Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

SSR twin turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 01:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SSR twin turbo

Could anyone give me any comments or news about the SSR Twin Turbo... Any news would be appreciated..good?bad?. Yes I know its very expensive but it seems to be the only twin turbo that will fit an 5AT Coupe. Or is there another TT that will fit w/o major modifications. I prefer going TT than S/C but if theres no luck in getting a TT that'll fit...S/C might be my only opinion for FI. Thanks alot guys....

Old 07-06-2004, 01:50 AM
Re: SSR twin turbo

The only TT that will fit the 5AT coupe? How about Greddy and PE (the last one will defintiely fit b/c i have it on a 5AT sedan). Greddy SHOULD and WILL (I'd guess) fit, as your car is NO different from a 6MT coupe, although they will say that it hasn't been tested on a 5AT.

I saw the dyno charts of the SSR (or at least a discussion of the dyno numbers that they got) and I was pretty uneasy. They do have a full fuel-return system, which they pride themselves on and site it as part of the reason that the kit is so expensive, but so do I, and mine couldn't add that much to the cost. Don't get me wrong, the kit looked solid. But...

I was uneasy about the tuning. They had the 5AT coupe (the test car) at 6.5 psi making ~405 hp. that was impressive, until I saw that they do NOT pull any timing, and from what I remember, their "black box" could not retard timing (and neither did they want to). The A/F was just made to be extra rich (10.6 at redline) to remedy the situation (to prevent detonation), but that is NOT a good way to go (they disagreed, with nearly the entire 350z board). The 405 hp at 6.5 psi should tip you off, that that setup is NOT safe; that's way too much power to be made at 6.5 psi. Then again, I really liked the manifolds, or at least how they described them; they were saying that they were "equal length" (and Jason of PerfNissan confirmed that to me over the phone). If that is true, that's good for a few hp I am sure. On the flip side though, the long SS runners will make them more prone to cracking (larger pieces are weaker). Also, the 405hp was made in combination with their custom intake manifold, which has short runners (which traditionally aid the top end at the expense of low end/mid range).

Again, do not quote me on this, but the hardware side looked good. The comments on tuning (above) are my opinion only, but I'll say that almost everyone that has gone FI will tell you that even at 6.5psi you DEFINITELY SHOULD (and I day MUST) pull timing to be safe. There are way too many variables at work (hot weather, etc.). If you really like the kit, you could get it and remedy the timing situation with an ECU reflash (it can DEFINITELY be done). So don't let that hold you back. Weigh all the facts (cost, quality, etc) and make your decision

I hope this helps, though

Gurgen

Old 07-06-2004, 07:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, something didn't quite seem right about that dyno (even considering the lack of timing retard). And when I spoke to the guys at SSR on the phone I didn't come away feeling any better about things. They said that their kit includes a split second box but the guy I spoke to was unable to give me a model number.

BTW, we've seen a few more blown engines from the my350z forum in the last few weeks. The most recent was a Greddy kit at 6psi.

--Steve

Old 07-06-2004, 08:00 AM

That kit supposedly made by SSR was really made by Speed Force Racing in San Diego, if you want real information about the kit call the people who fabricated the kit, talk to Keith Ta at speed force racing, they had their black 5AT coupe at Stillen day and I heard it put like 410 - 420 at the wheels.

'04 G35 Sedan 6 MT DG/DG
'02 BMW M5 13.3 @ 107 (wifey)
'03 Cadillac Escalade
'04 Infiniti QX56 (YEAH!!!)

Old 07-06-2004, 08:06 AM

Thanks for the input, I will wait till more info comes out for any TT FI. ^5 Gurgen ...solid car.

Old 07-06-2004, 08:44 AM

There's TONS of information about FI for our cars. You're just not reading the right forum for it. Sign up for my350z.com and read the FI forum.

--Steve

Old 07-06-2004, 12:05 PM

thanks.

