Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Carputer installed for logging/guages

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 06:04 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Carputer installed for logging/guages

I finally worked out all the bugs in my carputer.

I went with something real basic with the sole purpose of it to display and log engine parameters.

The computer connects to my AEM O2 through a serial connection and then it connects to my UTEC engine management through USB. I have software that takes these two readings and merges them. I then output the signal though a video out and convert it to RGB+S which then displays it on my OEM Navi screen. I can toggle back and forth from Navi to Carputer through a custom switch I made that works off of the OEM Enter button.

To control the computer I got a wireless keyboard with built in touch pad:

I also have a network cable installed and can RealVNC in to the carputer from my laptop for log retrievel and tuning. I had initially went with wireless but I had some issues and went with the 'easier' solution.

The carputer itself is a 1ghz machine (Via EPIA) in the Mini-ITX footprint. It has a 40gb laptop harddrive and a M1 automotive power supply (works from 6-24vdc). I went 'cheap' and made my own case, which consists of a piece of plexi-glass cut to fit in my spare tire. It press fits on to the 'start nut' that holds the tire in place, and then I used a few eye bolts to provide stability towards the outside of the 'glass. Its pretty secure, yet comes out easily to access the tire:

Here is what it looks like on the dash:

After I finally got it working right (had some major issues with WinXP the first and second installs) I love it. It boots up in under 30 seconds and has been very stable for the past 2 weeks. I am somewhat concerned of the heat generated, but so far the two cooling fans have done a good job.

Cost -

Bought the motherboard, processor, and 512mb of RAM for $160
Bought the wireless keyboard/mouse for ~$80
Harddive - Free (used one laying around collecting dust)
M1 power supply - $~70
RGB converter - $50
Misc. cables - $15
UTEC engine control - $1100
AEM wideband - $300

I obviously already had the UTEC and AEM, so they don't really count, and I had the RGB converter from a DVD project that never got completed, so all and all I spent <$350 to have continous monitoring of boost, a/f, RPM, timing, IPW, and a few other things with no added guages and now I don't have to carry my laptop with my 24/7.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KPierson
I have software that takes these two readings and merges them.
What software is that? Looks good though, I like how you can get everything you need without gauges. Keeps the interior clean.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:51 AM
Banned
It's the MPS logger. I paypal'd Jeff for his version of sofware last Wednesday and have yet to hear back from him. Maybe I'll shoot him yet another Email to see if I can get it. It is supposed to be much better, with skinnable guages.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
KP - nice work. 30 secs startup not bad. Do you see EMI/RF interference on the screen with hard disk activity? I did till I switched to an all aluminum case. I also stuck it in the corner and have an exhaust fan out of the portal in the rear right corner of the trunk.

The process for registering for UTI I think is automated - I recall getting a reply with the code in minutes...

I don't have Nav, but have my screen in a similar spot (pictured).

Attached Thumbnails Carputer installed for logging/guages-pict0099.jpg  

Last edited by rcdash; 06-12-2007 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Banned
I notice some background noise with certain colors (mostly a black background). With the gray background you can't see anything at all, so I left good enough alone. I always got a little noise, even with the DVD player. I heard that there is a wire you can ground on the RGB converter that would take care of it, but its never been bad enough to mess with.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Awesome work Kevin. That is very clean!

Old 02-11-2008, 07:48 PM
^Dude, it's been like 6 months. This is old news. Haha.
This set up is so clean.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:03 PM
Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
looks nice! now hows that push button start coming along?!?!? =]

Old 02-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Banned
It's working in my daily driver. Hopefully by the end of the week the snow will be gone and it will be in my G. It's pretty sweet, I can't wait to get some new videos of it posted.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
^^i cant wait either! HURRY UP AND SELL the push button ignitions!! lol

Old 09-09-2008, 12:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does this do data logging? So you can replay the readings over a run?

-When driving hard on a road course it may be a bad idea to look at the screen. :P

Old 09-09-2008, 06:56 AM
Banned
It's a complete computer, so it can do data logging. I believe it's got either a 60 or 80 gig hard drive.

However, the screen is so small that you can't read any of the logs. For that purpose I've got a cat5 cable ran in the car and I can hook my laptop up to the carpc and VNC in to it. I can then tune/data log/etc from my laptop through the carpc. I also installed splices in all the important wires in the glove box so I can hook my laptop directly to the screen and UTEC to have direct control of everything and bypass the carpc.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:30 AM
Im going to use this. I have a nokia n810. Alot less trouble.
http://openbossa.indt.org/carman/index.html

Old 09-09-2008, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by hwy_star
Im going to use this. I have a nokia n810. Alot less trouble.
http://openbossa.indt.org/carman/index.html

Blitz and Greddy has this and they won't work for our car. The only thing you can pickup from the ODBII connection is the RPM. Blitz/Greddy Unit was supposed to pickup RPM, Water Temp, Oil Temp, Oil pressure, IAT....etc but the unit is dependent on the car manufacturer, model and year. I have verified it with Blitz and for our car the only thing it can pickup is the RPM and I forgot the other one.. which is useless!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carputer installed for logging/guages