Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Going FI: Tires and Suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going FI: Tires and Suspension

It seems that I am going TT in the near future (see sig). I am probably going to run around 6 lbs of boost and 370-380 whp in order to say safe on stock internals. I am going to keep an engine rebuild money pot around just in case.

However, I am probably going to need to change my suspension. Therefore I am asking for some advice on what I should do. I curently have the tire/suspension performance package and Rear Active Steering (a definately difference from a stock G or even 350 Z).

Obviously I am going to need some new springs, sway bars, better tire (OEM RE 050) etc. I would like to hear what others who have made the transition from N/A to FI have done.

And before the search ****'s come out, yes I have searched and there is very little (in either the tire or FI forums) on my particular situation.

Thanx

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 07-15-2006 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:27 PM
just get some cheap tires. Youre going to tear them up anyways.

Old 07-16-2006, 02:12 PM
So, out of the hundreds w/ FI cars out there, no one has an intelligent opinion?

Old 07-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
So, out of the hundreds w/ FI cars out there, no one has an intelligent opinion?

like I said go to tirerack.com and buy the cheapest ones that received a good rating. If youre looking at suspension, springs wont cut it. Thats a good way to wear out stock shocks, plus your handling will not be improved because the springs abilities will be conditionally used due to the lack there of of a performance shock. Check out Tein RA, Tanabe, D2 (makes great suspensions at an even better price).

Old 07-16-2006, 03:20 PM
I have been judiciously using tirerack for several years now. None of their top rated tires in Ultra/max perf. class are cheap.

I use their survey reports and expert reviews and usually buy my tires from them. So I guess that won't change, and the tires I get are never cheap (although tirerack has decent prices).

However, I need information about sizing. I will probably need a slightly wider tire and I wonder what I should look for. Also, the Goodyear Eagle Fi (#1 in expert test and 3 in user survey) for example doesnt come in the stock sizes, although is available in a 35 instead of 40.

Do I need, therefore to replace my entire suspension? My car, w/ only 3K miles has the sport tuned suspension already. Can I run stock for a while and just add stiffer sway bars? I suppose I will run my stock tires (Potenzas...not bad, but certainly not great, especially for the price) and stock suspension for a while.

Again, advice would be appreciated.

Old 07-16-2006, 03:31 PM
Do you have the Sport tuned package?

I do, I feel that my suspension travel is adequate for my need. I don't AutoX so, theres no need for me to go with a Tein setup. Sway bars would definately keep tighten up your sus. I just bought new tires from tirerack yesterday. I also picked up 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 staggered wheels. I spend total including shipping 580.00. Dunlops in the front, and Sumitomos in the rear. Without "meatsticks" ie slicks Im going to lose traction either way, so I figured it was best for me to conserve some cash and put it toward more potent items. Unless your racing, tires are tires. I dont know about you but Im Vorteched.

Old 07-16-2006, 03:41 PM
Yes (as stated in my first post) I have the sport tuned package.

The first thing I noticed when I drove this car was that the handling was light years better than my Mustang (and much better than the sedan loaner I drove during my first service). The car is on rails.

The second thing was that acceleration, especially torque was dissapointing. That is why my prioroty has been HP/TQ. The TT should resolve that problem.

So, then, are you saying that I should be OK, at least for a while w/ my stock set up? Maybe just add sway bars? I suppose I should be more concerned w/ brakes than suspension.

Also, did you get the Dunlp Max's? The scored 1 in the cust. survey and 5 in the expert survey (whcich includes all top tires, several that tirerack doesn't carry....5 isn't too shabby).

How do you like the Max's, since I would consider them.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 07-16-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:35 PM
Yes (as stated in my first post) I have the sport tuned package.

The first thing I noticed when I drove this car was that the handling was light years better than my Mustang (and much better than the sedan loaner I drove during my first service). The car is on rails.

The second thing was that acceleration, especially torque was dissapointing. That is why my prioroty has been HP/TQ. The TT should resolve that problem.

So, then, are you saying that I should be OK, at least for a while w/ my stock set up? Maybe just add sway bars? I suppose I should be more concerned w/ brakes than suspension.

Also, did you get the Dunlp Max's? The scored 1 in the cust. survey and 5 in the expert survey (whcich includes all top tires, several that tirerack doesn't carry....5 isn't too shabby).

