G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://g35driver.com/forums/forced-induction-24/)
-   -   Specifics on Blown Motors (https://g35driver.com/forums/forced-induction/285371-specifics-blown-motors.html)

Cueball369 04-30-2009 01:52 AM

Specifics on Blown Motors

In the next couple of months I will be going TT with my 05 AT sedan.:biggthumpup: I know that our motors are far from perfect. So I have a lot of supporting mods on the way before I put the TT on. TQ, VB, oil coolers, bigger radiator, etc... I already know that our connecting rods are **** on FI, but what else are the weak points in our engines??? Thanks

G37Rider92649 04-30-2009 03:17 AM

Standard - Get all Coolers, oil & Tranny. Get your VB Upgrade.

Next, get your cooling mods if you want. Water/Methanol would help too.

With all these just have your tuner up the boost and tune it to where he thinks its safe for the mean-time. You seem like you got it man.

Want to upgrade more, then build your motor. And yes our rods are like mash potatoes.

But regardless when you're boosted, and especially on a stock block, watch your full throttle, dont punch it tooooooooooooo much IMO. Boost on VQ and stock block is like smoking. Yeah you'll be fine and you can smoke for long time, but when the time comes....:o Same with Booost

Cueball369 04-30-2009 09:48 AM

ok so what I think im going to do is to get in some new connecting rods and put them in before the turbo because it seems like that is what most people have problems with when they blow the motor. I'm only aiming for around 380 at the wheels. so nothing big but I just want it to be reliable.

Its SOOOO HARD not to punch it... even with NA... ugh....:D

thanks rider...

str8dum1 04-30-2009 12:18 PM

doin rods is not as trivial as "get in some new connecting rods and put them in"

you have to tear apart the entire motor. at that point, not doin pistons, studs, and gaskets would be a waste of time and money.

do you really think you'll be happy at 380? probably not after a month.

Jtrain 04-30-2009 09:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Cueball369 (Post 4171813)
In the next couple of months I will be going TT with my 05 AT sedan.:biggthumpup: I know that our motors are far from perfect. So I have a lot of supporting mods on the way before I put the TT on. TQ, VB, oil coolers, bigger radiator, etc... I already know that our connecting rods are **** on FI, but what else are the weak points in our engines??? Thanks

Hey guess what happened to me.

GreenGoblin 05-01-2009 08:33 AM

Jtram let me have that bent rod to make as a trophy for the next show.

Jtrain 05-01-2009 12:52 PM

Hell no, It's a murder weapon. My roommate did this to my car- He killed my motor and now it will kill him.

djamps 05-05-2009 03:12 PM

You shouldn't be bending rods at your desired power levels unless the tune is bad or something else goes horribly wrong. If you have a UTEC or equivilant that monitors knock all the way to redline along with boost cut and a decent tune, you should be good. Also add bigger injectors, pump, and possibly a FRS.

ttrank 05-05-2009 03:20 PM

+1

I ran my car at 8psi (405whp/399tq) for about a year on the stock block. It was running great when I built the motor.

Glex25 05-05-2009 04:13 PM

I been running my motor for 2yrs @ 427whp/405TQ and done countless track events and daily drive it and have had no issue.

2 main things

Tuning
Maintenance

If you slack on maintenance then Fi is not for you.

Jtrain 05-06-2009 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by djamps (Post 4188996)
You shouldn't be bending rods at your desired power levels unless the tune is bad or something else goes horribly wrong. If you have a UTEC or equivilant that monitors knock all the way to redline along with boost cut and a decent tune, you should be good. Also add bigger injectors, pump, and possibly a FRS.

I thought I had a tune.

I didn't.