Like Seve says above, there is tons of into on my350z in the FI section. That's where you really wanna be, that's sure where we get our info! Lurk there for a while and you will start getting a sense for things... IMO, if you want something on the budget/cheap side - go GRreddy, otherwise go PE or a nice custom tt setup like what's zimbo or WhiteG (Tom) is doing.

Gurgen

Old 07-06-2004, 12:13 PM

Gurgen:
Hmm, Not really sure how you could call GReddy on the budget cheap side. In fact if your going FI I don't think there is anything on a "budget or cheap side." If its budget your going after than stick to cold air intakes and exhausts. I'm feeling some PE arrogance here.

DJ G-Cue's Project SEMA G35 visit:
www.djgcue.com

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Old 07-06-2004, 12:30 PM

I'm certain Gurgen means "inexpensive compared to other available TT kits" and that's indeed true. The Greddy is the least expensive kit available by considerable margin. But out-of-the-box it has no way of managing timing retard (unless I'm mistaken) and its turbos are less efficient at 6-10psi than the other kits.

The least expensive FI solution I know of is the Vortech kit which can cost as "little" as $5000 including installation. If you have a laptop and have a dyno shop in your area you can learn how to custom tune the kit yourself using a simple software package (i.e. R4 software).

--Steve

Old 07-06-2004, 12:54 PM
Team Transport Member

Listen to Gurgen dude he knows what he's talking about I too looked for the cheaper way out and thought about greddy but you get what you pay for at the end not to dog on people with the greddy kit but you can build much better setups and theree are of course a few setups out for just a little more cash and its a much better bang for the buck.

(I'm still oing custom setup sorry Gurgen)

03 6MT Coupe Blk/Blk> Injen CAI, Hotchkis adj Sway Bars, Test Pipes< "Nt G R8D" Aj

Old 07-06-2004, 01:00 PM

I'm not sure about this but I don't believe any TT kit out-of-the box is capable of managing timing retard, at the moment. The Greddy turbines are more efficient for higher boost levels which is ideal for those who are planning bottom end builds such as myself. Both PE and GReddy kits has it pros and cons. I had an opportunity to acquire either kit, I chose the GReddy due to time constraints. Had I to do it again I would have held off on the FI until I built my engine due to some of the engine failures that have occurred. It's scary to think that as little as 6.6 PSI could blow an engine like joenismo's.

www.djgcue.com

Old 07-06-2004, 01:10 PM

Zaza,

I agree with you that there are potentially much better setups that the GReddy kit or PE kit for that matter. Sure Gurgen appears to know what he's talking about in relation to the PE kit but so do alot of GReddy owners about their particular kits. People like GQ626 on the my350z forums have been tuning their GReddy Z's and producing what appears to be safe and reliable power. Whether you purchase a GReddy kit or PE kit you will be getting a quality kit. Either kit could "blow" your engine depending upon your tuning methods. The TT kits are not the bottleneck, we FI users already are aware of the weak rods that are in our engines. I believe the wise choice for those considering FI is to build your bottom end first and avoid the headaches of a blown block.

Anyway my posts are not intended to flame anyone here. Just to give a better understanding that if you are planning to invest in FI be prepared for the potential liabilities that lie ahead, which exists no matter which kit you end up purchasing. There is no "budget or cheap" method to FI.

www.djgcue.com

Old 07-06-2004, 01:26 PM
Team Transport Member

No doubt GQ I agree I just wasnt pleased with what I saw from the GREDDY kit but that is my opinion your setup looked sweet when I saw it at HB. hopefully i can get my money situation straight and have my kit installed already since its just sitting in a box at the shop.

Indeed there is no such thing as cheap mods!

03 6MT Coupe Blk/Blk> Injen CAI, Hotchkis adj Sway Bars, Test Pipes< "Nt G R8D" Aj

Old 07-06-2004, 01:27 PM

djcue

i am not sure how you saw "pe arrogance", but $5400 for a twin turbo is cheap. Of course this term is relative, that defintiely goes without saying. Just look at the next more expensive kit, it's prolly PE coming in at just over $7200, then SSR at over $8200 (and they ar enot budging on the price). Also, it Japan, Greddy IS known as the budget buy; PE and TopSecret are known for it's quality. It is however, very very decent.