How do you like the Max's, since I would consider them.

If you dont plan on hitting the tarmac or AutoXing youll be find with aftermarket sways and stock suspension. A lower suspension doesnt necesarily change suspension performance. It does prevent body roll though.

I purchased those dunlops for like 139. I don't have them on the car yet. They will be going on this week once I get them M&B'd. Like I said before, I wouldnt waste a lot on tires, if youre going FI, then youre going to be losing grip anyways. I think its rediculous to spend 300+ for Pilots, when they are going to wear the same as the cheaper tires. When your on the track, then yes its definately a different story. On my bike, I go with the best, but thats because my life stands on 2 wheels.

Old 07-16-2006, 05:48 PM
W/ nearly 400 whp, my life also relies on my tires. I will stay w/ the Potenzas for another 10 K or so, then I will probably get the Yokohama ADV or the Pilots. I will spend for tires, always have always will. 1.2 K is a given. If I didn't have a little money I wouldn't even be in the car moding game.

However, I do like the idea of retaining my stock suspension and adding sways. That is an area where I will save money.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 07-16-2006 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:59 PM
W/ nearly 400 whp, my life also relies on my tires. I will stay w/ the Potenzas for another 10 K or so, then I will probably get the Yokohama ADV or the Pilots. I will spend for tires, always have always will. 1.2 K is a given. If I didn't have a little money I wouldn't even be in the car madding game.

However, I do like the idea of retaining my stock suspension and adding sways. That is an area where I will save money.

I would do the opposite. Tires are tires. Do as you will. 1200 in tires is overkill. 1200 in a suspension will make for a mean machine.

Old 07-16-2006, 07:02 PM
G,

I have over 50K in a car that has performance that matches a 50K Corvette and surpasses a 60K M3. I live in Houston which gets torrential rain and is overrun by GINOURMOUS trucks w/ military grade grille guards running 80 plus mph.

Tires are all that are between me, my car, and the pavement.
I have a fantastic life, I wouldn't jeapordize it over a few hundred bucks.

I appreciate your advice about the suspension, I really do. You were wise there. But I will stick (get it, stick) w/ spending on tires.

Old 07-16-2006, 07:32 PM
G,

I have over 50K in a car that has performance that matches a 50K Corvette and surpasses a 60K M3. I live in Houston which gets torrential rain and is overrun by GINOURMOUS trucks w/ military grade grille guards running 80 plus mph.

Tires are all that are between me, my car, and the pavement.
I have a fantastic life, I wouldn't jeapordize it over a few hundred bucks.

I appreciate your advice about the suspension, I really do. You were wise there. But I will stick (get it, stick) w/ spending on tires.
I guess what my point is.... by saying tires are tires is that they are all the same. There are a few stand out racing tires, but the rest is just rubber. Youre going to hydro is an azenis just as well as an advan neova

Old 07-16-2006, 07:41 PM
I used to run 295 michelin PS2 tires. They were eh ok I guess. I guess they're supposed to be decent in the rain, but I don't drive much in the rain.

Then I got supercharged to make 440whp or so. Those 295 PS2's really didn't hold up in lower gears and I'd just spin tires out - kinda made the car useless when you'd step on it

I switched to some street legal R-compound tires. Now I have full traction in lower gears

Old 07-16-2006, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by sentry65
I used to run 295 michelin PS2 tires. They were eh ok I guess. I guess they're supposed to be decent in the rain, but I don't drive much in the rain.

Then I got supercharged to make 440whp or so. Those 295 PS2's really didn't hold up in lower gears and I'd just spin tires out - kinda made the car useless when you'd step on it

I switched to some street legal R-compound tires. Now I have full traction in lower gears
In a case like that you need them. That is my point exactly..

Old 07-16-2006, 08:01 PM
Sentry,
My only experience is with tire rack. Since I will have around 370-380 rwp (as much as my stock internals can safely take) maybe I should look into R-compounds. Where can I find them, and how much do they cost?

Edit: I just googled R-compound, and basically, they are a blend between the very high performance street tires I have been looking at (PS-2's YOKO adv, etc) and full race tires. they wear fast, perform well, and are expensive.

They are probably too expensive, then, for my daily driven car (my Mustang shares some duties, however). Can these tires be purchased cheaply?

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 07-16-2006 at 08:19 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Going FI: Tires and Suspension