Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Single Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 09:24 PM
GSQUAD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Single Turbo

will be at sema this fall and will be onsale early 2005
headers are not replaced cats are removed

-Dave

Old 09-11-2004, 03:10 PM
Re: Single Turbo

i wonder how efficient that thing is gonna be, especially since the charge pipe runs right over ther turbo b4 it gets to the intake plenum. should be interesting though.

04 DG/G/6MT/Premium/Nav/Clear Bra
Bone Stock...to be continued...
"You kill mah brodah, now I kill you!" - some old kung-fu flick

Old 09-11-2004, 07:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The temperature of the charge pipe is going to have very little effect on intake air temps. Considering the volume and speed of the air in the pipes at full throttle, the dwell time will be small. Secondly, the surface area to volume ratio is quite low.

Is this kit put together by Turbonetics? I am thinking it is with the turbonetics imprint on the turbo and the spearco I/C. Some additional technical specs would be nice.

Old 09-13-2004, 10:14 AM
GSQUAD

yeah its made by turbonetics

-Dave

Old 09-13-2004, 01:06 PM
Premier Member

Any price ideas?

Thanks - Joey Avino

Old 09-13-2004, 04:44 PM
GSQUAD

between 5-6k

-Dave

Old 09-13-2004, 05:12 PM
Premier Member

That's not installed is it? I doubt it... sounds cool. I'll wait to hear about this before I purchase my Stillen Supercharger. Hopefully by next summer I'll have some sort of FI.

Thanks - Joey Avino

Old 09-13-2004, 05:19 PM
GSQUAD

not installed

-Dave

Old 09-14-2004, 08:19 PM
Banned

They just posted a dyno of this turbo at My350z.com

Couldnt afford it when young...gonna play when Im old

Old 09-14-2004, 10:43 PM
Premier Member

A direct link would be nice...

Thanks - Joey Avino

Old 09-17-2004, 04:06 PM

A few points about this setup.

a) it is intended to be a value vs. performance oriented kit, which is easy to install/de-install.

b) It will not provide the quick spool times when compared to any of the TT configurations.

c) the "largest" impasse to good spool performance is the "long" exhaust plumbing between the head exhust ports and the snail. This is a fact of geometry as to were a single snail must be placed beneath the bonnet.

So I personally characterize this system as an "exhaust driven Vortech" . It is not and never will be perfomance comparable to any of the TT systems. If you look at the shape of the non-flat TQ curve you will see what I mean.

It is what it is.

Old 09-17-2004, 05:58 PM

I can't get into my350z.com to see the dyno. Nor do I know any specs. Can anyone chime in with them?

As far as spool, while heat can be lost from a cross-over pipe, this is not the first time it has been done. And while it's not optimal, it's not going to kill power delivery. If spool time is really that much of an issue here, I'd probably be looking at the size of the turbo itself. The turbo in the pic appears to be pretty big.

Old 09-17-2004, 06:12 PM

You can shrink the snail , improve the spool and reduce the peak hp. It's always a trade-off, However; in this case the Exhaust plumbing is the biggest detriment to spool up. Its not just heat ls loss, its exhaust transit time and gas compression. You will see, regardless of the snail chosen it is at a huge thermodynamic disadvantage on the VQ configuration.

On another point, this kit does not ,and will never pass an emmissions test CARB or otherwise. Besides the fact that it requires the removal of the CATs , even if the CATs were somehow left intact the cold start light up time would be grossly violated.

Again , it is what it is , no ofense to Turbonetics, you can't turn "one apple into two oranges" in this application. It is intended to be a cheap "for off road use only " kit.

Old 09-17-2004, 10:45 PM
Man with green rock in Vortech

all true about comparing it to TT, except for up top end. a bigger single turbo will definitely go to town on the little twins with respectable amounts of boost. a lot people simply prefer a single setup due to install and amount of piping and pieces (and price).

the charge pipe sitting over top the turbo is kind of silly, somewhat defeats the entire point of it being intercooled. hmm.

October 2nd - Jacksonville, FL G35/350Z Meet

Old 09-18-2004, 02:52 AM

You're not going to lose 900 degrees Celsius that quickly. While having a turbo close to the exhaust ports is ideal, the biggest factor here will likely be the actual amount of exhaust energy. While temperature is a factor, so is the flow of air. 800 degree celsius at 30 lbs/min carries a lot more exhaust energy then 900 degrees celsius at 15 lbs/min. With half the cylinders reaching high temps and the other half only losing a relatively small amount, spool up should not be terrible.

Few turbo kits in general actually have CARB EO numbers. And I don't think Turbonetics is claiming it to be a twin turbo. It should be quite competetive still. And I didn't realize being cheap was such a bad thing. For the most part turbonetics products are pretty high quality stuff. About the only thinkg from then I don't trust are their wastegates. I haven't heard anything about their new wastegate though in terms of reliability.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Single Turbo