Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Advice/Tips needed on Vortech setup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice/Tips needed on Vortech setup

Hi all,

So here I am getting ready to pull the trigger on going FI. After reading many of the informative threads I've decided on going with a Vortech as it is more reliable for my 2004 5AT coupe. With that in mind I have my list of the things i'm going to purchase. If you could please let me know your opinion/advice on this it would be greatly appreciated!

Power Goals: 400whp/350-400tq

Pre-install:
GTM VB Upgrade
GTM Torque Converter - Not really needed as told by Nick at GTM as it's my DD and i won't be launching all that much

Potential Vortech Setup:
"Tuner Kit"

Pre-tapped Oil Pan - ? (dunno which to go with here)

3.12 Pulley (eventually...I want to try the stock 3.33 to ensure nothing is wrong with the blower)

Deastchworks 440 injectors

Walbro 255lhp fuel pump

EMU - ? (I'm thinking eManage Ultimate)

Reflash - ? (Kinda confused here)

Old 08-14-2008, 10:06 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
e-manage ultimate is a NO, I don't even think GTM will tune that if you go there. Flash, it's the SS Box flash that comes with the Vortech kit, in my opinion get a HKS Fcon IS or a Utec or something, but the out of the box flash will work also, not sure if it comes with the tuner it though. Torque converter is a good investment for its something down the road you probably have to do for your 5AT, especially if you upgrade your power, but then again its up to you. Most certainly get a External Tranny Cooler because your an Automatic also. Who are you planning to have do the install and tune? Seeing you're from H-town.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
dont be disappointed when you dont hit your goals. The 3.12 pulley on an AT would be maybe 370s with maybe 320 tq. I'd check other shop builds and make sure you are going to be happy with those #'s.

If you really want 400's, save a few more pennies and get a turbo kit.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Banned
Dont expect as much whp as the MT6 cars , on a Dynojet expect 360whp or so with 9psi . Dont try to hard or spend tons of cash trying to get a ton of hp out of it . The AT5 isnt going to produce it on the stock kit .

Old 08-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Don't waste money tuning for the 3.33 pulley if your going smaller anyway, you won't overspin the S/C on one step smaller pulley. Go for the smaller pulley and save yourself some coin with dyno time.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by G35Rider92649
e-manage ultimate is a NO, I don't even think GTM will tune that if you go there. Flash, it's the SS Box flash that comes with the Vortech kit, in my opinion get a HKS Fcon IS or a Utec or something, but the out of the box flash will work also, not sure if it comes with the tuner it though. Torque converter is a good investment for its something down the road you probably have to do for your 5AT, especially if you upgrade your power, but then again its up to you. Most certainly get a External Tranny Cooler because your an Automatic also. Who are you planning to have do the install and tune? Seeing you're from H-town.
GRider you're correct the SS Box Flash doesn't come with the tuner kit. As far as upgrading power...I won't say no but I will try really hard...I'm getting a GT-R so this is just going to be a fun daily driver so i should be satisfied with the power. As far as install I will be doing it myself I'm pretty mechanically inclined and i've helped install a friends TT in his 240sx so it's no biggie in that dept. Regards to tuning SGP is in my backyard and I may go see them. That same friend of mine knows the person who used to own a different shop but closed it down due to daytime job and new family. He's a whiz a tuning VQ's so at least I have a few options.

Originally Posted by booger
Dont expect as much whp as the MT6 cars , on a Dynojet expect 360whp or so with 9psi . Dont try to hard or spend tons of cash trying to get a ton of hp out of it . The AT5 isnt going to produce it on the stock kit
Hmm interesting....Not trying to challenge your knowledge or anything but I could've sworn there are some 5AT's on here pushing 400whp? If there are I hope they post. I'd like to know more on how their set up is. Also,
I spoke to Vortech and they stated "depending on the tuner" you can push my numbers with my setup. Do i believe them you ask? Ehh...i'm a skeptic so i dunno not sure. BUT...as long as i'm faster than a G37 i'm good! HAHAH

Thanks guys for the replies keep them coming!

