Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Why buy the UTEC when...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:54 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Why buy the UTEC when...

My fuel managment system has never really been a problem until the last time I retuned my car. Japtrix was telling me PLEASE buy a utec, we really can't tune your car well enough.

That's fair, I've got an old school unichip I bough 3 years ago that was 3 years old, and needs a DOS based computer to tune and it never works right... I'm running some goofy map right now that stalls sometimes at low RPMS.

Anyway someone at the bradenton meet suggested I look up a HKS fuel management that was below the FCON PRO.

http://www.alteredatmosphere.com/mm5...y_Code=350Z_EM

I remembered it because the gentleman said you could hook up diagnostics to your double din, which would be ownigee. But now that I'm reading it, it isn't a piggy back? And actually 'tunes it self' if you will Like the FCON PRO.

Do I have that right? If I turned up the boost, or got a new exhaust.. or the tempature fell 50 degrees or all 3.. and this FCON was set at 11.7. it would addapt???

Who has this installed, do I have all this right?

Old 10-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VPRO will cost you around $3000 after all the necessary harness and install is done, this doesn't include any Knock Amp if you want VPRO to react to knock. VPRO does have a Target A/F so you are right, if temp changed or Air Density do change, VPro will adjust its A/F accordingly.

Having said that, you can't compare VPRO with Utec coz of the price difference alone, Vpro is also a full Standalone and Utec is only a Standalone under boost/load. For the money, Utec is still the best coz you can control your Fuel and Timing when on load without any interference from the ECU, also, Utec has a Knock Sensor that can pull timing when knock is detected. Utec also have a Temp Compensation capability but not the best.

On thing I like about UTEC is that you can connect to it and do some logging and make minor adjustment by yourself. VPRO won't let you do any logging since it is locked, I'm a strong believer of Logging since you don't see everything just by looking at your gauge.

For example, a few weeks back, thanks to UTI, I was getting Beep Warning (UTI make sound when it detect knock) and I was knocking on all over the place even without boost. It turn out I had a bad gas even though I put 93 octane all the time. Bottom line Logging will also tell you if your tune isn't right coz numbers won't lie.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Jtrain,

you are thinking of the HKS FCON IS. It still tunes via piggyback though.

I don't know anything about the Unichip, but I know a good amount on the UTEC. For the money, the UTEC is a helluva EMS!!! From what I know, the UTEC has some features that the FCON V pro can't do!

Old 10-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
def get a UTEC bro, unless you got the cash for the VPRO

the FCON IS is another good choice but the thing w/ HKS is only HKS certified techs can sell, install and tune

while a UTEC you can do yourself if you know what to do, plus is way cheaper and does a hell of a job

Old 10-10-2007, 03:06 PM
CFW (Carbon Fiber Whore)
Originally Posted by FI'ed G
VPRO will cost you around $3000 after all the necessary harness and install is done, this doesn't include any Knock Amp if you want VPRO to react to knock
just an fyi, the J&S safeguard is far superior to the FCON knock amp

Old 10-11-2007, 03:28 PM
EDIT: I'm an idiot

Last edited by Jtrain; 10-11-2007 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by Jtrain
I can swallow 3,000 for an fcon pro tho, I can't even spend 4500 on a tranny... soo...?

Edit: Did you say Can or Cant do $3000?

If you have the money and want a peace of mind then VPRO is your choice, you always try to buy the best EMS you can afford. While you're at it you can add the HKS Navigator so you can see a little bit more on what's happening. VRPO will also prepare you just in case you build the motor down the road.

If you cant afford $3000+ then go with UTEC.

Last edited by FI'ed G; 10-11-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Wait, I'm completely dumbfounded.

I thought there was a 3rd EMU.

The VPRO really costs 1400$ ??? Where does the other 1500$ come into play, I'm completely confused now.

Last edited by Jtrain; 10-11-2007 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Ok, then just dump the Unichip and go Utec. Utec is very good but don't have the resolution of a VPro, it is more than enough for 400-500whp. Like on my previous post, you can do a lot more on Utec by yourself so you don't have to always go back to your tuner (ie, add fuel on specific cell, adjust Temp Compensation..etc) it is not that hard trust me, plus you'll get to do logging anytime you want.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:25 PM
Wait, I'm completely dumbfounded.

I thought there was a 3rd EMU.

The VPRO really costs 1400$ ??? Where does the other 1500$ come into play, I'm completely confused now.

believe me, after all the harness needed and install cost, you'll be in the $3000+ range.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by FI'ed G
believe me, after all the harness needed and install cost, you'll be in the $3000+ range.
I don't want to believe you I want someone to tell me how much the harness is? A link to buy it? The harness would have to be the same price as the unit for it to be 3000, assuming installation is 1000?

Old 10-11-2007, 10:26 PM
I don't want to believe you I want someone to tell me how much the harness is? A link to buy it? The harness would have to be the same price as the unit for it to be 3000, assuming installation is 1000?

Fine don't believe me it seem you know to much already

FYI you cant go cheap on this coz only HKS certified tuner can install and tune them, and guest what buddy, they all have the same price (go check GTM, Forged, MRC) if you want proof then check this thread coz I don't think you will find anything cheaper that this so go drive to NJ http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302214 This does not include the Knock Amp.

I'm done with you!

Old 10-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i think you are thinking of the HKS IS which is also a piggy back unit which is much cheaper then the VPRO

Old 10-12-2007, 05:05 AM
i'm still running on unichip and hitting it's max potential.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey man, bring your car up to me. i can install a utec or HKS ems for you and have it running top notch...

pm me for pricing and more details..

thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why buy the UTEC when...