take the class it lessens the fine and drops the points. My wife got one around 11pm at night on a street with no traffic she was lost and headed in to a bad area.

There is a school teacher in hllsborough that is fighting a tickets and is using some conflict of interest approach. See in the state of Florida we pay a tax on our insurance and this tax goes to the law enforcement pension fund. The more tickets they right the higher insurance rates go the higher the rates the higher the tax. The more taxes paid into the fund the less the cops have to pay into the pension.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Improper U-Turn=Lame Ticket, Advice?