Old 08-15-2008, 11:19 AM
...we dont need roads...

Like they have said you wont see 400whp with this setup. I have been chasing that number for years now. I say go with bigger injectors other than 440cc, a least 550cc. Go with the JWT oil pan and tap your oil block for the return. Start with the 3.12 pulley, 3.33 will honestly dissapoint you, maybe even make you cry.... TRUST me. Utec or the HKS will do good on your car, do not go Greddy!!!

Old 08-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by SKYLINE_GT
Like they have said you wont see 400whp with this setup. I have been chasing that number for years now. I say go with bigger injectors other than 440cc, a least 550cc. Go with the JWT oil pan and tap your oil block for the return. Start with the 3.12 pulley, 3.33 will honestly dissapoint you, maybe even make you cry.... TRUST me. Utec or the HKS will do good on your car, do not go Greddy!!!
Sigh...sometimes it sucks having a 5AT But as long as it's 375whp and not the stock 220whp that's good too...550cc not a bad idea..may as well go higher b/c as everyone knows going FI is addicting and more power will be needed. BTW I thought the JWT oil pan already came with a return hole? Yeah I will take ya'lls advice and get the 3.12 pulley from the start. Regarding the EMS i'm still a little indecisive on. Why not the Greddy? Or how about the Haltech?

Old 08-15-2008, 03:02 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Greddy is the most cheapest on the market you can buy for an EMS, its a piece of shiet and it's worthless, pisses off all tuners and tuners have to work around it to get it to work correctly, and even then it always has hiccups and glitches, switching from a Greddy to a better system you would feel a big difference, so might as well do it right the first time. SGP i have heard many horror stories about them so I don't know, of course I heard good things too, but more bad stories. I see many cars from Texas at GTM, from Subis to Zs and Gs so that speaks for it self. Get the 550cc, I'm running 550cc Power Enterprise Injectors no problem, making 375.2whp and 336.9tq on a dynojet. 5AT, getting a Tranny Cooler is a must, VB Upgrade also, TQ Converter is an option but I'd do it if you got the money.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
stay away from SGP, too many horror stories for me to trust them now

def ditch the emanage ultimate, its crap

haltech is baller but a utec is good and cheap

550cc injectors should do the trick

a good tuner should get you 370rwhp and 330ft-lbs

mike (express) just left performance factory w/ those numbers

sick work!

Old 08-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
boost?

Old 08-15-2008, 04:32 PM
Wow...that's interesting...Being a local i've heard the horror stories too but i'm surprised folks out on the east and west coast have heard it too...Wow! In that respect I won't judge them by the stories but I do get your point and will be leery.

And the Haltech is baller! It was suggested to me by Engine Logics. (another local shop) as that is what they tune mainly and are very good tuners. I'm still researching on the UTEC I've read some people have had issues with it though (i'll do more research thouhg) and moved to the Haltech.

G35Rider - I wish i could put send my car there for tuning but my G is my daily so that would be a bit of a predicament.

Express - Huh? Boost?

Old 08-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Infinite1
Wow...that's interesting...Being a local i've heard the horror stories too but i'm surprised folks out on the east and west coast have heard it too...Wow! In that respect I won't judge them by the stories but I do get your point and will be leery.

And the Haltech is baller! It was suggested to me by Engine Logics. (another local shop) as that is what they tune mainly and are very good tuners. I'm still researching on the UTEC I've read some people have had issues with it though (i'll do more research thouhg) and moved to the Haltech.

G35Rider - I wish i could put send my car there for tuning but my G is my daily so that would be a bit of a predicament.

Express - Huh? Boost?
yeah, if you dont mind the extra money def go for the haltech, much better than the utec

and dont worry bout mike, he's simple minded

Old 08-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by HomieG35
Good luck man! Glad you FINALLY are taking this step
Hahaha! Come on now...it's only been how many...err nevermind ...hahah

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Advice/Tips needed on Vortech setup