Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

GT Motorsports Tests the Limit: ~518RWHP, Stock Block, 93 octane, 12 psi

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 05:44 PM
GTM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation GT Motorsports Tests the Limit: ~518RWHP, Stock Block, 93 octane, 12 psi

Hello Everyone,

Many of you know me on this forum and many of you don't, So here is a little info on my project. I own a 04 6MT G35 Coupe that has been boosted for most of its life, (over 20k miles). Since I acquired this vehicle I have been wanting to test the limit of our engines by taking it to the brink of failure, knowing for certain that detonation is never an issue and that if a failure occured, it was due to the shear power/torque and not a faulty setup (i.e. poor engine management).

To this end, I knew that a truely properly designed system with the best tuner is necessary that leaves nothing to chance. Beyond that I wanted it all to be done on 93 octane. So let me get started on what was needed to make this happen.

APS Twin Turbo Kit
APS 3.5 Down Pipes
Motordyne IsoThermal 1/2" Plenum Spacer
Greddy EVO TT Exhaust (Modified bottleneck area to 3")
HKS DLI II Ignition System
HKS Fcon VPro Standalone EMS
HKS KnockAmp
HKS Navigator Pro
HKS EVC 6 Boost Controller
HKS 1000cc Injectors
HKS SSQV BOV
Innovate! LC-1 Dual Bank A/F Monitoring (output to VPro)
CJ-Motorsports Stage 2 Fuel System
Walbro Fuel Pump 255lph
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs (1 deg colder)
GReddy Peak Hold Gauges (EGT, Boost, Fuel Press.)
JWT Clutch and Flywheel

So we began tuning the car (Dynojet). Tuning began at around 3:00pm with a blank slate on the VPro, strapped the car down and Sam got to work. I was helping Sam throughout the entire process (handing him items, resetting the dyno, etc.) and I could not believe the amount of work and time involved to make this happen. Sam really did an exceptional job as I can tell by the end result. We finished the car at around 3:00 AM. So it was roughly 12 hours from start to finish to make this happen, between dyno tuning and fine tuning the map on the road.

Driving the car is a dream! I cannot believe how linear the power is, the entire power band is great, top end is awesome, and the acceleration is unbelievable.

So far I have put just over 200 miles on the car and still have NO Check engine light. This usually comes on because the stock ECU is always trying to make changes and it cannot because of the VPro Standalone. Sam tuned the car so well and so close to OEM specs when not under boost that no CEL has become present. I was one of the people who used to belive that the tuners charged to much to tune a car, but now I strongly believe that's not the case!

So after all these long hours of carefully tuning the engine we came up with what we thought was a good tune. The car, with the current exhaust setup, produces about 10psi base boost (stock actuators). Here is what we got on 93 octane and slightly raised boost:

517.7rwhp and 475.7rwtq with 12psi, stock block, 93 octane gas, with no water/methanol injection.

With this tune there was no knocking/detonation at all but if we were to go any further with out full race fuel it would be too much.

Now this tune is definately an aggressive tune, and is not something that could be achieved by tunning a car for a few hours on the dyno. I do not recommend everyone go out and try to make this type of power with out knowing that the engine could let go at any time. I am testing the internals and want to see what they can take. However, it is equally important to stress that the car, equipped with a properly configured HKS knock-amp and with high quality headphones used during the tuning sessions (connected via the knockamp), exhibited ZERO knock. The engine was extremely quiet. It also helps that Sam has tuned over 40 VPros on the VQ35 and a ton of other EMS, He is truley and expert on the VQ35. Of course, we do not know how much it can handle. The point here is to see if it can handle ~518rwhp (~610 crank hp) for a period of time, including a track event.

I will be going to Willow Springs at the end of the month to track the car with this map loaded. The only difference will be is that I will run close to 100 octane gasoline to add a safety margin against detonation in severe track conditions. After all, I am taking detonation, so often being the culprit of engine failures, out of the equation with the combination of high octane, supreme engine management, and the best VQ35 tuner in the country, and seeing if the engine will take the sheer power while staying in one piece.

If the engine does stay intact, then at the time of breakdown at the end of February (when I plan to swap in my built block) we are hopeful to learn a lot about the VQ by examining any wear and tear that DID occur, while being confident that that wear is from shear power and not anything else. Also, I believe that some engines are stronger than others, just by falling in the tight or the loose end of the tolerances for the components. I do think I have one of the better engines, one of the few ways that I can explain it still staying together.

Here is the dyno sheet. Fire away with any questions. Just wanted to show everyone what can be done when you use the best components, AND the best tuner, because no matter how good the componets are they mean nothing without the right person using them

-George
GT Motorsports

Discussion at My350z.com Link: http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242840

Old 01-14-2007, 06:08 PM
wow that is amazing! I am getting my car tuned this week, i just bought the HKS FCON VPRO. I am also running stock block. can't wait to see what it makes!

Old 01-14-2007, 06:17 PM
GTM
Former G35driver Vendor
Who is tuning your car? You are going to love how OEM a properly tuned VPRO makes the car feel, especially with this type of power!

Good luck and let me know if you need anything!

-George
GT Motorsports

Old 01-14-2007, 08:56 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
George awesome post and great numbers! This is awesome to see someone spend the time tunning there car corectly and pushing the limits on these VQ's. For those who don't know George this guy pushes his car................Great to hear how great a job GT motorsports is doing with our VQ engines.

**More information on the built engine??

Old 01-15-2007, 02:16 AM
GTM
Former G35driver Vendor
*UPDATE*

I have been using the Two-Step launch control and Flat shift (Anti-Lag) feature flawlessly. Basically from a stop you put the car into gear with the clutch fully depressed and go WOT. The car sounds like a machine gun and holds the RPMs to 5K ( were we set it ) It also builds boost to about 9psi then I just let go and take off, except right now I am loosing traction because of the street tires. (Charles definetly need to borrow those DR's) With DR's the car will just take off like awd! ( sort of )

The Flat-Shift (Anti-Lag) is awesome because when I shift gears I do not let go of the gas pedal ( WOT the entire time ) and the VPro holds the RPM and then retards timing to hold/build boost so you never loose boost shifting between gears, Think I am going to have to run R-Compound tires daily

Oh yeah, my cruise control works too and no CEL (284 miles)

-George
GT Motorsports

Old 01-15-2007, 02:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome!! I know where to take my car now!

Old 01-15-2007, 02:57 AM
i can vouch for Sam and GtMotorports, he is one heck of a tuner and a nice guy to talk to too. my car went to same as stock and came out full blown lasting over 15k miles with no problem as of yet.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:58 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
That's insane!!!

Old 01-15-2007, 06:17 PM
Former G35driver Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ttrank
That's insane!!!
+1.. Give me a call when you're in the OC area George. Def want to get a test ride in this monster before you do the engine swap.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:37 PM
GTM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by martyg35
+1.. Give me a call when you're in the OC area George. Def want to get a test ride in this monster before you do the engine swap.

For sure Marty no problem!

Here is s teaser of the 2 step feature, During this video it created 9psi of boost at a stand still.

-George
GT Motorsports