Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Haltech Vs Fcon Pro

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2008 | 04:35 PM
|
Haltech Vs Fcon Pro

Ok so last time I asked about a Utec VS Fcon IS. In the middle of that I looked into an FCON pro and though it would work for me if I went FI. Now I'm reconsidering the standalones, and I don't see much info about the Haltech EMS, although it seems almost or just as good as the Fcon pro from reading various websites. They both offer the 32x32 resolution. The Haltech comes with knock detection and control. Does this mean the Haltech can tune itself for temperatures like the Fcon Pro can? The Fcon Pro, you need to get a knock amp, which is another 900 or so. You can also tune the Haltech yourself for minor issues, but the Fcon you can't. Haltech has onboard data logging, HKS none.

If the Haltech does all these things the Fcon doesn't, why is it that I hear so much about people going with Fcon pro over Haltech?

Also, does anyone know if and how a haltech offers map selection?

Last edited by EvolutionGSR; 03-29-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-29-2008 | 04:55 PM
2 seconds of search: http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...hlight=Haltech

Thats a great thread.

-AGThing1227

Old 03-29-2008 | 06:33 PM
Banned
I think you need to include the ProEFI to the list . All three seem to be able to do quit a bit

Old 03-29-2008 | 07:44 PM
The thing that made me choose Haltech over others is that it is unlocked, compared to the FCON which is locked and only tunable by select tuners, and the ProEFI which can be unlocked, but from what I understand, generally is not.

The Haltech includeds coolant temp correction factors and air intake temp correction factors. I can't speak for the FCON or the ProEFI, though I suspect they also have these tables.

Old 03-29-2008 | 09:33 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by caelric
The thing that made me choose Haltech over others is that it is unlocked, compared to the FCON which is locked and only tunable by select tuners, and the ProEFI which can be unlocked, but from what I understand, generally is not.

The Haltech includeds coolant temp correction factors and air intake temp correction factors. I can't speak for the FCON or the ProEFI, though I suspect they also have these tables.
I chose the Haltech also......its being installed and tuned this week

Old 03-29-2008 | 09:39 PM
You won't regret your choice!

Also,I would recommend installing the software onto your laptop/computer, saving the map on you computer and looking at all the settings, and getting familiar with it. It's very, very powerful, and interesting to see all the things you can do. If you do decide to make changes, make them small and see what they do to the AFR, and to the knock readings.

Old 03-29-2008 | 10:20 PM
|
Originally Posted by AGThing1227
2 seconds of search: http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...hlight=Haltech

Thats a great thread.

-AGThing1227
Ack....I never go over there unless Driver is down =). Ok next time I'll search there too.

Anyways....thanks for the responses.

Old 03-29-2008 | 10:28 PM
Although the Fcon vpro is a very capable unit in the hands of an experienced tuner, I would opt for the Haltech if u have the extra cash, if only for the added ability to adjust cam timing (which the vpro cannot), and it is not locked like the vpro is. My .002

Old 03-29-2008 | 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by EvolutionGSR
Ack....I never go over there unless Driver is down =). Ok next time I'll search there too.

Yea, I think they have more info then on Driver.

Old 03-29-2008 | 10:45 PM
|
Well unfortunately that thread didn't answer all my questions. For those of you who are getting the Haltech, how many maps does the Haltech let you have?

Also, from reading that thread, they mentioned that the haltech doesn't have active knock control. What is this? I did read somewhere that the Haltech will get form of knock control with a software update, I think on GTM's site. Is it active knock control?

Old 03-30-2008 | 12:23 AM

Much better technical info on 350z, especially when it comes to forced induction or tuning.

Old 03-30-2008 | 12:25 AM
Well unfortunately that thread didn't answer all my questions. For those of you who are getting the Haltech, how many maps does the Haltech let you have?

Also, from reading that thread, they mentioned that the haltech doesn't have active knock control. What is this? I did read somewhere that the Haltech will get form of knock control with a software update, I think on GTM's site. Is it active knock control?
Only one map at a time on the Haltech, although they are working on making it capable of holding more. The hardware is certainly capable, it's just a software issue at this point.

Not sure what "active knock control" means; I do know that the Haltech monitors the stock knock sensors (and can hook up with aftermarket knock sensors if you have one of those) and will pull timing if it detects knock above a certain threshold, which is completely configurable.

Old 04-04-2008 | 12:18 AM
Knock control was not present in the beta versions but am pretty sure it will be in release 1. You have always been able to monitor and log. A FI tune really should not be on the ragged edge, but I agree this is an important issue.

I was concerned about the only 1 map issue but honestly am not concerned with multiple maps anymore. There are so many load points that you can do a lot with just one map and the multitude of correction tables. That and the fact that loading a new map takes 15 secs if you have a laptop or carPC in place.

The best part about the Haltech if you ask me is the traction control stuff they are working on... that is going to be soooo nice.

Old 04-04-2008 | 10:57 AM
I think if you can wait then just wait until all of them (Pro-efi and Haltech) finish with all the upgrade or done fixing some of the bugs. It is better to just go to your tuner once to have everything tweaked and tuned rather to go back and have other feature added later on. If you can't want then VPro is more of a finished product right now but Haltech/Pro-Efi seem to have some more bells and whistle once they are finished.

Old 04-04-2008 | 12:06 PM
Haltech updates have been coming out rapidly (for an EMS). And there is a long line of goodies yet to come - so if you are awaiting "the final release", I am happy to say that day is a long way off. Every beta I have tried has been stable as a rock though so I have every confidence updating on my own. Your "tune" is not lost as you apply software updates.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Haltech Vs Fcon Pro