Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Supercharger and Preventing Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharger and Preventing Engine Failure

After reading some of the posts on the Supercharger, I am a little more hesitant about getting it. I was looking into the Vortech Supercharger to increase the power and speed dramatically. I don't want to put an exhaust, intake, headers, or anything that is going to make my car loud. I want it as quiet as possible. Now, adding the Supercharger would require some fine tuning, I'm assuming. So what would I have to do, in order to ensure that my engine isn't going to fry? I do not want to have my car sitting in the shop for repairs on the engine, etc..or go through anything like that. So my question is, what would I have to upgrade, fine tune, whatever it is that I would have to do, to prevent such a thing happening to my G? I pick up the car tomorrow afternoon Thanks...

Old 01-21-2004, 10:17 PM
Banned
Re: Supercharger and Preventing Engine Failure

I going to put SC on my G35 and I have a good Shop to work with that has worked with Vortech for years on all types of cars......you will need that if you are not up to it yourself .I have had my car for almost a year and I still am reading as much as possible on the subject . No matter what SC you go with...they are not a true bolt on and go mod . You need to have fuel and timing management .So it sounds like you are in the same boat as I am .Take your time...get good tunners who know what they are doing

Couldnt afford it when young...gonna play when Im old<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by booger on 01/21/04 07:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 01-23-2004, 10:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the ATI first, and it ran very quiet from the exhaust, not discernably different. But the whine or whistle from the unit was very noticeable.
Skillful and knowledgeable tuning is the key to a happy and successful experience with any FI application.
However, you can get a safety, in the nature of a knock sensor with ignition retard and boost retard capabilities to prevent your engine from going boom. Take a look at the Ultra Safeguard unit made by John Pizzuto out of J&S Electronics, Inc. in Garden Grove.
http://www.jandssafeguard.com/safeguard.html
It is not cheap, but it is a lot cheaper than a hole in the motor! And it will allow you to drive with some more peace of mind.

I am getting one installed on my car, as soon as the backordered meter comes to them from the shop.

It is not an answer to the f/a mix issue that we are all focused upon with the car's ECU. But it is a safeguard that helps you get closer to proper tuning for the engine with some security.
Running the car too rich is not the answer. It protects the motor from pre-ignition, but robs you of power. The proper ratios for the car give great gobs of power, but as you cross 5500 rpms the a/f starts leaning up, and can go from say 11.5 at 5500 to 11.8 at 6000 and then 12.1 at 6300.....so you can see the accelerating trend to lean at high rpm...and the risks attendant.
What we really want is something around 11.9 give or take a little, around the 6000 to 6500 range...but NOT 12.5. If we can control the a/f in that zone we will not only have smooth and powerful running, but safer running.
I have messed with the programming of my ECU and done some ignition timing changes to be safer, and can run up there (so far) pretty well. But because of the ECU's learning ability....the capacity to change some of its settings, you get sweaty over whether it is behaving itself afterawhile.

SO.......I am going to get the little bugger put in, and go back and do some more dyno tuning. The presence of the device should allow me to tune it on the dyno safely (bad to blow it up on the roller!). Then, depending on how it goes with the read outs on the a/f consider tweaking the ECU once more, or leaving it. This is still new territory. If it works, then I may have a combo that gets us past the "dark side" of the moon.

Cpe 6MT/Aero/Prem/ATI/RT cats/Borla hdrs-catbcks/Nismo flywhl-cltch/TS-ECU/Tein flex EDFC/Stillen sways

Old 01-23-2004, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the reply...So, basically I just have to take it somewhere, where they know how to fine-tune and adjust the car, rite? Would you consider most performance shops that have been around for a long time to know what they're doing, and trust them fine-tuning and installing a supercharger, without having any problems? I live in Dallas, TX and I dont know if anyone is familiar with Jotech Motorsports, but I heard they do a great job, but they're very expensive compared to the other shops around...but I dont mind paying the extra $$, as long as I can have some peace at mind and have some fun with the extra power without having any problems.

Old 01-23-2004, 01:16 PM

Jotech is one of the best tuning shops for FI applications in the nation (from what I hear, not from personal experience). They worked on Skidazzle's (my350z forum member) 350Z. I think he is around 400RWHP with a custom TT kit. He said it runs beautifully however has slight traction issues when he breaks the beast loose. In any case, getting back on topic... if you don't mind putting out the extra cash, then I would highly recommend them. Further, if you are still bothered by the fact that the SC\turbo can cause problems down the road even with the best of tuning, I would recommend (like the above post) a J&S Safeguard.

Old 01-23-2004, 01:24 PM
Premier Member

Where is Jotech located?

Thanks - Joey Avino

Old 01-23-2004, 01:51 PM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Not to get to much of topic, do they make a Supercharger for a G35 sedan as it seems all the kits I am looking at are for either the coupe or the 350Z.
Once again sorry for going off topic alittle.
P.

2004 G35 Sedan with sports package at the moment.
1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 completely modified.

Old 01-23-2004, 05:56 PM

urban, I have the Vortech supercharger installed on my G35 6MT sedan and my installer claims they can put one on a 5AT with some customization. But I don't know how much that would cost.

--Steve

Old 01-23-2004, 07:03 PM

Could you give me details of the Vortech system and who you went through to get yours installed, I am not worried about the finance part as much as the being able to get it to work part.
Thanks,
Paul.

Old 01-23-2004, 10:07 PM

Urban, any chance you live within driving distance of Charlotte, NC. If so, your best bet is to contact Carolina Performance Racing (www.cprace.com). They did my car and Dollar99's car, both of which required customization (being as far as I know the first two G35 installs--one sedan, one coupe--of the Vortech kit).

--Steve

Old 01-24-2004, 12:50 AM

Zimbo I wish I was within driving distance but I am located in Cali bay area so I suppose I will need to find someone trust worthy out here if I do decide to get the kit which I probably will as I have just finished with my other car.
Paul.

Old 01-24-2004, 02:17 AM

The upcoming Dreamworkes supercharger is for the G Sedan. Its a bit pricey but that is justified (somewhat) as the design seems very well integrated (ie. not simply one of the other bolt-on superchargers that simply attach to the lower part of the manifold). Further, its said to carry a 36k/3yr. warranty on whole powertrain.

Old 01-24-2004, 05:34 AM

There is not to my knowledge a DW unit on any car any where yet. The concept is nice but is not a reality yet. I don't think you want to be the first. They certainly have to get a test bed model and have it evaluated before you put your money up.
The Vortech and ATI units have been around on a lot of other platforms for years. And it is still difficult to do properly.

Cpe 6MT/Aero/Prem/ATI/RT cats/Borla hdrs-catbcks/Nismo flywhl-cltch/TS-ECU/Tein flex EDFC/Stillen sways

Old 01-24-2004, 04:31 PM

The DW supercharger is what initially got me thinking that forced induction might be a reality for me. However, I wasn't willing to plunk down money prior to the actual release date and when I talked to the guys at DW they clearly didn't know enough about the differences between the G35 and the 350z to trust that their kit will even fit a G when it is first released.

The warranty sounds great--but frankly I'm going to take a wait and see attitude on this blower. I'm hoping for the best.

--Steve

Old 01-25-2004, 02:18 AM

In that case I will also join the line of people waiting to see if anyone can come up with a SC which fits our cars and is tested also.
Paul.