Believe me, I have researche the Greddy AND the PE for countless, countelss hours, so I know as much about Greddy as i do about PE; IMO PE was a better fit for me. Not too long ago I made a post about the merits of both kits on my350z, you may have seen it. Sharif (gq_626) is a friend, and we met up a couple of times and discussed both kits at length, and I am certainly not dissing the Greddy. $2000 bucks is a lot of money, however, and I'll tell you, I thought about springing for Greddy mor ethan once, but at the end I just wanted to get something right for this car the first time

And you are absolutely right, either kit WILL blow your engine faster than you think.

Gurgen

Old 07-06-2004, 01:48 PM

Hereisa cut an dpaste fro mby my350z post:
========

I have the PE kit and I love it. With a VERY VERY safe program at only 4.34 psi I am making pretty good times (-6-8 degrees of timing taken off and a 10.7-11.2 a/f @ top end). I have posted all this before in a separate thread, you can check it out.

Allow me to express my opinion, and it is only that, so please no flaming. If I make a mistake on anything factual, do not hesitate to point it out, i'll be the firstto admit it.

PE:
I believe that the kit is more complete out of the box:
1) the turbos are ball-bearing PE1420's (as opposed to sleeve type mistubishi's)
2) they are better sized for the engine, as long as you are boosting under ~15-17psi, after which Greddy will be more efficient than PE.
3) comes with a nice (cooling) oil pan
4) hand-made, ported SS manifolds
5) the best intercooler money can buy (ARC)
6) plug-in PE380cc injectors (no need to hack up wires to install them)
7) the kit comes with a full fuel return fuel system, complete with a walbro 255 and a rising rate FPR (something that would cost at least an additional ~$400 to be added to the greddy setup).
8) you get to keep your bumper brace - the loss of which was a deal-breaker for me
9) the kit fits very well, almost like a glove (there was only 1 pipe that needed bending to give more clearance than was provided originally) - but then again, remember this kit was tested only on the coupe and i have a sedan.
10) right out of the box, you only need the correct TS reflash to run higher boost (no fuel pumps/fpr's to add - all included) - in addition to the boost controller which is neede din both cases.
11) IMO, the fact that it requires no additional hardware and that it can safely be controlled by the native ECU with the correct program, was the biggest selling point for me. I just did not want two different computers to talk to eachother.

All for about $800-1000 more than Greddy. The downside is that you will prolly need to wait for a while til your kit arrives (I have been waiting since April), unless you can order one directly from PE.
You CAN add emanage onto PE if you wish, or HKS F-con for that matter (greddy said that emanage WILL work with pe injectors).

Greddy:
1) Much more capable of efficient higher boost levels then PE (bigger turbos, larger injectors).
2) The cast iron manifolds are virtually indestructable and will last forever, while PE's ported SS manifolds, though superior, are much more prone to expansion and cracking (more so if you do not take care of them).
4) comes with emanage, which in combination with the correct/selectable map, can deliver efficient power production at any selected boost level, while with PE (if you choose to stay without any piggyback computers), you are tuned (by way of a TS reflash) for the highest boost that you will run, allowing you to safely turn down boost (and run less than most efficiently possible through of course safe). Of course emanage can be had for under $300 if you so choose.
5) if you are going to be running higher boost - e-manage can clamp the maf voltage at 5.00v, preventing the car from going into limp mode. SO far, however, this has not been seen on the PE at up to 9psi of boost.
6) and here is a biggie, greddy actually has a presence in the US rather than just a small office in orange county, SoCal (i.e. PE) (although personally, I could careless about this as it will be IMPOSSIBLE for you to get anything out of greddy/any other company, should something go wrong in a major way). So you definitely have more support here - a great thing!
7) Greddy is more likely to be carb-approved SOME DAY, whereas PE will NOT ever be IMO.

Guys, feel free to add to this list/coorect me. It's late and I may have missed something.

Gurgen

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SSR twin turbo