Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Turbo insurance rates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo insurance rates

ok, so i'm looking at going FI, and i've been looking at either vortech sc, or Greddy TT (found one cheap). i was wondering tho, what will it do to my insurance rates.

Do i need to report the turbo/SC to my insurance company?
Will my rates increase as a result?
If I don't tell them that I went FI, and get into an accident, will they find out and refuse to cover my accident/drop me?

Old 12-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Never, EVER, tell the insurance company what modifications you have in your car. They are in the insurance business and will always give you the least risky answer - in otherwords, fork over the dough boy!

You don't need to report anything to them.

If you get into an accident, they almost never look under the engine anyways, and if they did, they wouldn't have a clue anyways.

Of course, don't expect them to pick up the bill for your FI modifications if you *should* crash your car. You will get the fair market deprecieated value of the car in that case to whatever the adjuster decides.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:42 PM
ok, so i'm looking at going FI, and i've been looking at either vortech sc, or Greddy TT (found one cheap).
BTW, no such thing as CHEAP when it comes to FI. Even if you get a Greddy TT package for cheap, you'll likely pay almost 2x as much as that kit just for supporting mods. Same with Vortech S/C. If the tuner kit is say $4k, then expect to put about $8k into it before you get a finished, tuned product.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
You can insure your car for a specific amount. If you want to cover the cost of your mods just tell your agent that you want to insure your car for ($15K for the car + 5K to replace the mods, etc = 20K) a higher amount.

I have my car covered for a higher cost due to the mods I've done.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:25 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
You can insure your car for a specific amount. If you want to cover the cost of your mods just tell your agent that you want to insure your car for ($15K for the car + 5K to replace the mods, etc = 20K) a higher amount.

I have my car covered for a higher cost due to the mods I've done.
I second that.

Just raise your coverage amount and you'll be good to go.

you will need a lawyer tho to get those $$ out of ins company once you have an accident. But I'd rather pay some $ to the attorney and get paid for all of my mods than fight it your self and not get ****.

So simple solution of your problem is to raise the amount of your coverage and not tell INS company anything about your mods.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
used Vortech SC = 3k - 3.8k (i paid 3600 full kit with smaller pulley and 430CC injectors)

radiator + oil cooler + Transcooler(if 5AT) + tune + fans = 2k roughly
(i spent more due to buying an ARC oil cooler)

like they all said.. get a higher coverage rate and call it a day... if you buy a brand new Full kit its around $5,500 from almost any vendor if you look around for a used kit they roughly sell for $3k - $4k depending on condition and usage and version (V2 or V3)

Old 12-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What happens if you have an at fault accident where you hurt or kill someone. Insurance Fraud is easy to prove and they will find things you never imagined, Such as your speed 3, 2, 1 seconds BEFORE the impact to help build a criminal case against you so they get partially off the hook.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:26 AM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I think the key there is don't be stupid with the extra power. With great power comes great responsibility. If you're going to light it up, only do so under the safest conditions for you and the people around you.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i spoke with my insurance provider (usaa) and we discussed this topic. they said a that there are a few ways to cover aftermarket parts on my vehicle. they said if i have receipts to any aftermarket part i have on it then it'll be covered. but, i buy most of my parts used and do not have any receipts. So, they then said that if i have pictures documenting everything on the car, it will be covered. and in the case of me having done something in the engine (built motor), then i can have it inspected by a shop and have them verify and document everything that the engine has done to it. then it will be covered in case of accident (regardless of who is at fault), theft, etc..

just fyi.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:18 AM
That works. Glad to hear it.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
however, i would certainly double check with your insurance provider if that would work for you.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:10 PM
wow, thanks for all the info, it's great to know what it is that I have to do. I'll keep looking for aftermarket mods, but I'm gonna wait until I graduate High School to go FI, and talk to my insurance company to see if they need receipts, or if only pictures will suffice. Thank you for all the information

Old 12-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I think what conserned him was the extra power putting him in a higher risk bracket. I'm with the first respondent, don't ask, don't tell.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Geico says they wont even insure an aftermarker turbocharged vehicle...wtf

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo insurance rates