Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

TURBO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TURBO

Has anyone considered turboing their G35? From the looks of the exhaust manifold placement, it may be necessary for a twin turbo setup. With the stock compression ratio, it should easily be good for 8psi. Any thoughts.... (just curious)

Old 10-30-2002, 01:31 AM
Banned
Re: TURBO

Yeah, I am currently torn right know between a twin turbo and a super charger. Stillen has a prototype super charger they are going to release for the G35 that will fit under the hood and is supposed to be good for an additional 70hp. I guess I will have to see what comes out from after market companies once things get rolling. I am also very interested to see what Nismo will offer.

Todd Carlson

Old 10-30-2002, 02:37 AM

Considering the already poor gas mileage, I'd have to opt for a turbo. But as for initial cost, the supercharger might not be a bad investment. Just the 2 turbos alone would cost nearly half that of a supercharger...or 2 turbo manifolds, for that matter. :P

Old 10-30-2002, 09:57 AM

I have never done supercharger or turbo mods to a car before, but I would definitely be interested if it was somewhat affordable. What are the price ranges for projects like these?

Old 10-30-2002, 11:49 AM

already single turbo setup for 350Z. You have to look at the single intake throttle. And there are also superchargers.

I will prefer supercharger due to it's better engine response.

1993 300ZX NA Stg VI
G35c supercharged in the future

Old 10-30-2002, 02:17 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I will prefer supercharger due to it's better engine response.

<hr></blockquote>

That's true, but a turbo system can be more easily modified. However, it'll probably cost between $5-6k for a proper turbo setup (including labor).

Old 10-31-2002, 10:01 AM

depends did stillen say if that hp is to the wheels or to the flywheel.

because its to the wheels, the sedan might not get the 70 hp.
longer drive train, auto tranny, no lsd

Old 11-07-2002, 10:15 PM

I always thought VQ engines are not really turbo-friendly.... much to skyline enthusiasts' dismay....

Old 11-07-2002, 11:29 PM

yea, unless you swap out pistons for lower compression ones...You won't be able to run too much boost without problems. Supercharger would be optimal. Twin turbo setups are best left to the manufacturer, or those with entirely too much money to spend. If one turbo doesn't do it for you, get a bigger one! :-P

I originally wanted to pursue a turbo setup for the G35 coupe, but if the supercharger heads come out with something amazing...I'm all about instant boost ;-)

Straights are for fast cars...Turns are for fast DRIVERS

Old 11-13-2002, 04:31 AM

a supercharger (in my opinion) is always better.You have acces to immediate power. The turbo kicks in after a certain rpm. But the twin-turbo is like having double the power all the time. Upon the arrival of the all mighty Skyline GTR to the states, the aftermarket world would have no choice in matching that power for the rest of us.

Old 11-13-2002, 04:29 PM

Sure, a supercharger's fine if you don't mind the frequent gas station visits. A turbo set-up would be a more friendly daily driver. As for internals, I'm not looking to break any land records here...a 6-8lbs boost would be sufficient with the stock pistons. However, I'm still curious about the single turbo set-up, considering the engine is no longer "in-line".

Old 11-13-2002, 11:33 PM

I thought supercharger is more friendly for daily commuters because of the lack of lag..... the power being leanear....
hmmmm. could you explain why turbo is more friendly???

Old 11-14-2002, 10:31 AM

Of course a supercharger will perform with less lag (maybe none at all), but as a daily driver, you're going to burn more fuel and work the engine harder due to having the power all the time. As for a turbo, it'll be there when you need it...in normal driving conditions, the car will at like a stock unit, but will be prepared to scream when the time comes. Driving around town, the stock 280hp should be more than suffice...this is assuming that you have a manuel. Automatics would benefit a lot more from a supercharger.

Old 11-14-2002, 06:15 PM

Turbo is always better both in terms of low end power and also fun factor. the SC has NEVER impressed me and always seems to post slower times despite similar HP numbers on the dyno. Also, turbo kits can be tuned for whatever you like. We even limit boost in 1st gear sometimes to make launching easier on FWD and RWD cars. That being said I will be offering the Power Enterprise Twin Turbo kits soon. Go to my website under Power Enterprise for a few small sneak peak photos and pricing. They are ball bearing turbos and we've had great success with their kits on the MRS and the WRX's as well as the 300Z TT's.

Dan
99 GS400

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TURBO